Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 10-30-2017, 03:03 PM   #1
TechOgre
MIB

Default GCA and Dungeon Fantasy RPG

When can we expect the new data files to cover the new Dungeon Fantasy RPG?
Old 11-03-2017, 11:29 AM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: CGA and Dungeon Fantasy RPG

I'm pretty sure that there will be some, but I have no idea when that might happen. (I just got my books a couple weeks ago, and haven't had time to do anything other than quickly skim over them. I don't know about Eric, either.)

I'm not sure how much may have to change from the existing Basic Set and Dungeon Fantasy files to cobble something into a DFRPG worldbook file.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:09 PM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

At the risk of sounding like a complainer, and I am aware I don't have any of the facts, but I don't understand why you and/or Eric didn't get the pdfs in advance. Shouldn't this have been a priority for the new release? I think it maybe looks bad when the unofficial program had DFRPG support before the box reached stores, but GCA doesn't.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 12:34 PM   #4
Armin
GCA Prime

I understand.

I can't really comment on SJGames, their thinking or procedures.

All data files are basically written by volunteers. This time around, it seems one particular volunteer was willing to sit down and write pretty much all of the info for GCS, but nobody has done that yet for GCA.

I can't control that. And when such things rest on volunteers, I'm afraid that's what'll happen at times.

Armin

P.S. I bought the books (but don't have the PDFs), and hope to run a DFRPG game at some point. But, I also just moved house, and 90% of what I own is still in boxes. Because my new place is rather smaller than my old one, even unpacking is rather difficult, so it'll take a long time. Plus, I still have to do the day job. Even though I would be willing to sit down and do data files, I simply don't have the time to even read the books right now.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:44 PM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
All data files are basically written by volunteers. This time around, it seems one particular volunteer was willing to sit down and write pretty much all of the info for GCS, but nobody has done that yet for GCA.
There seems to be two different types of of volunteers, though, since some stuff ends up in the data updates and some others are just on the repository. It isn't very transparent to me what the difference is, or how you volunteer to do the files that go in the data update as opposed to just posting stuff on the repository.

Also given that this is a new game, and they are trying to aim it for players new to GURPS, maybe this should have been a project that you got comps in advance for and even got paid, but I can understand how that may not have happened. Perhaps in the future Kickstarters of Powered by GURPS games could include the GCA files as at least a stretch goal?

Last edited by sir_pudding; 11-04-2017 at 12:48 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:50 PM   #6
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
There seems to be two different types of of volunteers, though, since some stuff ends up in the data updates and some others are just on the repository. It isn't very transparent to me what the difference is, or how you volunteer to do the files that go in the data update as opposed to just posting stuff on the repository.
In general, any file which is reasonably complete and for an official book can be included in a data update. The files have to filter through me, which means that I have to have the time to go over the files to try to ensure quality. The best way for a volunteer author to make sure that the files for an official book make it into the official data update is to communicate and work with me as they work on the files.

Files in the repository, OTOH, can be uploaded by anyone and are not checked except by the original author and anybody who uses them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Also given that this is a new game, and they are trying to aim it for players new to GURPS, maybe this should have been a project that you got comps in advance for and even got paid, but I can understand how that may not have happened. Perhaps in the future Kickstarters of Powered by GURPS games could include the GCA files as at least a stretch goal?
I would describe myself as a "well paid volunteer." Generally, I get comps of all of the books as they are released in PDF, but that's all that SJGames gives me for working on GCA. This allows me to work on the data files as well as work with other volunteers, since I can't really help the volunteers or ensure quality of the data files if I don't have the book at all. But if you were to add up all the hours I've put in on GCA against the price of those PDFs I'm still volunteering my time for far less than minimum wage.

This is why I couldn't be overly helpful with the Discworld RPG data files when Phil Masters was working on it, because the PDF release was delayed and I simply didn't have the book. This is also why I haven't really been able to work on the DFRPG, because the retail version of the PDFs haven't been released on e23 and I didn't buy them as part of the Kickstarter, so I don't have the PDFs yet (and I don't like working directly from printed books). I have no knowledge of why and no comment as to why SJGames hasn't prioritized getting the data files taken care of.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 11-04-2017 at 10:08 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote