Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-03-2014, 09:21 AM   #21
dataweaver

Default Re: Compute! at a distance via Super Powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I agree the AA Duplication build is too convoluted. I would go with Clairsentinece instead.
Clairsentience isn’t designed for accessing other worlds such as Cyberspace, and always assumes that the projected form will be intangible with respect to its surroundings. Jumper (Cyberspace; Projection) has neither of these issues.

Quote:
Severable is an interesting idea but it is a pretty big advantage to send your mind out away from your body to give you a separate and remote viewpoint.
that’s arguably covered by the cost of Jumper.

Quote:
Duplication has the drawback of physical risk to offset its cost.
So does Jumper (Cyberspace): your cyberspace avatar is subject to interactions with and hostilities from cyberspace residents.

Quote:
If I were to allow Severable I would consider pricing it using At range for +50% but Clairsentience is a better fit I think. And its RAW.
+50% is on the high side, and I wouldn’t call it “At Range” (because the Severability isn’t what lets you project your consciousness); but it’s still within the acceptable range of pricings.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:35 AM   #22
B9anders

Telecommunication [Radio], Digital Mind and Accesory [Computer] should do the trick.
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:46 AM   #23
the_matrix_walker

If you don't need the full immersion of a net-reality, just use Kromm's Lock picking power, ans swap out the "Lockpicks" for an "Implant Computer" Accessory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
If all you want to do is open locks without tools, you could kludge together something like this:

Start with an Accessory perk that grants lockpicks. This is worth 1 point, and lets the owner pick locks the slow, sure way, using visible tools that happen to be attached to her.

Now layer a bunch of modifiers on it:

Cosmic, Irresistible attack, +300% to let the ability work regardless of barriers. Normally, you can't pick a lock that only has an opening on the far side of the door, or that's inside an armored box. Presumably, these things aren't a limit here.

Cosmic, No die roll required, +100% to eliminate the Lockpicking roll and just have the thing work (there's still a hidden Lockpicking roll, at IQ-5 for the untrained, and any modifiers that reduce it below 3 would negate the ability).

No Signature, +20% to eliminate the normally visible tool and activity.

Ranged, +40% to make it work from afar, but with Short-Range 1, -10% to give it the -1/yard penalties typical of spells (this would interact with the hidden roll I mentioned).

Reduced Time 3, +60% to take the 60 seconds for a Lockpicking skill attempt down to something closer to the 10 seconds to cast Lockmaster.

So you get this:
Accessory (Lockpicks; Cosmic, Irresistible attack, +300%; Cosmic, No die roll required, +100%; No Signature, +20%; Ranged, +40%; Reduced Time 3, +60%; Short-Range 1, -10%) [7]
The effect is that the user can walk up to any lock and open it in about 8 seconds without the need to touch or manipulate it, as long as her IQ-5 or Lockpicking, at -1/yard and with security-level penalties, is 3 or higher.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:12 AM   #24
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
If you don't need the full immersion of a net-reality, just use Kromm's Lock picking power, ans swap out the "Lockpicks" for an "Implant Computer" Accessory.
Bwahahah! I was trying to figure out how to stat Control (Explosives) for a power to defuse demolition charges, land mines, etc., or set them off, and this is a much easier way to do it.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:35 PM   #25
otghand

Quote:
Lemme make sure I understand what you're looking at here. You've got this device which is the source of your powers? I thought, based on your initial post, that the powers were meant to be innate, not based in what looks to be a portable cyberdeck. (SM -7 or -8 makes me think "smartphone" actually.)
I was, but the game was starting and we could not come up with a pure innate solution. This approach is a combination - innate powers that require a gadget as an interface to enable them.
otghand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compute!, powers