Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-28-2008, 03:47 PM   #151
Phantasm

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Once again, an edit came out too long.

Doctor Strange

Bio posted here.

1240 points
Attributes:
ST 11 [10]; DX 11 [20]; IQ 14 [80]; HT 11 [10].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d-1/1d+1; BL 24; HP 11 [0]; Will 16 [10]; Per 14 [0]; FP 11 [0]; Basic Speed 5.5 [0]; Basic Move 5 [0].
Languages: Chinese (Accented) [4]; English (Native) [0]; Latin (Accented) [4].
Advantages: Astral Projection (Alternate Form: Spirit; Projected Form, -50%; Magical, -10%) [100]; Charisma 3 [15]; Danger Sense (Magical, -10%) [14]; Energy Reserve 17 [51]; Healer 3 [30]; Independent Income 20 [20]; Indomitable [15]; Mind Reading (Multiple Contacts, +50%; Telecommunication, -20%; Magical, -10%) [36]; Reputation (Occult Expert) 2 (All the time; Large Class of People) [5]; Ritual Magery 5 [55]; Signature Gear (Cloak of Levitation) [3]; Signature Gear (Eye of Agamotto [Amulet]) [14]; Snatcher (Creation, +100%; Permanent, +300%; Magical, -10%) [392]; Telecommunication (Telesend) (Magical, -10%) [27]; Trained By A Master [30]; Wealth (Wealthy) [30].
Perks: Autotrance [1]; Cloaked [1]; Style Familiarity (Chin Na) [1]; Style Familiarity (T'ai Chi) [1].
Disadvantages: Bad Grip -1 [-5]; Discipline of Faith (Mysticism) [-10]; Ham-Fisted -1 [-5]; Light Sleeper [-5]; Loner (12) [-5]; Pacifism (Cannot Harm Innocents) [-10]; Reputation (As a kook) -4 (Small class of people; Some of the time, 10 or less) [-4]; Sense of Duty (Earth Dimension) [-15].
Quirks: Chauvinistic [-1]; Closet Hockey Fan [-1].
Skills: Biology/TL8 (Biochemistry) (H) IQ-2 [1] – 12; Breath Control (H) HT+1 [8] – 12; Connoisseur (Visual Arts) (A) IQ+1 [4] – 15; Diagnosis/TL8 (Human) (H) IQ+1 [1] – 15*; Electronics Operation/TL8 (Medical) (A) IQ+2 [8] – 16; Esoteric Medicine (H) Per+1 [1] – 15*; Games (Hockey) (E) IQ [1] – 14; Hobby Skill (Hockey Teams) IQ [1] – 14; Innate Attack (Beam) (E) DX+3 [8] – 14; Innate Attack (Projectile) (E) DX+3 [6] – 14†; Judo (H) DX+1 [8] – 12; Judo Art (H) DX+1 [7] – 12‡; Literature (H) IQ+1 [8] – 15; Meditation (H) Will+0 [4] – 16; Occultism (A) IQ+6 [24] – 20; Pharmacy/TL8 (Synthetic) (H) IQ+1 [1] – 15*; Physician/TL8 (Human) (H) IQ+1 [1] – 15*; Physiology/TL8 (Human) (H) IQ+1 [1] – 15*; Pressure Points (Human) (H) IQ-2 [1] – 12; Ritual Magic (Sorcery) (VH) IQ+11 [32] – 25§; Surgery/TL8 (Neurosurgery) (H) IQ+4 [20] – 18*#; Thaumatology (VH) IQ+11 [32] – 25§; Writing (A) IQ+1 [4] – 15.
Magic Ritual Paths: Path of Air (VH) IQ+6 [4] – 20§∫; Path of Body Control (VH) IQ+6 [4] – 20§∫; Path of Communication and Empathy (VH) IQ+6 [4] – 20§∫; Path of Earth (VH) IQ+6 [4] – 20§∫; Path of Fire (VH) IQ+6 [4] – 20§∫; Path of Gate (VH) IQ+6 [4] – 20§∫; Path of Healing (VH) IQ+6 [4] – 20§∫; Path of Illusion and Creation (VH) IQ+6 [4] – 20§∫; Path of Knowledge (VH) IQ+6 [4] – 20§∫; Path of Light and Darkness (VH) IQ+6 [4] – 20§∫; Path of Making and Breaking (VH) IQ+6 [4] – 20§∫; Path of Meta-Spells (VH) IQ+6 [4] – 20§∫; Path of Mind Control (VH) IQ+6 [4] – 20§∫; Path of Movement (VH) IQ+6 [4] – 20§∫; Path of Necromancy (VH) IQ+6 [4] – 20§∫; Path of Protection and Warning (VH) IQ+6 [4] – 20§∫; Path of Sound (VH) IQ+6 [4] – 20§∫; Path of Technological (VH) IQ+6 [4] – 20§∫; Path of Water (VH) IQ+6 [4] – 20§∫; Path of Weather (VH) IQ+6 [4] – 20§∫.
Spells: Alarm (H) def+1 [2] – 20; Astral Vision (H) def+5 [6] – 19; Banish (H) def+5 [6] – 15; Conceal Magic (H) def+1 [2] – 20; Counterspell (H) def+1 [2] – 20; Dispel Possession (H) def+5 [6] – 20; Entombment (H) def+2 [3] – 17; Fireball (H) def+3 [4] – 20; Flight (H) def+2 [3] – 20; Identify Spell (H) def+1 [2] – 20; Lightning (H) def+6 [7] – 20; Manipulate (H) def+2 [3] – 20; Pentagram (H) def+5 [6] – 16; Reverse Missiles (H) def+2 [3] – 20; Scrywall (H) def+1 [2] – 20; Shield (H) def+1 [2] – 20; Sunbolt (H) def+6 [7] – 20; Truthsayer (H) def+2 [3] – 20; Turn Spirit (H) def+3 [4] – 20.

