Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-24-2020, 03:11 PM   #1
Boge

Default Good background music for Gurps? (varying genres)

My group alternates through genres and I'm the one that manages the music. I have each genre separated with different categories based on what's happening at the time, sad music, combat, tense moments, dungeons, victories, normal day, magical moments, etc.

I have fantasy music down pretty well. I've gotten a bunch of the Marvel movies for some modern-day and Supers Gurps. It's a little too epic for a typical day though.

I could use more modest modern day type of music though, for just an every day type of moment. I have some Forest Gump, Rudy, October Sky. I'm looking for more more more.

What soundtracks or musical numbers do you find work well for the different genres of Gurps?
Boge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 05:11 PM   #2
aesir23

Default Re: Good background music for Gurps? (varying genres)

My go to for Fantasy is, of course, the excellent Conan the Barbarian score by Basil Polidorous.

For SF, I really like both the Blade Runner and Gattaca scores, but they have very different moods, and Blade Runner tends to fit adventure gaming better.

Horror is obviously a fun one with a lot of options depending on flavor--ranging from John Carpenter's original Halloween score to Danse Macabre by Camil Saint-Saens. If it's a modern game, I might put together a playlist of Goth Rock and Death Rock from the 70s, 80s, and 90s and play them softly enough that the lyrics aren't distracting. Switchblade Symphony's album Bread and Jam for Francis is a common rotation, as well as better known bands like Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, and Fields of the Nephilim.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:34 PM   #3
khorboth

I get all of mine from incompetech. It's also a great source for names and graph paper.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:41 PM   #4
AlexanderHowl

I generally use gothic metal for my games (heavy metal for more action packed adventures). Specifically, Number of the Beast by Iron Maiden is a favorite during boss battles.

Last edited by AlexanderHowl; 02-25-2020 at 05:04 AM.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:50 PM   #5
Anaraxes

There's an entire genre known as "dark country" that might have been custom-written for Weird West games a la Deadlands.

A related and perhaps overlapping genre, "Southern Gothic", which is perhaps a little broader, less country-and-western and more folk / rock / gospel-influenced. (The music from True Detective would be one example.) These tunes might work in any number of relatively modern games, though again with a dark tone -- so horror, conspiracies, or some urban fantasy.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:34 AM   #6
Canology

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I generally use gothic metal for my games (heavy metal for more action packed adventures). Specifically, Number of the Beast by Judas Priest is a favorite during boss battles.
Isn't that Iron Maiden?

I have used a lot of the ambient/instrumental black metal pieces, like Tomhet by Burzum which I looped and used to great effect in a tracking down a manitou scene.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:22 AM   #7
copeab

I don't use background music, though if I did I could probably find something from Two Steps From Hell for most campaigns.

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:37 AM   #8
Boomerang

My favourite mood music for gaming is Metallica’s instrumental Call of Ktulu, inspired by Lovecraft’s Call of Cthulhu short story. Best played at low volume on loop for sci fi games.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:12 AM   #9
Anders

When I do, I use soundtracks. For Gothic horror you can't beat the OSTs to Hellraiser and Hellbound.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:20 AM   #10
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorboth View Post
I get all of mine from incompetech. It's also a great source for names and graph paper.
I use this, too, along with filmmusic.io. I’m always surprised at the high production values of most of this free material.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote