Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #561
Phantasm

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandley View Post
Actually, just stating it as "3.5 hours at top speed" seems fine to me. In line with "The strength of a normal human who engages in no regular exercise and eats a lot of donuts" really.
That doesn't really fit into the game-mechanics stat-block that nicely in my master document, particularly as I'm using a table format for those. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandley View Post
Also, both these bad boys should get 1.2x DR (DR 72 for the UCV and DR 120 for the Jet) for having 6 armor systems. Since you are using Pyramid 3/34.
Hmm... I was using the Pyramid issue mainly for the basic systems rather than getting fiddly with the numbers, but that would certainly improve their survivability in any game these get used in. I'll keep that in mind (probably won't edit their write-ups here, but will in the master doc).

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 12-19-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #562
chandley

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Sadly, the "provides enough fuel for x time" has been how vehicle range has been stated as far back as Gurps 3e Vehicles. Not sure what other number would be useful, as range in miles kind of depends on the speed you pick, and isn't necessarily linear. Might state it as "Operational Time In hours" rather than range, and then you could put in 3.5.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #563
Phantasm

BLACK WIDOW

Real Name: Natalia Alianovna Romanov (anglicized from the Russian form, Romanova). ("Natasha" is the informal version of her name. She has long ago dropped her married surname of Shostakova.)
Identity: Secret; the Black Widow's existence is a classified secret in the intelligence community.
Legal Status: Naturalized citizen of the United States with no criminal record, former citizen of Russia.
Other Aliases: Tasha, Natalie Romanov, Natalie Rushman, many others used on assignment.
Place of Birth: St. Petersburg, Russia.
Marital Status: Divorced, officially widowed.
Known Relatives: Alexei Shostakov (alias Red Guardian, ex-husband).
Group Affiliation: Employee of the CIA, partnered with Nick Fury; former employee of the Russian FSB.
Base of Operations: Arlington, Virginia; formerly Moscow, Russia.
History: Natasha Romanov originally trained as a ballerina, but her career ended when she married test pilot Alexi Shostakov. When he apparently died in an accident involving live-fire testing, she was in the proper emotional state to be recruited into the FSB (Federal Security Bureau of the Russian Federation, the successor to the infamous KGB). (Unknown to Natasha at the time, Shostakov's death had been staged, and he was given the role of the now-current Red Guardian. See Red Guardian.)

Natasha was trained as an espionage agent in the FSB, specializing in the infiltration of organizations and elimination of key personnel (assassination). Ultimately, she became known in the Intelligence community as the mysterious Black Widow, such was the reputation she cultivated both inside and outside Russia.

It was on one such assignment for the FSB that she first crossed paths with the American agent Nick Fury, when she was ordered to get close enough to him to kill him (see Fury, Nick). During this assignment, which involved her seeming defection to the CIA under deep cover, she encountered her supposedly late husband.

Upset that she had been lied to for so long by both the FSB and her husband, Natasha explained everything to Fury, offering to operate as a double agent. During this time, she fed the CIA information on the FSB while stalling the latter in regards to her assignment. The FSB, however, discovered that her defection had become genuine and sent Red Guardian to kill her.

While Natasha survived that attempt, no one can tell for certain whether he pulled his punches. In addition, due to certain things Alexi said, Natasha has become uncertain as to whether her marriage – or any of her past, for that matter – was real or if it was implanted through telepathy and hypnosis.

Today Natasha is one of the few people fully trusted by Fury.
Height: 5' 7".
Weight: 125 lbs.
Eyes: Green.
Hair: Auburn.
Uniform: Officially none. When going into a combat situation, however, she tends to wear a blue-black bodysuit made from an advanced/experimental ballistic fabric, blue-black gloves, blue-black boots, gold utility belt, pistol holsters strapped to her thighs, and her bracelet guns.
Strength Level: The Black Widow possesses the normal human strength of a woman her apparent age, height, and build who engages in intensive regular exercise.
Known Superhuman Powers: None.
Other Abilities: The Black Widow is an Olympic-level gymnast, a skilled hand to hand combatant, and a marksman with most conventional handguns. She is also skilled at faking a number of accents from across the world, and is fluent in over a dozen languages, including but not limited to Russian, English, Mandarin and Cantonese Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, French, Spanish, and German.
Weapons: The Black Widow wears a pair of bracelets with various weaponry built in, the actual loadout changing based on the needs of the assignment. Among the weapons depicted so far have been aerosol gas sprayers, low-caliber caseless projectiles, lasers, a retractable garrote, a taser, and a vortex ring projector. In addition, one of the bracelets can fire a grapnel line which can embed itself in brick up to 300 feet away.

