Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 04:56 PM   #21
Anaximander
 
Anaximander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Augusta, GA
Default Re: Basic Set Unarmed Combat boxing questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
I can't find in anywhere in Basic Set, which is odd.
Nor could I. except for that you could perform two separate parries at no penalty and the wording of off-hand weapon training letting you buy off the penalty for "one specific Melee Weapon skill".
Anaximander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:01 PM   #22
Gollum
 
Gollum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: France
Default Re: Basic Set Unarmed Combat boxing questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaximander View Post
Indeed it is, sir. I think this is a house rule that could be great success, if a bit complex in terms of keeping track of step use.
Yes... Maybe... Since most maneuvers just allow to do one step, it is quite easy to do without memory effort.

And it does correspond to what I experiment in karate. When you step in one direction while attacking, it is very hard to step in another direction in the same second… Just try it at home. A one yard step forward and a one yard step backward… Almost impossible to do both in one second (one turn)!

Having said that, I believe more and more than my interpretation of the rules is not the good one. Thanks for this discussion!

Hoping it was not too boring for Joppeknol…

Last edited by Gollum; 08-02-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:10 PM   #23
Ulzgoroth
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Default Re: Basic Set Unarmed Combat boxing questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
But note than when you all-out attack, you can only move forward (up to half your move), which prevent you to retreat in most of cases. When you move and attack, you cannot any more retreat. A possible interpretation: you have use all your move and then cannot anymore move.
All Out Attack doesn't allow any defenses whatsoever. You can't retreat because you can't defend. (Note aside that 'retreat' can be twisted to forward movement, with MA's Slip option. See p124)

Move and Attack doesn't require you to use all your potential movement any more than Move does. So that interpretation doesn't stand up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaximander View Post
Nor could I. except for that you could perform two separate parries at no penalty and the wording of off-hand weapon training letting you buy off the penalty for "one specific Melee Weapon skill".
I would have said it was clear from the basic set, but thus far I haven't been able to find where it's documented.
__________________
I don't know any 3e, so there is no chance that I am talking about 3e rules by accident.
Ulzgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:20 PM   #24
PK
 
PK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Dobbstown Sane Asylum
Default Re: Basic Set Unarmed Combat boxing questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by joppeknol View Post
1) Is retreating dodge always possible, provided there is space behind you?
Almost always possible. It's important to remember that you cannot retreat after a Move and Attack, and that you can only retreat once per turn against a single foe -- your defense bonus only applies against that foe!

Quote:
It would lead to boxers stepping to and fro during defense and attack, which seems a bit silly.
Silly? You've just described a modern boxing match to a tee. In fact, the arguably greatest advancement in boxing technique was the addition of footwork -- nimble fighters who could dance back and forth all began defeating those who stood and pummeled.

Quote:
Do people rule that you can only retreat when you haven't spend a step in your turn? Why do or why don't?
Some do, sure. I don't, because a good fighter should be able to remain fluid and mobile in a fight, and retreating simulates that. Also, it makes a fight versus one person vastly different than a fight against two or more. When you suddenly can't retreat against every attack, and you're used to relying on that bonus, running away becomes an attractive option.

Quote:
2) Shouldn't boxing remove the -4 penalty for off-hand? It would seem more realistic to me, and it would make boxing more reasonable against brawling.
Actually, all unarmed skills ignore the "off-hand penalty." This is not made very clear in the Basic Set, unfortunately. Martial Arts clarified it.

Quote:
3) A left and a right first are two weapons, so doing you can strike twice with a -4 penalty (provided previous point or if your have karate skill). Rapid strike penalty -6 can be halved to 3 by spending 1 fp.

So, striking twice with the same hand would be less at a penalty than striking with the left and right hand. Is not including a similar 'extra effort' option on dual weapon attacks an oversight, or does it have a reason?
Yes, because DWAs can be bought off as a technique in many games. So typically, any fighter who uses them frequently will do so. That said, it'd be perfectly reasonable for you to allow Flurry of Blows to interact with DWA, bringing the penalty to -2.

Quote:
4) Do I read the rules on B420 correctly if I assume it is possible that a boxing match ends in 1 second with one of the fighter having lost only 1 hp? (but taking 1 hp on the face and rolling -5 on his HT roll to avoid knockdown).
No, that's not quite correct. A 1-hp wound to the face requires a HT roll, not a HT-5 roll. The -5 is for a major wound to the face -- e.g., a HP 10 man must take 6+ points of injury.

