Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-08-2014, 06:12 AM   #1
Cyrilin

Default Statting a Hell Surgeon

Hello, dear GURPSians.

Once more I bring to you an insane character concept in hopes that you might make it work. This one was inspired by a aprticularly deranged comic I read.

The concept I am looking at is that of a Hell Surgeon. And insane Frankenstein fanatic that has very, highly cinematic surgery skills that are pretty much in superpower territory.

Basically the things I would like to do is do things like give my party members extra arms, extra heads, etc. (Temporary, of course), Regeneration, winged flight and that sort of fun little thing. I figured that the way to do it would be via Afflictions, though I'm about stumped as to how to work out the exact details.

I'm fine with things like it costing FP and whatnot.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:37 AM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Statting a Hell Surgeon

Actually, I think Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic may well be the right thing to use.

The things you're aiming to do are blatantly supernatural, take a fair amount of time, and can fail badly. RPM can bestow advantages and disadvantages, which is what you need, is clearly supernatural and takes time - normally to gather energy, but there's no reason why that shouldn't be done on an operating table.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:48 AM   #3
Refplace

Pretty much build a series of Afflictions such as Affliction: Extra Arm
Make them alternative Abilities or if you have Powers Ups 4 Enhancement variable Enhancements and just write up a list.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:26 AM   #4
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Actually, I think Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic may well be the right thing to use.

The things you're aiming to do are blatantly supernatural, take a fair amount of time, and can fail badly. RPM can bestow advantages and disadvantages, which is what you need, is clearly supernatural and takes time - normally to gather energy, but there's no reason why that shouldn't be done on an operating table.
Yep. Make Surgery the root skill, add a limitation that it can only be performed by surgery and bam!
Old 06-08-2014, 10:06 AM   #5
Anaraxes

For Frankenstein-like surgical procedures, Effect Shaping seems like a better fit than the Energy Accumulation that's part of the RPM mashup base. Conditional rituals don't seem appropriate, either. And the existing Paths don't seem well balanced in this case, as it's mostly just alteration of the body.

One Powers-based approach would be to have a Modular Ability that's used to build an Affliction that afflicts the appropriate traits on the target -- Extra Arms, Flight (Winged), etc.

I wouldn't mind some more description from the OP. How do you see this ability being used in the game? Does it require an extensive surgical procedure in a mad-scientist lab? Or can you just snap your fingers and have wings sprout from someone's shoulders while you're out in the field, or in the middle of a fight? If you give someone an extra arm, is that a permanent alteration (unless you decide to cut it off again), or will it disappear on its own (perhaps "rotting off" due to lack of proper circulatory support).
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:13 AM   #6
GodBeastX

High Craft with Surgery has the craft skill with that Pyramid on RPM High Craft was my thought on this.
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
madness, powers, surgery