Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 10-13-2021, 08:28 PM   #21
JimTullis

Default Re: Uncle Albert's Catalog BINDER (Long Post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrekin View Post
Can I get a link?
https://discord.gg/FtpHvdJwas
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 05:35 PM   #22
beetle496

Default Between my FLGS and Staples, I am set!

@JimTullis — Using UA for the model is very clever! I would rather have four small binders rather than one large one though. I might steal your UA theming idea though!

I am working on sorting the cards now. Somehow I was surprised that (1) Euro sized sleeves are the perfect fit, and (2) how inexpensive individual sleeves are (~½¢ ea.). Re-reading OP, those details are there! So far, I have only sleeved the drivers and gunners, but I might change my mind about that.

The only 3-ring binder style card sleeves my FLGS had are sized for baseball/MtG, so 3×3 per sheet. They were also inexpensive, 3/$1. I noticed that exactly two CW cards could fit sideways in each slot, and thought that would be good enough. I bought 20, figuring 5 sheets per player; so up to 90 cards.

Then I went to Staples and bought four “report covers” for a couple bucks each. These are nominally designed for 100 (!) sheets of 3-hole punched paper.

From the start, having the cards sideways was suboptimal, but I though I could live with that. Putting the cards in sideways was no good at all though, as it puts too much stress on the cards to take them in and out.

I wasn’t happy with the prospect of (1) needing twice as many sheets or (2) each sheet having so much wasted space. Regardless, I filled out a couple of these binders, and thought I would report back to this thread, since I am quite pleased with the results!

Most pockets have two cards, since most weapons come in pairs. A few pockets (i.e., the three with Drivers, Gunners, and Steel Plates) have four cards. Several pockets only have a single card (e.g., structures and upgrades). The cards are easy to get in-and-out. The cards are sorted by one type per sheet, in increasing BP value. Visually, it is very easy to see everything. (And they are upside-right, not sideways.)

I have not opened the expansions yet, so I am currently only using five sheets per player. I have 15 pockets empty, so even with keeping each sheet to one type/kind, I don’t expect to need more than 8 sheets per player.

The only bad thing I have noticed so far is that the sleeved cards fall out easily, as do all the cards in the three pockets in the top row. Done anyone have any ideas for helping with that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
I don't like using binders for cards.
Why is that? (I have no experience with deck builders whatsoever.)
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:56 AM   #23
JimTullis

Beetle, cards are less likely to fall out if you get the Ultra-Pro Mini sheets. They have 16 slots. I can easily get 4 cards in a slot.

I'm using 4 binders. I'm also dividing stuff up, so some pages aren't full. I often (but not always) leave the top 4 slots empty in this project due to art i have running across the top of the divide sheets.

I've updated my project, every card sheet has been stuck to an Ultra Pro 8.5 x 11 sheet protector with clear double sided tape. The sheet protector holds a page with the section heading and has a table with the card names that belong on that page according to my sorting criteria.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:13 AM   #24
beetle496

Thanks @JimTullis — is this Ultra Pro Platinum 16 Pocket Platinum Mini American Cards the right thing? If not, please provide a correct link.

Glad to see that these are not any more expensive than what the FLGS has.

And just to double-check: It’s no problem to get the cards in and out?

It seems to me like the fit would be tight, and that the product is more for display/storage/preservation than regular routine use?
Old 10-18-2021, 06:28 PM   #25
beetle496

I do not think I have been able to find the right product online. Please see this question/answer about the size difference between American and European Mini. I will try the other FLGS this weekend. I don’t want to order 100 of the wrong thing!

Follows is what I have for now with my 3⨉3 scheme so far, one set of DA cards sorted. Count is 15 sleeves, but I will probably move the few Blast and Shock Weapons to their own sheet.
  1. Drivers (0-7)
  2. Gunners (0-7)
  3. Sidearms
  4. Gear (and targeting computers)
  5. Accessories
  6. Upgrades
  7. Structure (armor only)
  8. Slug Weapons (two pages, 14 total), Blast Weapons (2)
  9. Shred Weapons (two pages, 14 total), Shock Weapons (2)
  10. Lasers and Fire Weapons
  11. Melee Weapons (3), Bumper Spikes (frame upgrade), Ramplate (structure), Rockets (3)
  12. Turrets (7)
  13. Dropped Weapons
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle496 View Post
…so even with keeping each sheet to one type/kind, I don’t expect to need more than 8 sheets per player.
Lol, I was off by 100% !!!

Last edited by beetle496; 10-18-2021 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:30 AM   #26
JimTullis

Quote:
Thanks @JimTullis — is this Ultra Pro Platinum 16 Pocket Platinum Mini American Cards the right thing? If not, please provide a correct link.

Glad to see that these are not any more expensive than what the FLGS has.

And just to double-check: It’s no problem to get the cards in and out?

It seems to me like the fit would be tight, and that the product is more for display/storage/preservation than regular routine use?
Yes, that is the correct product.
The size they quote on the package is wrong.
You will have zero problems putting sleeved cards in or taking them out as long as you don't put more than 6 copies in a slot.
X-Wing players use these all the time without any problem.

Yes, they were invented for displaying baseball cards, but MTG players have been using the larger size for a long time, and X-Wing players have been using this size for several years.
Old 10-19-2021, 03:06 AM   #27
beetle496

Thank you @JimTullis — I will order today!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunger00 View Post
Would love to see photos of the finished product…
+1 to this. Might you share via DropBox, as you did with the UA template? Even with all your help, and my poor imitation in hand, I am not quite able to visualize what you have going!

Last edited by beetle496; 10-19-2021 at 03:17 AM.
Old 10-19-2021, 10:36 AM   #28
JimTullis

Some photos of my Orange (yellow player) Binder.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ra70s052a...z5h9J9ula?dl=0
Old 10-19-2021, 05:46 PM   #29
beetle496

Very nice!
Old 10-20-2021, 05:23 PM   #30
beetle496

Quote:
Thank you @JimTullis — I will order today!
Amazon is so efficient, it is frightening. I got my sleeves this afternoon, less than 36 hours after ordering this reasonably obscure product? Their algorithms knew I would buy this before I did!