Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-28-2009, 05:30 AM   #1
Black Rose

Default Modular Abilities Questions

This is going to seem pretty basic to some, but I'm not sure of the answers, so I figured I'd ask. These questions are all regarding using a MA to produce skills, techniques, and languages, and possibly spells, too.

What is the benefit of multiple MA slots? Ex: I have a 2-pt slot and a 6-pt slot. I get that I can't combine them into an 8-pt slot, but can I add them to a skill I already have?

Can I use a 7-pt slot to buy a single 1-pt and three 2-pt skills? I assume so.

If I want to change the skills in a slot around -- drop French (Accented) [4] in favor of Sex Appeal (A) HT+1 [4] -- do I need to reacquire all the skills in the slot, or just the one I'm changing? I assume the whole slot needs to be redone, since I can't imagine why you'd bother with more than one otherwise.

Thank you everyone reading this, and a special thanks to those who help me figure this out.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:13 AM   #2
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Modular Abilities Questions

I feel it's okay to combine slots, because there are limited forms of MA that only allow improving traits you already have.

Splitting slots is a big no-no. The whole point of having multiple slots is to be able to get more than one skill/trait.

Rearranging is done on a per-slot basis, with all the consequences. But given the answer about splitting not being allowed, it is mostly irrelevant.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:44 AM   #3
Refplace

I support Molokh's view.
For many MA abilities I would allow combining the effects of multiple slots but I would almost never allow splitting of slots. If you want that buy multiple slots or Cosmic MA.
The one case I can think of where I would allow splitting is if the charecter had something like Chip slots and had to pay cash for them and the slot was designed as a set of related skills or abilities. The PC would not be able to change the slot design from what it was originally set up as.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:55 AM   #4
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I support Molokh's view.
For many MA abilities I would allow combining the effects of multiple slots but I would almost never allow splitting of slots. If you want that buy multiple slots or Cosmic MA.
The one case I can think of where I would allow splitting is if the charecter had something like Chip slots and had to pay cash for them and the slot was designed as a set of related skills or abilities. The PC would not be able to change the slot design from what it was originally set up as.
The whole point of CMA is to be able to split.

Skips can only be 'split' if they're bought as a number of slots equal to the number of points in them in the first place (which brings us back to CMA with limitations, or an 'unslotted' form of Skips, neither of which matches the normal Chip Slot trait.)
Old 12-28-2009, 08:21 AM   #5
munin

I'd allow someone to have multiple traits in a single slot if it was a multi-trait ability, like the Combat Sense ability from Psionic Powers (3-5 advantages, depending on how you look at it) which represents a single concept with multiple advantages. You can also package multiple traits up as a single Alternate Form, including "racial" skills (or a big slot might allocate a Cosmic Universal Improvised Forms Morph). In weird cases you might even allow a slotted MA to allocate a limited Cosmic Power MA, temporarily trading capacity for flexibility (e.g., you've swapped your pincher arm for a living metal attachment, or you've summoned a more powerful spirit who can grant you multiple smaller abilities, etc.). With the right conceptualization, a set of alternative attacks or alternative abilities might be considered a single ability (you swap out your pincher arm for a multi-tool arm). The line can get very fuzzy so GM discretion is required.

But no, generally you can't put multiple skills into a single slot.

Last edited by munin; 12-28-2009 at 10:35 AM.
munin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modular abilities, question, skills