Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-01-2014, 09:37 AM   #1
tantric
Banned

Default RW style priestly rituals and GURPS effects

I'm looking for a source that describes real (not DF) style rituals for priests, such as baptism, marriage, house blessing, last rights, etc, and their GURPS effects. I suspect it's in Religion, but I can't find my copy. A general list of RW rituals would also be great.
tantric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:45 AM   #2
jason taylor

Default Re: RW style priestly rituals and GURPS effects

Why not the wikipedia?
Old 02-01-2014, 09:47 AM   #3
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Why not the wikipedia?
I don't think wikipedia has incorporated GURPS effects into all of their pages yet. But they should.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:55 AM   #4
Dwarf99

It also helps if you make your own gods to come up with origin stories. For example, the dwarven goddess of Drink and Hearth (Inebra, in my world, where the word inebriated comes from) was challenged by a human adventurer to a drinkinng contest for her hand in marriage (or for him to be transformed to a form befitting of her image). He lost, so she transformed him into a dwarf. He tried again and did better, but still lost. Impressed by his efforts, she married him anyway.

That's where my dwarves come from, why males make laws, but females are judges, why dwarf weddings break out the drink long before the reception, and so on.

But that's all fictional. Real world accounts don't have to be modern, Anthropological journals discuss the rituals and whatnot of dead cultures so they might be inspiring.
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:59 AM   #5
Dwarf99

As for GURPS effects, whatever the effect is can be expressed as a point value. Then you can buy Divine Favor levels and purchase the effects as Alternate Abilities (mostly affliction)

A wedding Vow is no more than 5 points (a Perk if you're in an 'open relationship')
Funeral Rites are probably an affliction of a Perk.

A house blessing I'm not sure about.

Being "not excommunicated" is assumed the default and isn't worth points. Hard to say what it's worth as an affliction.
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:05 AM   #6
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I don't think wikipedia has incorporated GURPS effects into all of their pages yet. But they should.
Most real world religious rituals are ceremonial rather then magical in intention. Their effect will primarily be social. A rite of passage will remove Social Stigma(minor) for instance.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:08 AM   #7
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf99 View Post

A wedding Vow is no more than 5 points (a Perk if you're in an 'open relationship')
Obviously depends on the society. In a Jane Austen setting(where they had different words for "open relationship") it can be the difference between social success and social failure.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:51 AM   #8
tantric
Banned

In this setting, many of these rituals will have real effects - bad things happen if you skip them. Living in an unblessed house leaves you open for possession, last rights prevents the dead from rising as an angry ghost, the raising the dead ritual, done a year after burial, turns the dead into an ancestor that can be contacted, getting married without a blessing makes you a taboo breaker, etc. Since 'priest' is a default character type, shouldn't there be a resource that deals with realistic priestly rituals rather than 'Sticks to Snakes'? I would expect Banestorm to have this, but I can't find it.

So, let's list a few: baptism/bless birth, christening/naming, marriage, last rights/lay to rest, extreme unction, ritual purification, confession and absolution, sanctify ground, circumcision*/life stage initiation, sacred oath, sacrifice (animal, etc), consecrate ritual item

Bantu cultures have rather specialized rituals for funerals and spirit raising, but I have a good handle on these. I'm creating a holy book for Bantu Traditional Religion, which has two sections on rituals, the Book of Mortuary Rites (done) and the Book of Rituals (which I need help with).

*WTF am I supposed to do about female circumcision/FGM in a Bantu setting?!? At this point I'm saying that it's just a nick to draw blood with no tissue removed. In NO case will I allow any of the the extreme versions, but there has to be some kind of ceremony.
tantric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:59 AM   #9
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Most real world religious rituals are ceremonial rather then magical in intention. Their effect will primarily be social. A rite of passage will remove Social Stigma(minor) for instance.
Yeah, they're often about marking the transition from one phase of life to another, or purification.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:02 AM   #10
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric View Post
In this setting, many of these rituals will have real effects - bad things happen if you skip them.
How blatant are those effects? Does it make being a non-believer completley illogical?
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote