Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-15-2014, 11:58 AM   #11
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Resistant: gain a resistance rolls where none apply normally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I don't believe any such things exist.
Lots.
  • The task roll penalty from Visualisation with Cursing.
  • Death Vision.
  • Deathtouch.
  • Curare's damage (not paralysis).
  • Ricin's damage, Nausea and Vomiting (but not Coughing).
  • Strychnine's Seizures (but not choking).
  • Botulin's damage, Nausea and Retching (but not Paralysis).
The list goes on.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:38 PM   #12
kirbwarrior

Here's the weird issue; can you be immune to things that never allow a resistance roll? I've never read where Immunity beats unmodified Toxic Attacks, and any poison that doesn't allow a resist roll should be more accurately 'acid' or some such. Of course, these may just be bugs and I'm looking to closely at things.

EDIT: Rereading Resistant, you can be immune to Blood Agents that don't allow a resistance roll. Which sounds like an implied fact of Blood Agent, not that Resistant allows immunity versus something without rolls. If you can be immune to something but instead took (say +3), then I'd have you roll HT+Resist# whenever it would happen to you. Thus, +8 versus all poisons would let you roll HT+8 to resist ones where there is no roll (which does feel weird because then it is harder to poison you with a poison that requires no roll versus a poison of -8).

Last edited by kirbwarrior; 08-15-2014 at 05:41 PM.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:04 AM   #13
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
EDIT: Rereading Resistant, you can be immune to Blood Agents that don't allow a resistance roll. Which sounds like an implied fact of Blood Agent, not that Resistant allows immunity versus something without rolls. If you can be immune to something but instead took (say +3), then I'd have you roll HT+Resist# whenever it would happen to you. Thus, +8 versus all poisons would let you roll HT+8 to resist ones where there is no roll (which does feel weird because then it is harder to poison you with a poison that requires no roll versus a poison of -8).
I'd say poisons that normally give no resistance roll at all should have -10 vs somebody with Resistant. That's enough to say that even people with 12 HT are rolling vs a 2.

And defeating Toxic Attacks is generally covered by Immunity to Metabolic Hazards, as all Toxic Attacks are either poisons or diseases, aka, metabolic hazards.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:55 AM   #14
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Resistant allows immunity versus something without rolls.
I already brought up many examples of things that work without a roll, but against which Resistant (Immunity) protects fully.
Quote:
If you can be immune to something but instead took (say +3), then I'd have you roll HT+Resist# whenever it would happen to you. Thus, +8 versus all poisons would let you roll HT+8 to resist ones where there is no roll (which does feel weird because then it is harder to poison you with a poison that requires no roll versus a poison of -8).
That is indeed an interesting consideration. I guess for purposes of gaining a roll, 'no roll' should indeed be seen as comparable to -8 when converted to a roll (because 10-8=2, and 2 is the level at which other rolls tend to become impossible; also, I don't think I saw any hazards that give a worse than -8 resistance roll, though I could be wrong).
Old 08-16-2014, 01:52 PM   #15
Not another shrubbery

I don't like paradoxical rules, so I won't allow Immunity (as the superlative form) to be bought for something that doesn't allow for resistance.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:53 PM   #16
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
I don't like paradoxical rules, so I won't allow Immunity (as the superlative form) to be bought for something that doesn't allow for resistance.
So you prohibit characters/templates with immunities to Poison, Disease, Nano, and/or Metabolic Hazards?
Old 08-16-2014, 04:57 PM   #17
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
So you can kill furniture with Cyanide in your game?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:34 PM   #18
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
So you can kill furniture with Cyanide in your game?
"Killing Furniture With Cyanide" is the name of my Cure cover band. :-3

That said, this seems like a clear cut case of Cosmic. Using the guidelines from GURPS Power-Ups 4: Enhancements I'd say this worth +50%...but you'd need to add this to both your HT (or Will if the resist threat is primarily Will-based) and to your Resistant advantage. For example, if you have Resistant to Death Vision (+8) [3] you'd add Cosmic, Defensive, Gets a Resistant Roll increase the cost to [5] and you'd need to add it HT score (5 points per level of HT above 9, so HT 12 would cost you 15 points extra). It might not be worth it for specialized stuff, but it's the only way I could see this being fairly applied.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:38 PM   #19
The Benj

It seems more like a good reason why cyanide should have a Resistance roll, to me.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:21 AM   #20
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
"Killing Furniture With Cyanide" is the name of my Cure cover band. :-3

That said, this seems like a clear cut case of Cosmic. Using the guidelines from GURPS Power-Ups 4: Enhancements I'd say this worth +50%...but you'd need to add this to both your HT (or Will if the resist threat is primarily Will-based) and to your Resistant advantage. For example, if you have Resistant to Death Vision (+8) [3] you'd add Cosmic, Defensive, Gets a Resistant Roll increase the cost to [5] and you'd need to add it HT score (5 points per level of HT above 9, so HT 12 would cost you 15 points extra). It might not be worth it for specialized stuff, but it's the only way I could see this being fairly applied.
Seems very odd when Immunity to Magic is [30], and Immunity to Death Vision will be [5].

Tags
immunity, poison, resistance, resistance roll