In addition, Natasha Romanov carries a pair of Glock 20 pistols, using the full-powered 10mm Auto round. She normally loads the pistols with dual-purpose APHP (armor-piercing hollow-point) ammunition. (This round is a hollow-point round with a dense core protruding into the hollow cavity. Against "hard" or armored targets, the bullet acts as an armor-piercing round, while against "soft" fleshy targets, such as a human body, the bullet acts like a standard hollow-point round.) While she rarely uses it, both pistols are equipped with laser sights.

"I'm in the middle of an interrogation here. This moron is telling me everything."
- Agent Romanoff, Marvel's Avengers

964 points
Attributes:
ST 12 [20]; DX 15 [100]; IQ 12 [40]; HT 15 [50].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 2d-1/3d+1; BL 29 lbs.; HP 15 [6]; Will 14 [10]; Per 14 [10]; FP 15 [0]; Basic Speed 7.5 [0]; Basic Move 10 [15]; Dodge 14.
Languages: English (Native) [4]; Russian (Native) (Native Language) [0].
Cultural Familiarities: Eastern European [0].
Advantages: Ambidexterity [5]; Appearance (Beautiful) [12]; Charisma 3 [15]; Combat Reflexes [15]; Cultural Adaptability [10]; Empathy [15]; Enhanced Dodge 3 [45]; Enhanced Parry (All Parries) 3 [30]; Extra Attack 1 [25]; Fearlessness 2 [4]; Flexibility [5]; Gunslinger [25]; Hard to Kill 1 [2]; Hard to Subdue 1 [2]; Intelligence Rank 4 [20]; Intuition [15]; Language Talent [10]; Legal Enforcement Powers 3 [15]; Omnilingual [40]; Night Vision 2 [2]; Perfect Balance [15]; Peripheral Vision [15]; Recovery [10]; Reputation (as the Black Widow) +4 (Large Class of People: Intelligence Community) (10) [5]; Resistant to Disease (+3) [3]; Resistant to Poisons (+3) [5]; Security Clearance (need-to-know on broad range of secrets) [10]; Smooth Operator 4 [60]; Social Chameleon [5]; Striking ST +7 [35]; Trained By A Master [30]; Very Fit [15].
Perks: Accent (Hollywood American/Southern Californian) [1]; Akimbo (Guns (Pistol)) [1]; Cross-Trained (Guns (Pistol)) [1]; Cross-Trained (Guns (Rifle)) [1]; Cross-Trained (Guns (SMG)) [1]; Disarming Smile [1]; Off-Hand Weapon Training (Guns (Pistol)) [1]; Off-Screen Reload [1]; Pants-Positive Safety [1]; Photogenic [1]; Pistol-Fist (Guns (Pistol)) [1]; Quick Reload (Detachable Magazine) [1]; Sexy Pose [1]; Special Exercises (Striking ST +7) [7]; Style Familiarity: Double Trouble [1]; Style Familiarity: Jeet Kun Do [1]; Style Familiarity: Sambo [1].
Disadvantages: Code of Honor (Personal) [-5]; Duty (CIA) (15) [-15]; Enemy (FSB; Hunter) (6) [-15]; Secret Identity (Possible Death) [-30]; Selfless (12) [-5].
Quirks: OUCH! [-1]; Rule-Breaker [-1]; Self-Deprecating Sense of Humor [-1]; Uncertain as to whether details of her past are real [-1].
Skills: Acrobatics (H) DX+5 [20] – 20*; Acting (A) IQ+6 [8] – 18†; Climbing (A) DX+5 [4] – 20‡; Dancing (A) DX+1 [4] – 16; Driving/TL8 (Automobile) (A) DX-1 [1] – 14; Escape (H) DX+3 [4] – 18‡; Fast-Draw (Ammo) (E) DX+1 [1] – 16#; Fast-Draw (Pistol) (E) DX+1 [1] – 16#; Garrote (E) DX+3 [8] – 18; Guns/TL8 (Pistol) (E) DX+3 [8] – 18; Guns/TL8 (Rifle) (E) DX+3 [6] – 18¥; Guns/TL8 (Rifle) (E) DX+3 [6] – 18¥; Interrogation (A) IQ+4 [16] – 16; Judo (H) DX+5 [24] – 20; Jumping (E) DX+3 [8] – 18; Karate (H) DX+5 [24] – 20; Knife (E) DX+1 [2] – 16; Lockpicking/TL8 (A) IQ+2 [8] – 14; Mimicry (Speech) (H) IQ+0 [4] – 12; Observation (A) Per+1 [4] – 15; Savoir-Faire (High Society) (E) IQ+4 [1] – 16†; Search (A) Per+0 [2] – 14; Sex Appeal (A) HT+10 [8] – 25†§; Stealth (A) DX+3 [12] – 18; Wrestling (A) DX+5 [20] – 20.
Techniques: Acrobatic Stand (Acrobatics) (A) def+6 [6] – 20; Counterattack (Karate) (H) def+5 [6] – 20; Dual-Weapon Attack (Guns (Pistol)) (H) def+4 [5] – 18; Elbow Strike (Karate) (A) def+2 [2] – 20; Fighting While Seated (Karate) (H) def+2 [3] – 20; Head Lock (Wrestling) (H) def+3 [4] – 20; Kicking (Karate) (H) def+2 [3] – 20; Knee Strike (Karate) (A) def+1 [1] – 20; Sweep (Wrestling) (H) def+3 [4] – 20; Targeted Attack (Knife Thrust/Vitals) (H) def+2 [3] – 15; Wrench Arm (H) def+7 [8] – 15.
Starting Spending Money: $4,000 (20% of Starting Wealth).

