Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-02-2021, 01:45 AM   #1
Greg 1

Default [DF] Do the PC races come from different parts of the world?

There's no right answer to this. I'm asking about the way you personally set up your fantasy worlds.

Do the PC races come from different parts of the world? Perhaps Elves come originally from the West, while Lizard Folk originate from down South.
Greg 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 02:05 AM   #2
coronatiger

Default Re: [DF] Do the PC races come from different parts of the world?

My world building project has four major (playable) races: Elves, dwarves, orcs and humans. Orcs live mainly in the north of the continent, elves in the west and dwarves in the center, but they aren't locked to those regions. For example, there are many elves and dwarves in the north. Humans live all over the place.

The elves and dwarves have nations that have lasted millennia, but people move as times and conditions change. The orcs don't have their own nations, and most human-run countries are no more than a couple hundred years old.

History before the founding of the elvish and dwarven nations is undefined, so it isn't possible to say where each race originated. Priests argue whether the civilized races were created by the Creator, or if the world was populated after the Seven Goddesses took over.

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:09 AM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

If I'm playing DF, I usually don't think about it...

But outside of DF, They usually have separate origins. I actually tend towards coming from different biomes rather than different continents. I'll often specify different nations as mono-species or as cosmopolitan or a specific mix of races.

having home continents and everyone remembering that tends to imply a recent "contact" event, and if I have one of those in my setting its likely to warp the entire setting around it, so I use it sparingly.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:17 AM   #4
SilvercatMoonpaw

I usually prefer to run super-cosmopolitan settings where only experts, if anyone, would know (or possibly even care) where a species/subspecies originated. Occasionally you might get a new contact -- as I also tend to run multi-world settings with plenty of room -- so everyone knows where the "newbie" came from.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:29 AM   #5
whswhs

Well, I run other sorts of fantasy than dungeon fantasy, but my current fantasy campaign has Bronze Age technology and seven humanoid races. Each race is native to a different terrain type (or set of terrain types) as defined for Survival skill in the Basic Set: dwarves to underground, elves to jungle and woodlands, ghouls to desert, men to plains, nixies to rivers and swamps, selkies to islands and beaches, and trolls to mountains and arctic regions. That gave me a basis for figuring out their likely behavior.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:50 AM   #6
Varyon

That depends on the origin of the PC races. In a very old setting of mine, humans were the original inhabitants, but after the god of the world was cast down by invading gods from another world, they scattered. Some evolved into the other races of the setting, largely due to overexposure to unbalanced elemental mana. In that, humans are largely spread out over the world, while the other races are based out of the areas where they evolved (but are also present elsewhere).

Meanwhile, in my Oubliette setting, humans changed - semi-randomly - into one of four races - Elf, Dwarf, Havlin (halfling), and Nornu (giant) - when the dungeons first started appearing. As a result, there's no real homeland for any of the races - although this event happened long enough ago (particularly considering the chaos that resulted from the dungeons appearing, and later lesser apocalypses that occurred for various reasons) that most consider it a myth, particularly as it fails to account for the other two races, the malofae (catfolk) and pixies. Those two originated from long-term mingling with monsters (although this fact is unknown, even in myth), and did have a point of origin, but that's been lost to time and the spread of the races. While those of the same race tend to band together, this is more often in the form of communities within a larger, more metropolitan area than things like an "Elven nation" or the like. Monsters originate from the dungeon, and are initially more-or-less artificial, as well as wholly subservient to and dependent upon their home dungeon. Later generations can survive the destruction of their dungeon and thus become independent and known as liminals, but as dungeon locations (and type) are largely random, any given liminal could easily come from just about anywhere. Liminals functionally represent more races (and are playable), but suffer from discrimination, largely living in isolated enclaves (although you'll typically have liminals from a given type of dungeon living together).
Old 08-02-2021, 10:41 AM   #7
Pomphis

Largely unknown, but the dwarves fled from something terrible about 12,000 years ago through the Longest Tunnel. The exit to the game world is beneath the oldest dwarven city and still very well guarded against the possibility that something may try to follow them. Nobody knows where the Longest Tunnel comes from.
Pomphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:38 AM   #8
naloth

In the majority of the games I've played in there is a dominant race for an area regardless of where they originally came from.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 01:52 AM   #9
RyanW

Chalk up another "not DF but..."

The "PC" races are humans (which have spread everywhere), lizardfolk from the southeast, catfolk from the rainforests running down the western coast of the southern continent, and half-fae from anywhere there are both mortals and portals to the Otherworld.
Old 08-03-2021, 01:58 AM   #10
Hide

Players have the chance to decide about their character’s race/origins in their backstory, then I integrate it into the world. If they don’t get into it, they are “designated” to a region of my choosing.

In my settings there are dominant races depending on the region and the time of history; certain races have their own kingdoms (e.g. elven kingdom), but there are mixed communities as well.