Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-09-2021, 04:21 PM   #1
JulianLW

Default Default use of a Wild Talent with Retention

Let's say you have Wild Talent with Retention +25% and you use it for a skill for which you'd have no default, i.e. a caveman flying a starfighter. But you don't have a spare CP to invest either. How much of an enhancement do you think it should be to say that this one successful use of Wild Talent (without exercising the Retention option) gives the caveman a default for Pilot: Starfighter in the future?

Edit: The entry for Wild Talent Retention says "This enhancement does not let you learn skills from a TL higher than your own." Nevertheless: how much would you rate an enhancement that made such a default possible?

Last edited by JulianLW; 02-09-2021 at 04:32 PM.
JulianLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:10 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Default use of a Wild Talent with Retention

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianLW View Post
Edit: The entry for Wild Talent Retention says "This enhancement does not let you learn skills from a TL higher than your own." Nevertheless: how much would you rate an enhancement that made such a default possible?
+250%, i.e., an extra 50 points. That's enough to buy High TL +10, which you're effectively gaining.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:21 PM   #3
JulianLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
+250%, i.e., an extra 50 points. That's enough to buy High TL +10, which you're effectively gaining.
I think that's a bit excessive. You're not gaining High TL since you only get a default on a skill you've successfully used your Wild Talent for in the first place. In other words, for each level of WT, you can potentially gain a single High TL skill at default for the future....
Old 02-09-2021, 05:24 PM   #4
kirbwarrior

That sounds about as useful as a 10pt Unusual Background, so whatever that would be as an enhancement (+50%?)
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:50 PM   #5
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
I think that's a bit excessive. You're not gaining High TL since you only get a default on a skill you've successfully used your Wild Talent for in the first place. In other words, for each level of WT, you can potentially gain a single High TL skill at default for the future....
For each level of WT, you can buy a single High TL skill at one-point level, per session. GURPS does generally assume that players take advantages with the intention of using them.
Old 02-09-2021, 06:00 PM   #6
Prince Charon

I think (were I the GM in this scenario) I would just allow defaults on skills that you've used Wild Talent for if you have Retention, since you remember what you did when you had the skill.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:14 PM   #7
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
I think (were I the GM in this scenario) I would just allow defaults on skills that you've used Wild Talent for if you have Retention, since you remember what you did when you had the skill.
Oh, oops, my bad, I misread OP. Yes, if a character has successfully done something with Wild Talent, I would absolutely rule they can default it, even with skills that have no default whatsoever.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:31 PM   #8
JulianLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
For each level of WT, you can buy a single High TL skill at one-point level, per session. GURPS does generally assume that players take advantages with the intention of using them.
I thought so, too, but no. Read the last sentence on B99. I'm inclined to agree with Prince Charon and kirbwarrior that using a Wild Talent once should give you a default for future uses. But I can also see how this might be worth an additional enhancement. Maybe +25%? Anyone else have a thought about this? Thanks, all, for the input so far.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:54 PM   #9
kirbwarrior

Quote:
I thought so, too, but no. Read the last sentence on B99. I'm inclined to agree with Prince Charon and kirbwarrior that using a Wild Talent once should give you a default for future uses. But I can also see how this might be worth an additional enhancement. Maybe +25%? Anyone else have a thought about this? Thanks, all, for the input so far.
I think the biggest thing to consider if it should be worth points is to ask; What is actually being gained?

High TL skills: This is extremely limited High TL of "This skill only" and "Defaults only"
Skill of your TL that this character wouldn't default: That is just a feature of your character
Skills that don't have defaults: I think there's around ten non-special skill that have no default? That alone would be a perk to me. Special skills already need a special trait for them.

The first one sounds like a valid perk; "I can default high TL skills with tech I've used before without needing High TL". You have to get High TL to improve those skills. So that's at most 2pts.

Magic spells are a unique case due to gigantic prerequisite trees. But on the other hand, you already need Magery in addition and Charms exist as perk. (But I would personally just say 'no defaulting magic' to solve any potential issues instead of something complicated).

If that actually sounds necessary, that sounds like a +10% enhancement.. But I also think Wild Talent is overpriced, so bridging the gap is why I let that be free.

Looking over things, I didn't catch that Retention doesn't apply to high TL skills before. Weird.
Old 02-10-2021, 03:19 AM   #10
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Quote:
I thought so, too, but no. Read the last sentence on B99.
Ah, a misunderstanding. Wild Talent with Retention allows you to "learn" skills you've used via Wild Talent, by spending a character point on them. I read you as asking about an enhancement that would allow doing that for higher-TL skills, but you were actually only asking about getting defaults on those skills? Without TL penalties, presumably, since those will readily render defaults impractical.

Tags
default, wild talent