* includes +1 from Perfect Balance
† includes +4 from Smooth Operator
‡ includes +3 from Flexibility
# includes +1 from Combat Reflexes
¥ defaulted from Guns/TL8 (Pistol)
§ includes +4 from Appearance

Notes:
1. This Black Widow is not a recipient of any Russian "super-soldier" treatments, at least not revealed as such at the end of Year One.
2. Her "uniform" was intended to be akin to the TL9 Reflex Bodysuit listed in Ultra-Tech (p. UT172), but as it is presumably AIM-tech it is possible that it's made from the TL10 Nanoweave Bodysuit. Gloves and boots would be made of the same material. The Reflex's DR 12 vs piercing and cutting will protect against most pistols and SMGs, I think, though the DR 4 vs burning damage will be a detriment against mooks wielding laser weaponry.

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.

Last edited by Phantasm; 03-28-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:10 PM   #564
Refplace

I like that you gave her good social abilities, we dont see that too much in the Avengers comics but ti shows up in others.
I would give her Fit.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #565
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I would give her Fit.
Do you mean instead of Very Fit? I was thinking that the Resistances were not too helpful since she has that and HT15.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:32 PM   #566
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Do you mean instead of Very Fit? I was thinking that the Resistances were not too helpful since she has that and HT15.
Sorry did not see she had very fit.
Darn name changes :P
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:56 PM   #567
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
I was thinking that the Resistances were not too helpful since she has that and HT15.
The reason why I gave her the Resistances, even if only at the lowest possible level for them, is so that when the James Bond Villains she's up against put her in gas chambers or strapped to injection tables that have poisons or diseases that are "roll at HT-5 to resist" she gets better than a 50% chance of doing so.

IIRC, Fit and Very Fit don't add to the resistance against poisons, diseases, or environmental conditions like airsickness and the bends; they help prevent FP loss due to exertion. (I could be wrong, IDHMBWM atm)

Edit: Okay, I was wrong with the previous line. Even so, Very Fit gives a +2 to the resistances; even with an effective HT 17 before Resistances vs a poison that's HT-5 to resist, a resistance of 12 or less is still, in my experience, going to put her out of commission a bit too easily. With the Resistances, that boosts to a resistance roll of 15 or less. Against the nerve poison from Ultra-Tech, with its HT-7 resistance, her resistance roll is 13 or less.

I'd be nuts to give her the +8 level of Resistances without a Russian super-soldier serum. ;)

Last edited by Phantasm; 12-30-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:22 PM   #568
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
IIRC, Fit and Very Fit don't add to the resistance against poisons, diseases, or environmental conditions like airsickness and the bends; they help prevent FP loss due to exertion. (I could be wrong, IDHMBWM atm)
you are wrong I'm afraid they add +1 and +2 (respectively) to all HT rolls. and resisting poisons is one of the examples given in the non-exhaustive list. They just don't add to HT bases Skill rolls. So do stack with Hard to Kill and Resistance etc
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:44 AM   #569
Phantasm

Back with more goodies!

