Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-01-2011, 08:29 AM   #11
vitruvian

Default Re: Healing the Inanimate, Machines, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
Some sage wisdom from Kromm on these issues:

And naloth, it appears you were right on the money in your broken=death equivalence!

So based on what Kromm said above, two modifiers for Healing (names are mine and I'm not married to them, if you have better suggestions, please share!):
Affects Inanimate: You can also heal inanimate objects. If an object has gone to or past -HP and then failed a HT roll, it's broken and it can't be healed. +100%.

Inanimate Only: You can only heal inanimate objects, as described for Affects Inanimate. You can't heal anything living or animate. -0%.
Just add Works on the Dead +50% as for the Unkillable/Regeneration Affliction version of Resurrection in Divine Favor, and I think you're done.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:40 AM   #12
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
Just add Works on the Dead +50% as for the Unkillable/Regeneration Affliction version of Resurrection in Divine Favor, and I think you're done.
Wouldn't it be more than that, if it also worked on the living?
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:49 AM   #13
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Wouldn't it be more than that, if it also worked on the living?
I guess like Kromm ruled with Healing on inanimate objects, we're dealing with two separate Healing instances then, so that would be another +100%.

Calculating them in these are some extra values to keep in mind:

Affects Inanimate: You can also heal inanimate objects. If an object has gone to or past -HP and then failed a HT roll, it's broken (the equivalent of dead for living beings) and it can't be healed. +100%.

Inanimate Only: You can only heal inanimate objects, as described for Affects Inanimate. You can't heal anything living or animate. -0%.

Cosmic, Works on the dead: Your ability works on the dead. This only gives you one try to heal the dead back to life with a single use of the ability, ever. +50% for the dead only, or +150% for the dead as well as injured living people.

Powering Up
Omni-Healing: Some healing powers can pretty much heal anything. Use Xenohealing: Anything Animate (+100%) and Affects Inanimate (+100%) to be able to heal any animate beings or inanimate objects. Abilities that can attempt to heal the dead (or repair the broken) back to life and function have Cosmic: Works on the dead (+150%). Healers that can heal themselves also take Affects Self (+50%). To heal Afflictions add Cure Affliction (+60%).
Universal Repair: Powers in this category can repair anything inanimate - with a touch of your hand you can fix most plumbing problems, mend tears and holes in clothing better than any sewing could, fix appliances and electronics, etc. The ability has Inanimate Only (-0%), and may have Cure Affliction (+60%) to neutralize Afflictions on objects. Abilities that get one attempt to repair the truly broken (as described for Affects Animate, above) in one shot have Cosmic: Works on the dead (+50%).

Alternatives
In some fiction, healing powers with the ability to repair the inanimate can do other miraculous things. For example, they might be able to "heal" a spilled or half-empty glass of water back to being full again. To achieve this, take a low level Create Liquid with appropriate modifiers as an Alternative Ability.
I think that pretty much sums up the Healing values with the addition of the assists from Kromm on the value of Healing the inanimate and the meaning of "broken", as well as the add-on Cosmic extension from Powers: Divine Favor.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:47 PM   #14
fictionfan

you might want to look at a thread I started called Fixing collateral damage?

Edit: or if you don't want to in the end it came up with
Affliction 1 (Accessibility: Useless Under Stress, -60%;
Malediction, +100%; +50%; Negate Unhealing (+300%; Secondary, *1/5), +60%; Regrowth (+400%; Secondary, *1/5), +80%; Regeneration (+1000%; Secondary, *1/5), +200%; Area Effect, +300%; Emanation, -20%; Selective Area, +20%) [78]

you don't need to keep the useless under stress or area effect.
fictionfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:26 PM   #15
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Incidentally, I think there is a way to have Healing work on the dead. Of course it's Cosmic, but it's not my invention. On Powers: Divine Favor, p. 16, Cosmic: Works on the dead (+50%) is used on Regeneration and Unkillable to build the Resurrection prayer. It notes: "This version of Cosmic means it only works on the dead – not injured living people – and gives one try, ever."
Note that that originally comes from Powers p151, the Rejuvenation build.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3
So based on what Kromm said above, two modifiers for Healing (names are mine and I'm not married to them, if you have better suggestions, please share!):
Affects Inanimate: You can also heal inanimate objects. If an object has gone to or past -HP and then failed a HT roll, it's broken and it can't be healed. +100%.

Just thinking about it, I'm inclined to say it's worth more to be able to heal/repair inanimate objects than the base Healing cost... it's just so darn useful.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:54 PM   #16
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Note that that originally comes from Powers p151, the Rejuvenation build.
Thanks for pointing that out! I always like to know the "first appearance of" for these things - actually keep a big Excel spreadsheet for any Traits and modifiers and such with sources and page references and values across all my supplements as a reference. Quite a bear to compile though.

