Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 04-22-2021, 01:58 PM   #161
Hide

Default Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I'd like to get a better feel for how mass earthworks are going to play out first. Once that is all resolved, sure.
Alright, so the foxhole plan is set. Let's say the foxhole will have the space to hold the 4 of us.

And all that's left is making the blockade.
Old 04-22-2021, 02:35 PM   #162
Hide

Just to make sure we are on the same page here is a symbolic (not accurate) picture of the foxhole plan.
Old 04-22-2021, 03:17 PM   #163
Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicious Violence View Post
I would like to roll Survival (15) to help in the construction of the dirt wall that will keep us safe from attacks, according to the diagram, I think it would span from the front of cave #2.
I.E. the foxhole!
Old 04-22-2021, 06:30 PM   #164
ajardoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
I suggest you dig, using your spell with high SL, and then let Bain make the finishing touches; he can work a foxhole/trench using his soldier (SL 12+1) skill, with extra effort.

It is worth noting that Vicious (the Digger) can also dig with his nice Survival Skill, and could aid Bain with the foxhole process.
Rolled a 9. You can dig the trenches well enough. You do not need Vic's help.

Quote:
did we just get one of the few random stone caves? I'd prefer to work on an earthen one first.

I suspect a hole is not quite the defensive structure we want. Unfortunately, Telrith does not have architecture.. yet, so the defensive structures may be a little flakey for now. His default is 8, which isn't bad... but isn't great either.

Telrith will make a small fortification by digging out a trench and piling the dirt facing the entrance of the cave. He'll make the trench three feet deep, and three feet wide, so each yard will take a casting of shape earth. He'll make this fortification six yards long. He won't try to get the wall particularly close to the trench: if foes want to stand on a six inch gap and get bad footing that's fine with him. That's six shape earth rolls, and a minute should be more than enough time to complete this task. If I roll a failure (16 or higher) reroll until I succeed.

Can Telrith take extra time to get a bonus to his default of architechure-8?
The cave here is a stone one, yes. The cave where the stream is coming from is an earthen one, as is one where footprints are leading to.

Gathering mud...

You can take extra time on an Architecture roll...if you don't mind risking a random encounter.

Rolling Shape Earth six times...
12, 9, 13, 8, 11, 15.

Also! Invoking your Klutz Disadvantage! Rolling your DX 11 to avoid a blunder...
9! You do not mess up building the trench and gathering the mud.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:18 PM   #165
Hide

Nice! All that's left is wait for the smoke do its job. And then we can start the RAID (AKA dungeon crawl).

Bain is taking cover and is also camouflaged.

Waiting... for the smoke to invade the caves and clear the path.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:38 AM   #166
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Ok, so now we are ready to build the furnace contraption thing.

Telrith will try to build a furnace to draw in oxygen at the bottom and feed smoke out the top and into the cave. He's going to plug the passage with a layer of dirt 3 feet thick. I don't know how wide the passage is, roll enough shape earth to fill it for me please (at 15).

The furnace is going to be built as a pipe around 2 feet in diameter on the inside at the bottom. It will be built right next to the plug. Some vegetation will be placed in it to add strength. It will slope thinner as it goes up, until at about 4.5 feet up it passes through a hole in the plug, probably around 4 inches around. A hole at the bottom of the furnace will let us shove in fuel and draw in air. Telrith can probably do this with two castings of shape earth (at 15).

Telrith will be very careful with constructing this, taking 16 times longer, for a +4 to his default architecture skill, raising it to 12.

Telrith will urge the rest of his team to gather a big pile of firewood, so they can feed the furnace all night.

He'll also ask if we have a nice long spear. It may come in handy. If not, could someone find a nice long stick and sharpen it.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:09 AM   #167
Hide

Sounds great Erick!

BTW, Vicious has a reach 2 sword. So you may like to craft 2 (one for you and another for Gathika).
Old 04-23-2021, 09:16 AM   #168
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Sounds great Erick!

BTW, Vicious has a reach 2 sword. So you may like to craft 2 (one for you and another for Gathika).

It needs to fit through the smoke hole with 12 inches of thrust left.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 11:24 AM   #169
Hide

Bain is doing watch, Observation (SL 12).

Gathika could cast watchdog as well. It will be useful to detect enemies if they arrive while you work and also while we fill the cave with smoke.

Vicious has previously found the materials for the fire, Bain helped him to gather it. So that is covered.

Do you want the spear for defense or as a tool to move the embers? If it is for defense, then we need at least 2. And your elementals could be on the other side to hold back the threats. Vicious could make the "spears" (long wooden stakes) using his survival skill.

How much time are you investing in doing the furnace?

And what about blocking the flow of water?
Old 04-23-2021, 12:53 PM   #170
ajardoor

Quote:
I don't know how wide the passage is, roll enough shape earth to fill it for me please (at 15).

The furnace is going to be built as a pipe around 2 feet in diameter on the inside at the bottom. It will be built right next to the plug. Some vegetation will be placed in it to add strength. It will slope thinner as it goes up, until at about 4.5 feet up it passes through a hole in the plug, probably around 4 inches around. A hole at the bottom of the furnace will let us shove in fuel and draw in air. Telrith can probably do this with two castings of shape earth (at 15).

Telrith will be very careful with constructing this, taking 16 times longer, for a +4 to his default architecture skill, raising it to 12.
IIRC, Shape Earth costs 2 per cubic feet moved. The passageway into the cave is 10 feet wide by 10 feet high.
Rolled 16 for Shape Earth. Failure, mark off 1 FP. Try again?

Two more castings of Shape Earth? Coming right up...
Rolled 9 and 14. Mark off the FP costs.

Rolling Architecture skill...10. That task takes at least 16 minutes, I think.

Bain, you notice nothing out of the ordinary while your comrades work.

Tags
dfrpg, dungeon fantasy, fantasy, magic, martial arts