So an average HT 10 man who takes 1 point of injury to the face must roll HT. He has a 50% chance of being fine, a 45% chance of being stunned, and a 5% chance of passing out. In other words, that's enough injury to cause what doctors would call a concussion. If the same man took 6 points of damage to the face, he'd almost certainly be stunned and would have a 50% chance of passing out -- and in the real world, an injury on that scale would probably disfigure him in some way and put him in the hospital for days.
__________________
Reverend Pee Kitty of the Order Malkavian-Dobbsian (Twitter) (LJ)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:23 PM   #25
PK
 
PK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Dobbstown Sane Asylum
Default Re: Basic Set Unarmed Combat boxing questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
I can't find in anywhere in Basic Set, which is odd.
You won't find it stated explicitly, though a careful reading reveals that it was the base assumption while many rules were written. This is an oversight that was corrected in GURPS Martial Arts.
__________________
Reverend Pee Kitty of the Order Malkavian-Dobbsian (Twitter) (LJ)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:29 PM   #26
Gollum
 
Gollum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: France
Default Re: Basic Set Unarmed Combat boxing questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
All Out Attack doesn't allow any defenses whatsoever. You can't retreat because you can't defend. (Note aside that 'retreat' can be twisted to forward movement, with MA's Slip option. See p124)

Move and Attack doesn't require you to use all your potential movement any more than Move does. So that interpretation doesn't stand up.
You're right… And you definitely convinced me that my interpretation wasn't so good.

Thank you for that. My players will be happy to have the possibility to step and retreat during the same turn! Even if it is not very realistic in one second. But no matter. GURPS is not always realistic (and does not pretend to be, even if it is one of the most realistic rpg).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
I would have said it was clear from the basic set, but thus far I haven't been able to find where it's documented.
It is clear for Karate. It is explicitly written in the description of this skill:“(at no -4 fir the off-hand)”. But it is not for Boxing and Brawling…

Having said that, the rule about handedness say “This [the -4] does not apply to things you normally do with your “off” hand, like using a shield”. Bowers and brawlers normally use their off-hand to punch or parry.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:36 PM   #27
Gollum
 
Gollum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: France
Default Re: Basic Set Unarmed Combat boxing questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
You won't find it stated explicitly...
Except in the Karate skill description. GURPS considers that Karatekas are better warriors than boxers or brawlers. Yes! Yes! Yes!

I'm kidding of course... This is absolutely wrong (both for GURPS and in reality)... Boxers and brawlers can be as dangerous as karatekas, as it is explained by all true karate masters, including mine.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:05 PM   #28
aesir23
 
aesir23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vermont
Default Re: Basic Set Unarmed Combat boxing questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
There is a karate technique, named "morote tsuki" which allows to strike with two hands exactly at the same time. It is quite easy to do after a parry, and hard to defend against... It can be used in a modern Call of Cthulhu adventure. But I never see any boxer use it. It is very specific to some karate and kungfu schools and, of course, it was not known by westerners during the roaring twenties (except people with an asiatic origin, of course). But, since you are playing in a modern campaign, no problem for your player characters...
In Hsing-I (and previously in Wing Chun) I've learned many techniques that equate to a punch and a kick simultaneously, I believe this is more common than two punches or two kicks.

I'd like to point out for the OP, since no one else has made it explicit, that improving the Dual Weapon Attack technique is generally considered cinematic by RAW (although attempting it at default is realistic), as is Flurry of Blows.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:41 PM   #29
vitruvian
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Basic Set Unarmed Combat boxing questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
I'd like to point out for the OP, since no one else has made it explicit, that improving the Dual Weapon Attack technique is generally considered cinematic by RAW (although attempting it at default is realistic), as is Flurry of Blows.
True enough, but then you can always just increase your base skill by 4 and improve your DWA default and your Rapid Strike and your Deceptive Attack and, well, everything else. It may cost you 16 CP instead of 5, but it'll be far more generally useful.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:50 PM   #30
Ulzgoroth
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Default Re: Basic Set Unarmed Combat boxing questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
True enough, but then you can always just increase your base skill by 4 and improve your DWA default and your Rapid Strike and your Deceptive Attack and, well, everything else. It may cost you 16 CP instead of 5, but it'll be far more generally useful.
That's comparing apples and orchards. You could buy off the DWA default, buy two more levels of base skill, and still have only spent 13 points.
__________________
I don't know any 3e, so there is no chance that I am talking about 3e rules by accident.
Ulzgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
basic set, boxing, rules question, two-handed combinations, unarmed combat

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.