Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 05-24-2011, 08:21 AM   #341
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Member House Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindflare77 View Post
Ah. Well in that case, my apologies. It was originally explained to me incorrectly, then.
To be fair, this is a change made in any printing after May, 2010.

Quote:
Also, slightly off-topic, but I want to pick up another core set when I get my next paycheck, and am between Good/Bad/Munchkin and Star Munchkin. Thoughts/opinions? (Unless you'd prefer I make a separate thread?)
This is definitely one thread where I'm going to insist you not derail things by adding a "what should I buy next?" tangent. I'm going to see if I can spin part of your message into a new one now.

EDIT: I was able to spin out the question on a next purchase into its own thread, so no worries.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 05-24-2011 at 08:25 AM.
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:06 PM   #342
StormyWaters

My friend, who uses his own house rules constantly, uses Cheat! way differently, despite my insistence on the new rules. His Cheat rules:

Play it on a one-shot item and use it once each combat
Play it on another player's item, stealing it from them

Since the old Cheat! said "have and use one item that's otherwise against the rules", he justified both of these.

Cthulhu: 1, 2, 3.

Munchkin Homebrew!

Illuminati: Deluxe, BFD, Y2K, MAD, Brainwash
StormyWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:22 PM   #343
Eben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
How do you define this? Just that they can't be a helper in a combat when the game is at stake? Or do you restrict them from doing ANYTHING that could be construed as helpful when the SO in question is level 9?
My aggravation is more with the person who decides to quit and instead of just walking away, decides to actively do anything and everything to make certain that their SO wins the game.

Being a helper is within the rules and not a problem.

All of the sudden the game goes from an amusing close competition to a person winning because their SO threw all their bonus stuff on his/her side and not as a "help them win cause he or she would be delighted to win." One is kind of unsportsmen like and the second is helping to "hook" a new player.
Eben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:25 PM   #344
Eben

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormyWaters View Post
My friend, who uses his own house rules constantly, uses Cheat! way differently, despite my insistence on the new rules. His Cheat rules:

Play it on a one-shot item and use it once each combat
Play it on another player's item, stealing it from them

Since the old Cheat! said "have and use one item that's otherwise against the rules", he justified both of these.

That seems like out and out cheating to me.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:26 PM   #345
StormyWaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben View Post
That seems like out and out cheating to me.
Well yeah, the card is called Cheat. ;)

Cthulhu: 1, 2, 3.

Munchkin Homebrew!

Illuminati: Deluxe, BFD, Y2K, MAD, Brainwash
StormyWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:37 PM   #346
Eben

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormyWaters View Post
Well yeah, the card is called Cheat. ;)
Oh, the wit. I laugh. ;)

The card itself is within the rules. The things your friend is doing are not.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:19 PM   #347
tsa7x13

Zombies (when blended): house rule that has no actual effect on gameplay- (as of now this is just an idea)

At the start of gameplay you choose if you're a zombie or not, You only become a zombie after certain things happen. ex. playing certain cards, using things that should only be allowed to be used by a zombie, after you die, running into certain monsters or types of monsters.. etc.

So you can start the game as a zombie human, or choose to start the game as a living human. You're character than can become a zombie (this would be un-reversible), and / or change race and powers and what not.

As of now this concept is strictly that, and is still without impact on the game, but i think could be used to alter the official rules and change the game a bit.. just looking for feedback or comments.
tsa7x13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:18 AM   #348
thedag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben View Post
Boyfriend, girlfriend or husband and wife can not help their SO win the game.
Wow my wife is the one who is normally working the hardest to stop me from winning. We just wouldn't need this rule in our group!
thedag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:47 PM   #349
Dreamer

We tend to play the game by the actual rules until we reach the epic part of the game (when we play by epic rules). When someone becomes epic we play it a little bit differently.

• GUAL cards now are cheat cards and you cannot use them to go up a level.
  • You cannot sell cards to go up a level.
  • Monsters are now twice the level that they say on the card and you get one less treasure for beating the monster (if the monster only gives you one you get no treasures)

These are just a few of the things we do.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:53 AM   #350
LxTrix

Someones rule of
"'''1. You can play a Super Munchkin card, or half breed card even if you don't have a class or race in play, we just don't see why it would matter either way, and if it is on the table it is easier to get rid of."'''

Isn''t the way to get rid of those cards is dropping the player to the point where they dont have two and then they are forced to give up super munchkin or half breed?

Never had the Theif problem as i know how to avoid it by holding onto better cards. When everyone is low level the theif has an advantage but when the Theif is behind it helps him and then when he is a higher level he is less likely to steal.

-----------------------------
Personal House Rules
Dropped a ton of the GUAL cards, except the creatrive ones, like draw your character, write his story, etc. I left the kill the nazis one though.

Considering a limit on the amount of carried items. When a player has a ton of items they dont seem to lose them easily. Everytime i play with 5 or 6 people, which is almost every time, one person or more gets a lucky hand with a ton of bonuses. So i''m going to use the blank cards to make cards that target the player with the highest bonus total, most items, most cards in hand, etc. Sometimes there is one player that just gets to far ahead and its even worse when they get the items that block curses, potions, and theify powers.

I playtested these; only being able to trade on your turn or who you are trading withs turn. This helps prevent distractions to whoevers turn it is. Another is only being able to sell for up to one level per turn. Not sure i like that one, but i do enjoy people fighting for their levels instead of buying them.

I don''t go by updated individual card rules and not sure if i want to get the Go Up A Level set as i just finished buying the 7 main sets. It was already painful enough to find out they are being printed in color. I do have one random color set.

Considering something for players who just want someone to win and start joining combat for free. Thats rather annoying.

Personal Setup
Munchin 1-7 (More Good Cards), Fairyduster mixed in with treasures,

Counters used for bonuses on top of cards, bigger counters for levels (Though i want to find something else for levels, no dice as they may roll and get confusing. Im thinking the less table room it takes up the better.) Id like to rig something with four digits like a flip calander to be used for combat total vs monster total for smoother, faster battles.

PS - This topic was fun to read but went off topic a lot, i think it would benefical to restart it. Clarify this isnt the place to compalin about balance. Maybe even have a seperate topic for epic munchkin and 2 player, as those were popular topics.
LxTrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combining different, doors, dummy hand, epic, extras, funny, gambling, gameplay, house rules, multi-deck, munchkin, munchkin zombies, new way to play, rules, rules variant, team, teams, two player, zombie dice