X-MEN'S HELICOPTER

The X-Men have owned two helicopters to date (see X-Men). These helicopters were used by the X-Men for fast travel in the Tri-State area (south-eastern New York, northern New Jersey, and eastern Connecticut) where the X-Van would be inappropriate or too slow (see X-Men's Van).

The first helicopter started its operational life as a Bell-412 corporate helicopter owned by Worthington Industries and "appropriated" by Warren K. Worthington III for the X-Men's use (see Angel). Because they didn't intend for the helicopter to provide anything besides basic transportation, it was unaltered from its original factory specifications, with the exception of a new coat of paint with the X-Men's logo on the side. This helicopter served the X-Men faithfully for several months before being destroyed in a confrontation with Magneto (see Magneto).

The X-Men's current helicopter, the affectionately called the X-Copter, is built upon similar lines. The biggest changes to the airframe include adding additional non-ferrous armor and replacing as much metal in the helicopter as possible with non-ferrous metals (such as aluminum) and non-metal composites, to the point where only the engines contain any metal at all. The X-Copter was built by Bell utilizing special Stark Industries and Worthington Industries equipment (see Stark Industries). The X-Copter has also added a special electronic warfare sensor pod on the nose.

Bell has officially designated the new X-Copter as the 412-X, and is pitching it to the US Army and Marine Corps.

TL: 9
ST/HP: 150
Hnd/SR: +0/4
HT: 12
Move: 8/100
LWt: 10
Load: 1.6
SM: +6 (by size; +4 by mass)
Occ: 1+15S
DR: 40
Range: 800
Cost: $7.9M

Front Hull:
[1-2] Armor, Advanced Metallic Laminate; DR 40, $40K
[3] Control Room; C4 computer, Comm/Sensor 3, 1 Control Stations, $20K
[4] Tactical Sensor Array; Comm/Sensor 4, $100K
[5-6] Passenger Seating; 2 seats, $60K

Central Hull:
[3!] Helicopter Rotor; $100K
[4] Power Plant, Gas Turbine; 2PP, $30K
[5-6, core] Passenger Seating; 3 seats, $90K

Rear Hull:
[3-6, core] Passenger Seating; 5 seats, $150K

Design Features:
Hardened Armor; $120K
NBC Filters Only; x1.5 seats

Notes:
[1] Price is that of a one of a kind prototype; mass-production price is $790K

Design Notes:
1. The Bell 412 has a fuselage of 43 feet long and 15 feet high (can't find a width figure for the 412, but the Bell 212 it was based on has a fuselage width of 8 feet 7 inches), a maximum takeoff weight of 5.4 tons and an empty weight of 3 tons, and can carry 13 passengers with 2 pilots. This technically makes it an SM +6 craft by size alone (SM +5 based on length, and being an "elongated box" puts it to SM +6), but with a mass matching what would be SM +4 or maybe even SM +3 using the scale shown in Spaceships. I have chosen then to build the X-Copter along similar lines, but with better armor and slightly increased performance (due to differences between GURPS and reality).
2. I toyed with the possibility of adding fuel tanks, but ended up with a helicopter that could either go from New York City to Los Angeles (one tank) or circumnavigate the globe (two tanks) without refueling. The default gas turbine from Pyramid #3/34: Alternate GURPS comes with a small fuel tank already built in.
3. I wasn't able to find actual acceleration figures for the Bell 412, so I'm unsure as to whether the first number under Move is valid or not.

Also, I updated the X-Jet and X-Van with the Range figures I calculated.

Last edited by Phantasm; 06-11-2016 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:50 AM   #570
Phantasm

XAVIER INSTITUTE FOR GIFTED YOUNGSTERS

The Xavier Institute for Gifted Youngsters, typically known simply as the Xavier Institute, is the only recognized high school for superhumans in the United States, and quite possibly one of the only places of its kind in the world. The majority of the student body consists of mutants, but the school does not discriminate between mutants and those who gained their powers by other means. The school is located at 1407 Greymalkin Lane in Salem Center, New York, about 40 miles due north of New York City. The headmaster of the school, Professor Charles Xavier, began the school with the express intention of instructing mutants in how to control their powers so they would not be considered "dangerous" by the authorities and general public (see Xavier, Charles).

