Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-28-2011, 04:17 PM   #31
PseudoFenton

Default Re: Healing without Cumulative Penalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
I'd even allow Cosmic, No die roll required, +100% to completely remove the chance of failure and have the combo of that Cosmic, NDRR plus Cosmic, No cumulative penalty, +50% mean unlimited uses per person with no penalties or chances of failure. With one level of Reduced Fatigue Cost, they could then heal 2 HP per use (effectively, per second)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain View Post
Regen on others works... expensive though.
What is the comparative cost between these then? If regen on others had duration "as long as i touch target" or accessibility "must be touching target" or something to that effect that basically makes it only last for as long as you're touching them. It's effectively the same ability then.

If they come out as pretty much the same cost then it sets precedence that the use of Cosmic is correct, if it comes out as more expensive then it suggests that a +100% or even more should be used. Of cause it all depends on how you stat up the "only whilst touching" limitation of the regen affliction... I'm not sure what the most cost effective way of doing that would be right now (mostly coz I'm snoozy and too lazy to work it out right now).
Old 10-28-2011, 05:37 PM   #32
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoFenton View Post
What is the comparative cost between these then? If regen on others had duration "as long as i touch target" or accessibility "must be touching target" or something to that effect that basically makes it only last for as long as you're touching them. It's effectively the same ability then.
Because of how limitations work with afflictions, it's hard to get much cost reduction. On the other hand, 110 points will give instant regeneration for the length of a typical combat, which is significantly better than the effect you can get from the healing.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:45 AM   #33
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoFenton View Post

If they come out as pretty much the same cost then it sets precedence that the use of Cosmic is correct, if it comes out as more expensive then it suggests that a +100% or even more should be used. Of cause it all depends on how you stat up the "only whilst touching" limitation of the regen affliction... I'm not sure what the most cost effective way of doing that would be right now (mostly coz I'm snoozy and too lazy to work it out right now).
Affliction of Very Fast Regen vs Healing? In order to compare them, we need to compare them properly.

Let's do Healing first:
Healing (Affects Self, +50%; Cosmic, No cumulative penalty, +50%; Cosmic, No die roll required, +100%; Injuries Only, -20%; Reduced Fatigue Cost 1, +20%; Xenohealing, Anything Animate, +100%) [120]
A basic Affliction of Regen would affect anything animate, affect onself as well, wouldn't have any cumulative penalties, doesn't cure diseases (only Healing does that), and costs no fatigue. The above build lets you heal anything that has HP (including yourself) as long as you touch that thing, at the rate of 2 HP per second for no cost, plus you have the option to spend 1 FP for every additional 2 HP you want to heal so as to allow faster, lump sum healing in a pinch.

Let's do Affliction:
Affliction 1 (Contact Agent, -30%; Cosmic, No die roll required, +100%; Fixed Duration, +0%; Malediction 1, +100%; Very Fast Regeneration, +1000%) [127]
The above will let you give someone a regen of 1 HP per second for 3 minutes just by touching them (or it could be you) - and then you can let them go. There are no die rolls required - the Malediction makes this a quick contest and so the target can waive a resistance roll, and you don't need to roll for success because of the Cosmic, NDRR (and Fixed Duration eliminates any remaining purpose for any die roll).

For [7] more, you are getting a healing ability that doesn't require continuous physical contact (just a single tap) and lasts 3 minutes; on the other hand it heals you half as fast per second (1 HP vs 2 HP). You also don't get the option you get with Healing that you can spend FP to increase the rate of healing. So I guess you could argue they come in as close in relative value (and that's born out as [120] vs [127]).

It seems to me that the Affliction above is much more useful in combat than the Healing because you just touch them for a second vs needing to maintain physical contact. On top of that, you could considerably shave down the cost of that Affliction by using Reduced Duration, or applying a Terminal Condition (or an Accessibility on the Regen being Afflicted) so that it stops when the healer isn't touching you.

So it seems to me that if anything Healing with the above combo of Cosmic mods is overpriced, and at worst very nicely balanced. So I have no problem with +150% for no cumulative penalties and no die rolls for Healing. Again, in a campaign where I wanted healing to be hard and not free and easy, neither of the above builds would be allowed. But not every world is or should be played like that.

Tags
healing, no cumulative penalty, no repeat use penalty, penalty