Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 02-16-2008, 02:23 AM   #51
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask
Why would this be?
Because PDFs move a lot faster through our system than hardcovers do. Shorter, more focused, and we get to remove the printing delay.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:48 AM   #52
t@nya

I've been looking through the e23 wish list, and noticed the list of Bestiary titles you're looking for. What if someone wanted to create, for example, a new version of GURPS Dinosaurs or another Bestiary that isn't on the list? Would such a proposal be looked at?
t@nya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 06:49 AM   #53
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t@nya
I've been looking through the e23 wish list, and noticed the list of Bestiary titles you're looking for. What if someone wanted to create, for example, a new version of GURPS Dinosaurs or another Bestiary that isn't on the list? Would such a proposal be looked at?
It's best to always send a query letter through the proper channels.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 06:59 AM   #54
t@nya

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed
It's best to always send a query letter through the proper channels.
All right, thanks.
t@nya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:20 AM   #55
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

You know, given GURPS Dungeon Fantasy goal is to present full GURPS in a man that is easy to play, to couter act the information overload effect GURPS has.

combing it with the line that Munchkin Quest is only to be the first in the category of complete playable games packed in away to draw in non transitional gamer crowed.

Could we not be seeing the possibly to finally bee seed GURPS Genre for starters in a box?
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:23 AM   #56
Anders

Quote:
Because PDFs move a lot faster through our system than hardcovers do. Shorter, more focused, and we get to remove the printing delay.
So it's kind of a game supplement laxative?
Old 02-16-2008, 10:51 AM   #57
GoodGame

Location: Video games destroyed my life. Good that I have 2 extra lives!

That's incorrect. Many .pdf boardgames are available on the internet, either commercially or as freeware.

Has SJG's consider POD boardgames as well? That would probably eliminate Fantasy Flight Games / Eagle Games style of board games (tons of plastic pieces) as economically feasible, but might still result in high quality card components, no?

EDIT: Also has SJG's considered consulting as a unit for some electronic based games? (i.e. SJG as the outsource that other companies go to for creative talent ).

And may I suggest a fresh direction for Munchkin...how about Munchkin Stock Market / Auction House trader? An opportunity to parody MMORPG through their trading game and have an interesting stock market game in the tradition of older Avalon Hill / 3M financial games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almafeta
Board games are in the works? Interesting... and the news that they are 'bigger' games is very good. And board games are something that you can't really offer in PDF format, so 'dead tree' stores should have less to worry about.

Last edited by GoodGame; 02-16-2008 at 11:04 AM.
GoodGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:19 PM   #58
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodGame
And may I suggest a fresh direction for Munchkin...how about Munchkin Stock Market / Auction House trader? An opportunity to parody MMORPG through their trading game and have an interesting stock market game in the tradition of older Avalon Hill / 3M financial games.
I was thinking more along the lines of Munchkin Flame Warriors. Deliver as many solid insults as possible before the mods close down the thread.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:33 PM   #59
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
And PDF actually means I get to write sometimes[...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask
Why would this be?
Quote:
Phil hit the biggest reason. There's also the fact that I'm not Mr. Creative Writing but Mr. Rules Dweeb, as we all know. Anything I write will have minimum background, color, and fluff, and maximum crunch -- notably new abilities and structures and modifiers for existing abilities (as in Powers), but also combat options and item stats (as in Martial Arts), and of course templates and quick-and-dirty rules reductions (as in Dungeon Fantasy). Such writing demands so much cross-referencing and so much consistency checking that the time it takes is proportional to length^P, where 1.5 < P < 2. SJ Games knows, and I know, that a 240-page rulebook will take me a lot longer than 7.5 times as long as a 32-page one to write, check, and test . . . at least 20 times as long. Since I write on the clock, the economic advantages of having me write 20 PDFs are clear when contrasted with a 240-page tome.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:00 AM   #60
DocRailgun

And it probably will, as Munchkin does better and better. I hope they realize, however... that without all the non-GURPS products, there might not be a SJG right now.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as I remember, it wasn't that long ago that the company seemed in dire straits. Muchkin to the rescue!
Quote:
Originally Posted by t@nya
There's a bit of negativity there, with people predicting that the percentage of GURPS sales will continue to drop and then GURPS will be extinct, or that it'll only be available as a lot of PDF (no hardcovers at all).
DocRailgun is offline   Reply With Quote