* Includes +3 from Healer.
† Defaulted From Innate Attack (Beam).
‡ Defaulted from Judo.
§ Includes +5 from Ritual Magery.
# Includes -3 From Ham-Fisted.
∫ Defaulted from Ritual Magic (Sorcery)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 04-11-2008 at 06:37 AM.
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:32 PM   #152
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031
I forgot to add notes to that. He doesn't want to kill anyone, and will go to lengths to avoid that situation. He may be a thief, but he's no murderer.
Pacifism: Reluctant Killer (-5 points)

Quote:
Thoughts on how to streamline this so that when I get to other battlesuited characters I don't end up with an unreadable list?
We're talking super-heroes and supervillains here - each one quasi-unique - so the same Gadget "package" won't apply to all of them. All I can suggest is listing what this particular package contains at the head of the gadget's description.
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:53 AM   #153
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Doctor Strange

Advantages:
Quirks: Closet Hockey Fan [-1].
Skills: Games (Hockey) (E) IQ [1] – 14; Hobby Skill (Hockey Teams) IQ [1] – 14
Magic Ritual Paths:
Advantages: What do you think of adding in some Fearlessness? Do you think his Will alone is enough?
Quirks and Skills: Dunno why, but the hockey thing struck me as funny :) Just something from the blue, or current continuity?
Magic Ritual Paths: Nothing special to note... I just like the way the Ritual Method cuts down what could be a very cluttered area of the cs. You might get some ideas for modifying this further when Thaumatology comes out...
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:47 PM   #154
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery
Advantages: What do you think of adding in some Fearlessness? Do you think his Will alone is enough?
I'm not entirely sure if the Will alone is enough. This is one of those cases where I'd have to see it in action to see if there's a necessity for boosting it above 16.

Quote:
Quirks and Skills: Dunno why, but the hockey thing struck me as funny :) Just something from the blue, or current continuity?
Just something out of the blue that I thought would make him a little more human. Some people tend to forget that superheroes and supervillains are also people with their favorite passions that have nothing to do with their background or powerset.