Quote:
Just thinking about it, I'm inclined to say it's worth more to be able to heal/repair inanimate objects than the base Healing cost... it's just so darn useful.
See, I actually initially thought as you do. I'm not sure if I would have said worth more, but from the get go asking this question I was conscious how very useful it would be. It saves you time, money, and effort on repairs. Your weapons, armour, clothing, gadgets, and other gear will always be as brand new and functional as your last full healing of them. In terms of CP, you as the player won't feel much need to put points in any skills for which much of the utility involves repairs (although that's realistic - I don't see myself taking the time out to learn the skills to fix stuff if I can just magic any damage away). You could also earn quite an income with the ability (whether you kept it a secret or not). In addition, you could use it to gain "access" in many social situations - if you want secretly to keep tabs on people, what better way than to be that "highly skilled" handyman or electrician or plumber or carpenter they invite into their homes and offices for potentially hours on end? You're Mr. Fix-It as far as anyone knows, the ultimate repairman chameleon.

But someone pointed out that Wealth or a Patron could easily do those things too, for roughly the same or lesser cost as base Healing. In the end, IMO it's about as useful as regular Healing. And that says a lot, since Healing will eliminate the potential need for recovery times (which is down-time where you're either going to be off your "A game" or laying in a bed recuperating whilst the world passes you by), lost income, long term health effects, medical bills, effort, and may end up preventing death.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #17
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
But someone pointed out that Wealth or a Patron could easily do those things too, for roughly the same or lesser cost as base Healing. In the end, IMO it's about as useful as regular Healing. And that says a lot, since Healing will eliminate the potential need for recovery times (which is down-time where you're either going to be off your "A game" or laying in a bed recuperating whilst the world passes you by), lost income, long term health effects, medical bills, effort, and may end up preventing death.
Yeah, you can certainly get stuff replaced with Wealth or Patron. You're using up resources when you do so, which could have been used on something else, so there's that. Additionally, a similar argument might be made against ordinary Healing: Why heal friends or acquaintances when you can just get new ones with Allies? [Note: That's not meant to be taken too seriously] It just seems to me that Healing objects is a 'broader' ability than the standard version, and should have some premium attached to it for that reason. Just a thought, really... I'd have to try it out in play to get a feel for what it's really worth. That isn't an argument against using the +100%/+0% suggestion yourself.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #18
JCurwen3

Quote:
Yeah, you can certainly get stuff replaced with Wealth or Patron. You're using up resources when you do so, which could have been used on something else, so there's that. Additionally, a similar argument might be made against ordinary Healing: Why heal friends or acquaintances when you can just get new ones with Allies? [Note: That's not meant to be taken too seriously] It just seems to me that Healing objects is a 'broader' ability than the standard version, and should have some premium attached to it for that reason. Just a thought, really... I'd have to try it out in play to get a feel for what it's really worth. That isn't an argument against using the +100%/+0% suggestion yourself.
Well, one thing that does occur to me is TL and objects built by alien minds. Should you be able to "heal" technology ahead of your time, or built by different races? I might limit the Healing of Inanimate objects to only natural objects and objects (tools, gear, tech) built by your race (and TL or lower, and maybe your TL+1) or similar races (like elves and halflings to humans) as described for regular Healing. And then use the Xenohealing modifiers as a guide to extend the Inanimate Healing but for objects built both (1) by increasingly more alien minds and (2) by increased TL (both separate Xenohealing sets of levels). So under that pricing scheme, to truly have total Healing for all Inanimate objects, it would be:

Inanimate Only (-0%) +
Xenohealing, Built by Anything Animate (+100%) +
Xenohealing, Built at Any TL (+100%)

... for a total cost of +200% for absolutely anything Inanimate, or +300% if it heals the above and does what regular unmodified Healing does (you'd still need to take "Animate" Xenohealing levels to get the regular Healing to heal more than just your race and similar races).

How does that strike you? I'm kind of digging it, myself.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:14 PM   #19
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
How does that strike you? I'm kind of digging it, myself.
It looks worth trying out. I had the vague notion that the Inanimate analogue to Xenohealing would be stuff not made of ordinary matter, and that complexity would just be a general negative mod, but your idea looks like it might be more playable.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:08 AM   #20
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Thanks for pointing that out! I always like to know the "first appearance of" for these things - actually keep a big Excel spreadsheet for any Traits and modifiers and such with sources and page references and values across all my supplements as a reference. Quite a bear to compile though.
Could you put it in Google Docs? I think it would be a very useful resource to have, personally.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
animate, enhancement, healing, inanimate, machine metatrait, xenohealing