Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-23-2022, 10:59 AM   #1
Ndreare

Default Power Stone Mana Recovery?

I remember reading some rules about Power Stones and the mana recovery, but even using the search function in GURPS Magic (4th edition) I cannot find the rules I had read.

We have a group of PCs with three power stones in it, so I wanted to verify the effect on their recovery rate.

Does anyone know what book/chapter the power stone mana recovery rules are in?
Ndreare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 12:00 PM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Power Stone Mana Recovery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndreare View Post
I

Does anyone know what book/chapter the power stone mana recovery rules are in?
They're in the rules text for the Powerstone spell in the Enchantments section (in Magic of copurse).
Old 05-23-2022, 12:02 PM   #3
KarlKost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
They're in the rules text for the Powerstone spell in the Enchantments section (in Magic of copurse).
The sheer memory of Gurps players never ceases to amaze me. Every time I get into this forum I wonder myself how can you guys do that.
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 12:08 PM   #4
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlKost View Post
The sheer memory of Gurps players never ceases to amaze me. Every time I get into this forum I wonder myself how can you guys do that.
<shrug> That's the place where they've been for 36 years. Although the book was "Fantasy" when they first appeared.
Old 05-23-2022, 12:10 PM   #5
Witchking

The Powerstone energy recovery rate is in the text of the spell.

So yes Magic (under Enchantment College).

Important secondary note IIRC in that same place it also states that ONLY 1 Powerstone can regenerate in a hex (strongest stone takes precedence).

So if the party mage empties all of his Stones in a fight he may have 2-4 of his friends carrying empty stones for the next week or so to get 'recharged'.
Old 05-23-2022, 12:16 PM   #6
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchking View Post
T
So if the party mage empties all of his Stones in a fight he may have 2-4 of his friends carrying empty stones for the next week or so to get 'recharged'.
Ideally every member of the party carries a 3-4 pt stone and that's the energy dedicated to _their_ emergency healing. Note that fully charged stones don't interfere with the recharge of empty stones
Old 05-23-2022, 12:32 PM   #7
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Ideally every member of the party carries a 3-4 pt stone and that's the energy dedicated to _their_ emergency healing. Note that fully charged stones don't interfere with the recharge of empty stones
Well game settings vary in the incidence rate of Magery.

Some games it is common(ish). Other games it is already a bit of a statistical improbability for 1 person in 6 to be so gifted.

I have seen the gamut from the party has A mage to everyone in the party is a mage.
Old 05-24-2022, 06:57 PM   #8
Eric Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchking View Post
Important secondary note IIRC in that same place it also states that ONLY 1 Powerstone can regenerate in a hex (strongest stone takes precedence).

Not "hex"... :)

Technically it is 6' apart (M69), so a wizard 6' STAFF staff is perfect to rest two which the wizard can choose to draw on via the STAFF (M13). Likewise your allies could each carry two that way (shoe and on hat)...
So a group of 'humans' can manage Party*2 stones. (More if you have a wagon and literal mules)...

See also the Powerstone Parker "Precision Recharger" perk which can aid PCs... (GURPS Thaumatology Magical Stylesp.32).

Last edited by Eric Funk; 05-24-2022 at 06:57 PM. Reason: order
Eric Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:14 PM   #9
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Funk View Post
Not "hex"... :)

Technically it is 6' apart (M69), so a wizard 6' STAFF staff is perfect to rest two which the wizard can choose to draw on via the STAFF (M13). Likewise your allies could each carry two that way (shoe and on hat)...
So a group of 'humans' can manage Party*2 stones. (More if you have a wagon and literal mules)...

See also the Powerstone Parker "Precision Recharger" perk which can aid PCs... (GURPS Thaumatology Magical Stylesp.32).
Umm 36 years probably a couple more than that PC's played, another 20+ PC's written up as backups...95% for Fantasy campaigns.

Never made a character as tall as 6'. Historically 5'6"-5'7" would be closer to average. 6+ footers existed but were notable. One stone per travelling companion, party member, mule has always been enough for me.

YMMV.
Old 05-31-2022, 08:44 PM   #10
StevenH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Funk View Post

...As long as they don't stand too close to each other. Fine out in the wilderness, but in a crowded city, people tend to bunch up.

And if the PCs are short? Give each of them a 6+' staff with compartments at each end to put dead Powerstones in. That way the stones are kept at least 6' apart, regardless of player character height.

StevenH

My current worldbuilding project. You can find the Adventure Logs of the campaign here. I try to write them up as narrative prose, with illustrations. As such, they are "embellished" accounts of the play sessions.

Link of the moment: Bestiary of Plants. In a world of mana, plants evolved to use it as an energy source.

It is also the new home of the Alaconius Lectures, a series of essays about the various Colleges of Spells.
StevenH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first aid, healing