The Xavier Institute is a fully accredited private school teaching grades 7 through 12, with the majority of the students living on campus; grades 10 through 12 consists of about 20 students in total, with grades 7 through 9 having about 30 to 40 students each. The school offers scholarships for those who cannot afford enrollment; a recent survey showed a full third of the students were actually runaways who had been found living on the streets by Xavier. The faculty consists of fifteen teachers, not including Professor Xavier, a school nurse, three lunchroom cooks, and two janitors. As headmaster, Xavier has taken it upon himself to act as the student counselor.

The primary building of the Xavier Institute is a mansion which has been in the headmaster's family since being built in the 1700s. Professor Xavier inherited the mansion while he was in college, and upon returning home after receiving crippling injuries began to use his inheritance to convert his home into a facility suitable for training mutants in their powers. A second building, meant for additional dormitories, is in the planning stages; upon its completion, the dorms in the main building will be converted to classrooms.

The school's colors are blue and gold, and the mascot is the image of a floating little green blob critter with stumpy arms and a black circle-X on its chest, nicknamed "Doop" by the students. The unofficial school motto among students appears to be, "What would Doop say?"

School Layout

The Grounds:
The school consists of the main building, a three story mansion with two wings, one on the north and one on the south, with an Olympic-sized swimming pool situated between the two wings. A ten-car garage sits off to one side, with a parking lot across from it for the faculty and senior students that own cars. The grounds include a Japanese rock garden, a baseball diamond, a basketball court, a tennis court, and a field that can be used for football, soccer, or field hockey. The Institute has a "no powers" policy regarding intramural sports.

First Floor:
The north wing of this floor contains the school's library and student recreation lounge. The south wing contains the cafeteria (in what was once the formal dining room), kitchen, and pantry. The central area includes the main entry hallway with a pair of staircases headed to the second level, the headmaster's offices, and faculty facilities. A pair of elevators enable the students to head upstairs without needing to use the stairs, while a third elevator starting on this level is used to access the basement and sub-basements.

Second Floor:
The north wing of this floor consists entirely of classrooms. The southern wing consists of dorms for the older students. Xavier's own quarters dominate the central area; this area also houses the school's infirmary.

Third Floor:
This floor consists primarily of student dormitories. The north wing includes a game room. The central area contains laundry facilities, and has a stairwell leading up into the bell tower.

Attic:
This floor consists almost entirely of storage space. The southern wing's attic has been adapted to a studio for dance and martial arts classes, and includes a skylight that runs almost the entire length of the ceiling.

Basement:
As might be expected, the school's basement contains the typical features one would expect to find in a mansion or school: hot water heaters, additional pantry space for canned goods, and Xavier's wine cellar (off-limits to the student body). Xavier has also added a darkroom for photography classes.

Sub-Basement 1:
Taking the elevator to the sub-basements, it becomes apparent that this is not the typical school. This floor contains a medical suite much more advanced than the usual school infirmary, including a series of Stark Industries automated medical diagnostic tables and a room for performing emergency surgery (see Stark Industries). It also contains a holographic map room with monitors showing news reports from around the world; this room does not get used that often.

Sub-Basement 2:
This floor contains two features found nowhere else in the world. The first is a round room which houses the Cerebro computer. Cerebro is used by Professor Xavier in locating mutants around the world by amplifying his own mutant telepahy power for greater range and precision when he wears a special helmet. As a secondary feature, the room also contains many holographic projectors, controlled via Cerebro's helmet.

The second feature on this level is the Institute's super-powers training center, affectionately referred to as "the Danger Room". This room, roughly the size of a standard high school gymnasium in all three dimensions, consists of a number of reconfigurable traps and non-lethal obstacles, along with advanced holographic projectors which enable the room to duplicate the look of any terrain imaginable. The Danger Room is operated from a control room situated about halfway up the western wall. Connected to the Danger Room are locker rooms and showers.

Game-Mechanic Details:
Cerebro is a TL9^ psi-tech telepathic amplifier connected to a holographic terminal.

The Danger Room is a TL8 facility coupled with TL10^ holographic projectors.

Last edited by Phantasm; 05-06-2014 at 05:51 AM.

Tags
avengers, captain america, captain marvel, chandley, character creation, chargen, iron man, marvel, phantasm, supers, thor, x-men