Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-26-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
JCurwen3

Default Unhealing and Regeneration

Some questions, some of which may have been asked and answered before, but I couldn't easily find them:

- Let's say I want to get rid of that daily healing roll. Unhealing does that, but it's not compatible with Regeneration (with good reason - it would be a gross discount). Well, what is a reasonable valuation of just getting rid of that daily HT-roll HP healing, while allowing for Regeneration? I know there's Partial Unhealing, but that only works with Regeneration if its very restricted (e.g. only immersed in blood or fire or something), and would be unfair as a combo with unrestricted Regeneration (or, for that matter, a Regen based on a power source like Magic or Psi that is almost always on). I guess a similar question could be asked about downgrading the value of Slow Healing as well.

- For Unhealing and Slow Healing, what would be a fair price for Fatigue Only and Fatigue Recovery? Is it reasonable to just lift the modifier values from Regeneration (p. P70), at -0% and +100%, respectively?

- Let's say I want my Regeneration to require the same HT roll per regen interval as the daily HT healing roll. What's a good way to do this - Requires HT (healing) Roll on the Regeneration?
Old 10-26-2011, 10:56 AM   #2
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Unhealing and Regeneration

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
Some questions, some of which may have been asked and answered before, but I couldn't easily find them:

- Let's say I want to get rid of that daily healing roll. Unhealing does that, but it's not compatible with Regeneration (with good reason - it would be a gross discount). Well, what is a reasonable valuation of just getting rid of that daily HT-roll HP healing, while allowing for Regeneration? I know there's Partial Unhealing, but that only works with Regeneration if its very restricted (e.g. only immersed in blood or fire or something), and would be unfair as a combo with unrestricted Regeneration (or, for that matter, a Regen based on a power source like Magic or Psi that is almost always on). I guess a similar question could be asked about downgrading the value of Slow Healing as well.
Even slow regeneration makes the natural healing roll not very important. Any higher levels and I'd rate it entirely negligible unless the regeneration is likely to be unavailable.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #3
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Agreed. I'd say that "Doesn't heal naturally – just regenerates" is at most a quirk. Regeneration is so vastly better than natural healing that natural healing ceases to be relevant. That's most of the reason why you can't have Unhealing or similar traits alongside Regeneration.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Agreed. I'd say that "Doesn't heal naturally – just regenerates" is at most a quirk. Regeneration is so vastly better than natural healing that natural healing ceases to be relevant. That's most of the reason why you can't have Unhealing or similar traits alongside Regeneration.
How would you build someone who heals at regeneration speeds but as the OP says "only while immersed in blood"? Surely that isn't just a quirk?

Last edited by NineDaysDead; 10-26-2011 at 12:09 PM.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
How would you build someone who heals at regeneration speeds but as the OP says "only while immersed in blood"? Surely that isn't just a quirk?
Isn't that a good case for Partial Unhealing?
Old 10-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #6
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post

That's exactly the situation where you'd use Regeneration (Only when immersed in blood, -somelargenumber%) and Unhealing (Partial).
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:13 PM   #7
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Isn't that a good case for Partial Unhealing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regeneration; Basic Set page 80
You cannot have Regeneration if you have Slow Healing (p. 155) or Unhealing (p. 160).
This message is too short.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:16 PM   #8
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Thanks. I figured it'd probably make sense as a quirk, almost an insignificant feature except maybe at the Slow level.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #9
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

The OP already knew about the special case:
I know there's Partial Unhealing, but that only works with Regeneration if its very restricted (e.g. only immersed in blood or fire or something), and would be unfair as a combo with unrestricted Regeneration (or, for that matter, a Regen based on a power source like Magic or Psi that is almost always on).
That seemed to suggest that the question was about the general case. That said, the acknowledgment contained the answer when it comes to the special case, which is that Regeneration limited enough to work less readily than ordinary healing is absolutely compatible with Unhealing (Partial). That's why Unhealing (Partial) says this:
You can heal naturally if a rare condition is met (e.g., when you are immersed in blood or bathed in lava). You can also heal yourself by stealing HP from others using Vampiric Bite (p. 96), magic, or psionics.
Regeneration with an extreme Accessibility limitation is fine, and may well even be "magic or psionics." As always in GURPS, the special case overrides the blanket rule.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:56 PM   #10
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
- Let's say I want my Regeneration to require the same HT roll per regen interval as the daily HT healing roll. What's a good way to do this - Requires HT (healing) Roll on the Regeneration?
I think this one got missed in the answers.
You can take requires a skill/attribute roll on it. From Powers its -10% for HT
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
healing, regeneration, slow healing, unhealing