Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 10-24-2021, 06:11 PM   #1
Bacus

Default Miniature Assembly issues

Has anyone else had an issue with the poor quality of assembly with items being askew, poorly seated, badly trimmed or many large gaps left? I even have one that's missing a part which I will have to contact SJG about.

Does anyone know what kind of solvent might be used to break the bonding agent loose without harming the model? so I can take them apart and reassemble them.

I was kind of hoping that there would be some assembly required with the cars to avoid this kind of issue.

**** Follow up ****
After much testing of the bonding agents and an exacto knife under a fingernail I came to the conclusion these are plastic miniatures put together with plastic glue making it near impossible to fix any issues with them.

SJG should very strongly consider making the cars available in unassembled to wear those that want to have better looking / assembled miniatures can partake in that aspect / hobby.

Last edited by Bacus; 10-29-2021 at 06:08 PM.
Bacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 08:09 PM   #2
JimTullis

Default Re: Miniature Assembly issues

I was hoping that the weapons would be molded separately and come unmounted.

Oh, well.
I can deal with this.
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 04:02 AM   #3
beetle496

@Bacus the miniature quality is about what I expected. Askew and poorly seated I have not experienced.

I spotted some gaps, but nothing I thought needed filling. Some poor trimming, but nothing I caught before starting to paint (so that is probably on me). The biggest annoyance I have had is spots where lack of detail causing me to wonder: Is this part of gun, the window, the body? Usually, the reference art has cleared that up for me.

I definitely prefer painting figures over cars.
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:53 AM   #4
kjamma4

FWIW - the miniatures are the components I was least interested in and to be honest, I purchased the add-on minis solely for the cards.

That being said, I think the minis are the thing I am most impressed with. I'm no painter by any stretch of the imagination but I'm ready to give them a go.

Additionally, I'm a big fan of the turning key used in previous editions and was initially skeptical of the new one but frankly, the new one in conjunction with the vehicle bases is really quite inspired.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:35 AM   #5
JimTullis

Not particularly impressed with the majority of the minis. Unfortunately for me Phil managed to put ONE good mini in 3 out 4 of the expansions. ;)

I would probably have been happier with the Faction Packs that were implied by earlier concepts since Apollo and Conestoga would probably have both been in the same pack, and most of the sports cars would have been bundled together for easy avoidance.

Nothing wrong with the sports cars per se. They just don't inspire me. YMMV.
Old 10-25-2021, 11:31 AM   #6
beetle496

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
…and to be honest, I purchased the add-on minis solely for the cards.
When I realized that was my mindset, I cut back my KS pledge. My brain and my heart continue fighting fiercely about that!
Quote:
FWIW - the miniatures are the components I was least interested in… That being said, I think the minis are the thing I am most impressed with. I'm no painter by any stretch of the imagination but I'm ready to give them a go.
Yes please! You will be happy you did!
Quote:
Additionally, I'm a big fan of the turning key used in previous editions and was initially skeptical of the new one but frankly, the new one in conjunction with the vehicle bases is really quite inspired.
+1 to both of these, other game mechanics as well.

As a teenager, I had lots of miniatures, but never enough, and gave them away when I went to college. Just a couple years before Covid, I became a big fan of having miniatures at the tables. I was thrilled when it became plain that 6e would be a miniatures game.

But not being able to get a goodly number of them at the table all at once is breaking my heart. More miniatures, since they will mostly go unused, just makes me sadder. So I don’t quite understand: Why is heart is still fighting brain about Sets 2 and 4?

Last edited by beetle496; 10-25-2021 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-25-2021, 12:27 PM   #7
Bacus

I am assuming that the minis are a resin or some other hard plastic, I will try using a bath of purple stuff to break I'm assuming super glue free so I can try and reassemble them.

If anyone else has any other suggestions as to what might break the bonding agent free it would be greatly appreciated.
Bacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 02:36 PM   #8
Chernobyl

The mini's I've gotten in the double ace all look fine. the biggest issue with the I've had is a couple won't seat all the way on the pins of the base, so I've got a little drilling ahead of me.
as some have said I think the new turning key is pretty sweet.
Chernobyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 04:11 PM   #9
beetle496

@Chernobyl , have you starting painting your figures?

The defects are minor enough that I would have missed them otherwise. My experience with painting (biological) figures has been one of delight, discovering small details which are very easy to overlook, and that I would have otherwise missed. A skull here. An extra mouth there. For now at least, I am only painting the core figures. No ‘easter eggs’ yet!

@JimTullis comment about ‘factions’ has got me thinking though…
Old 10-25-2021, 08:18 PM   #10
JimTullis

Beetle, I've always found that biological figures are more forgiving to paint.

I painted quite a bit of Tau and everything is hard flat surfaces that show all imperfections.
Warmachine on the other hand has lots of places to bury that sort of thing.
Sjaven even more so. ;)