Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-17-2014, 11:53 PM   #1
lachimba

Default If GURPS did a Kickstarter what would you want it to be?

Firstly giving the disclaimer of no inside knowledge or interest in what's actually practical, just an opinion of what I would be interested in seeing crowd funded.

Either one ,something out of left field like a licensed setting that GURPS magically gets. So imagining something like Game of Thrones powered by GURPS (not that I am interested in this title, its just an example) where they have a small goal of funding maybe 1000 copies of the book, but the stretch goals get more and more ridiculous if there's a buzz... art from series tv show etc, short story by Martin and so on...

Or two, a reprint new edition of an existing book where once again the initial goal is just a hardcopy reprint, but if there is buzz text updates, rules updates etc become possible. So eg something like 'ok we will reprint DF 1 to 3' (once again an example could be GURPS anything that is popular) as a single book with stretch goals that might make the text get reworked to include 'GURPS Light' and page references to the other books etc

Lastly just something new. A new book that at least 1000 people will be interested in with interesting stretch goals etc
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:59 PM   #2
Cybren

Default Re: If GURPS did a Kickstarter what would you want it to be?

subscription based hyperlinked, indexed GURPS 4E encyclopedia with a newer sleeker character sheet app (and mobile version)
Cybren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:25 AM   #3
Qhaysh

GURPS Nation Builder, drawing from City Stats, Lord of the Manor and more, covering all TLs, superscience and magic.

Also, GURPS RPM EVERYTHING. :)
Qhaysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 01:15 AM   #4
Dammann

A tablet-based resolution app, with a map editor and animation, with rules modules that unlock when you have a matching PDF or record of sale, with tick boxes for optional rules, an including a character generator that permits user data files a la GCA would get my money. Something like Storyscape for GURPS is what I am thinking of.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 01:38 AM   #5
Onkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybren View Post
subscription based hyperlinked, indexed GURPS 4E encyclopedia with a newer sleeker character sheet app (and mobile version)
I second that!
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:41 AM   #6
panton41

I'd pay toward a new version of GCA so that Armin has a monetary incentive to finish it. As in helping fund the existing GCA 5 that's already in development.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:46 AM   #7
The Benj

A new edition of GURPS Wild Cards.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 04:44 AM   #8
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran_skye View Post
I'd pay toward a new version of GCA so that Armin has a monetary incentive to finish it. As in helping fund the existing GCA 5 that's already in development.
This one makes the most sense so far.

U can do everything from a $1 support donation, to $10 for the app to higher dollar amounts for subs and new books, playtesting etc

Then your stretch goals can be adding more functionality and content to the software.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:00 AM   #9
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
This one makes the most sense so far.

U can do everything from a $1 support donation, to $10 for the app to higher dollar amounts for subs and new books, playtesting etc

Then your stretch goals can be adding more functionality and content to the software.
Or producing a tablet app, or branching out into tools for spaceship design and star system and planet generation.

This project is good for kickstarting because it mostly requires programmer time, which SJ Games can hire in a fairly straightforward way. Which is unlike content creation and game design. It strikes me that for everything on the Wish List, a kickstarter would be beside the point: the company is already willing to put up the cash to fund any one of those things, and the problem is not cash but someone able and willing to write it.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 10-18-2014 at 05:27 AM.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:06 AM   #10
Keiko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybren View Post
I could go for this.
Keiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kickstarter