Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-21-2011, 09:30 PM   #21
vierasmarius

Default Re: Doing Damage that heals at different rate than normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
Thanks all, this really helps! So it seems GURPS can do this then.

Now, on a related note, how'd you build a character with a power that costs FP (or HP) and have the FP or HP spent on it come back at a faster or slower rate? I assume some kind of limited level of Regen for faster and limited Slow Healing for slower, and limited Partial Unhealing for where it doesn't heal without special circumstances.

But what should that limitation be worth, "Only for HP or FP spent on power X"?
The tricky thing here is that you can easily get a set of powers that's less useful, but more expensive. For example, if you have Power X with Costs FP, and Fast Regen (FP Only, Power X Only) it will likely be more costly than Power X without Costs FP. I think a more fair way to handle this would be to give the trait Limited Uses, possibly with Slow or Fast Reload. So if you have a spell which uses up 1 "mana" per casting, and you have a pool of 10 mana that can be recovered all at once with 5 seconds of concentration, that's -5% (Limited Use 10, Fast Reload.

This of course doesn't work quite as well if you have multiple spells that share one mana pool. I'd probably make it at most a Nuisance Effect (-5%) on top of the cost of Limited Use.

EDIT: For a power that costs HP for a short duration, perhaps you could use Temporary Disadvantage or Backlash (reduced HP). Not sure on the economics of that... need to look into it more.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:20 AM   #22
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
The tricky thing here is that you can easily get a set of powers that's less useful, but more expensive. For example, if you have Power X with Costs FP, and Fast Regen (FP Only, Power X Only) it will likely be more costly than Power X without Costs FP. I think a more fair way to handle this would be to give the trait Limited Uses, possibly with Slow or Fast Reload. So if you have a spell which uses up 1 "mana" per casting, and you have a pool of 10 mana that can be recovered all at once with 5 seconds of concentration, that's -5% (Limited Use 10, Fast Reload.

This of course doesn't work quite as well if you have multiple spells that share one mana pool. I'd probably make it at most a Nuisance Effect (-5%) on top of the cost of Limited Use.

EDIT: For a power that costs HP for a short duration, perhaps you could use Temporary Disadvantage or Backlash (reduced HP). Not sure on the economics of that... need to look into it more.
It might be simpler to just modify the Costs HP and Costs FP limitations themselves - this is going into wild-GM-interpretation territory, but Reduced Duration (From Psionic Powers and the GURPS FAQ) and Extended Duration, applied to the Costs HP/FP limitation itself might be a way to go, and it prevents the "your trait that sucks more also costs more points" and it plays more-nicely with other HP/FP reducing effects and powers.

But I have to say, tracking different HP and FP "injuries" that recover at different rates other than "not at all" or "the usual" seems like a pain in the haunches.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:04 AM   #23
Pomphis

How about the other way around ? Buy twice the desired damage, and then limit with a modified No Wounding. No Wounding is -50%, so Only 1/2 Counts for Wounding might be -25%.
Pomphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:38 PM   #24
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
It might be simpler to just modify the Costs HP and Costs FP limitations themselves - this is going into wild-GM-interpretation territory, but Reduced Duration (From Psionic Powers and the GURPS FAQ) and Extended Duration, applied to the Costs HP/FP limitation itself might be a way to go, and it prevents the "your trait that sucks more also costs more points" and it plays more-nicely with other HP/FP reducing effects and powers.

But I have to say, tracking different HP and FP "injuries" that recover at different rates other than "not at all" or "the usual" seems like a pain in the haunches.
This one might be the way I'd do it. I'd encourage a player to do it this way, unless they had many abilities that had the same alteration to the rate of recovery of FP and / or HP, in which case if it'd be more cost effective I'd suggest limited Regen or Slow Healing (or Partial Unhealing, as needed). Maybe at that point if they had that many abilities like that I'd call it an Accessibility of maybe only -10% on either the Regen or the Slow or Partial Un healing. I think that sounds fair, right?

Tags
attacks, damage, healing, regeneration