Quote:
Magic Ritual Paths: Nothing special to note... I just like the way the Ritual Method cuts down what could be a very cluttered area of the cs. You might get some ideas for modifying this further when Thaumatology comes out...
Yeah, I'm waiting for Thaumatology as well. Marvel's underlying metaphysics are laid out in layman's terms fairly well in the OHOTMUDE, and I'm trying to stay true to those as best I can given what's in Characters, Fantasy, and Magic. Thaumatology will certainly help.

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:08 PM   #155
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure if the Will alone is enough. This is one of those cases where I'd have to see it in action to see if there's a necessity for boosting it above 16.
I suppose you'll need to figure out what sort of things he'll be going up against. If I were doing my own version, I could see boosting up his effective Will to 20 or more... maybe even give him Unfazeable. He was commonly interacting with cosmic entities that seem like they should be be giving off natural Awe/Terror attacks to lesser beings... but your reboot universe might not be as supernaturally active.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:17 PM   #156
transmetahuman

Doc Strange has two Independent Incomes in the write-up. Also, that astral projection ability seems to take 10 seconds to activate or deactivate. Though the details might just be getting left off the character sheet, since you do have it costing [100].
transmetahuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:43 AM   #157
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmetahuman
Doc Strange has two Independent Incomes in the write-up. Also, that astral projection ability seems to take 10 seconds to activate or deactivate. Though the details might just be getting left off the character sheet, since you do have it costing [100].
Huh. Good catch on the Independent Incomes. Good old ^C^V error hits again. I'll have to go through my notes to see which to keep.

As for his astral projection, let me see here. The Spirit meta-trait is 261 points. 261 * 0.9 is 234.9, + 15 for AF makes it 249.9, rounded to 250 points. 250 - 60% worth of modifiers (or 150 points) is 100 points.

And to my knowledge, taking 10 seconds (or more!) to project your astral form is in keeping with most magical traditions that I'm aware of that claim such a feat. I don't see astral projection as requiring "Active Change" or anything of that nature to reduce the time, as he has to mentally prepare to separate mind from body. Reintegrating the two is also something that seems like it would take some readjustment time.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:30 AM   #158
vitruvian

Quote:
And to my knowledge, taking 10 seconds (or more!) to project your astral form is in keeping with most magical traditions that I'm aware of that claim such a feat.
Yeah, but it's not really in keeping with Dr. Strange, at least not if you want him to be anything like his actual comic book appearances. He sometimes slips out of his body in the midst of getting conked on the head, etc. Of course, that's only another 15 points at most to make the AF Reduced Time to 0, possibly Reflexive; such enhancements do *not* increase the cost of the template, remember.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:53 AM   #159
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian
Yeah, but it's not really in keeping with Dr. Strange, at least not if you want him to be anything like his actual comic book appearances.
Characters aren't necessarily supposed to model the comics exactly, and in an emergency, he could make the shift faster with a Power Stunt.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:06 AM   #160
vitruvian

Quote:
Characters aren't necessarily supposed to model the comics exactly,
Sure, but there's a big difference between 'doesn't model exactly' and 'doesn't feel much like at all'. For a total cost in Reduced Time between 6 pts (3 seconds) and 15 pts (instant), I'd probably throw some in there. The Spirit template might need some adjusting to have practically instant movement capabilities across the globe - it's definitely part of the feel for him to take a couple of moments to astral conference with the Ancient One or go talk smack to Mordo in his castle.

He should probably have a little Karate skill to go along with his Judo, at least at a beginner (1 pt) level. After all, Wong kicks butt, and will eventually teach Strange as much as he will learn. Also, Ditko Strange was definitely not afraid to deliver a good right cross when spells weren't the right tool for a situation.... I'm not saying take him to the ridiculous level seen back in Avengers/Defenders War, when he was nearly able to school *Mantis*, but some competence in fisticuffs seems in order.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avengers, captain america, captain marvel, chandley, character creation, chargen, iron man, marvel, phantasm, supers, thor, x-men