Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-04-2020, 06:09 AM   #51
Luke Bunyip

Default Re: [AtE] Best bang for your Warlord buck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
There is a difference between a small band (which favor close range and effective fire power, so some kind of repeating design is a clear winner) and the OP "army of mook", which call for something economical to manufacture, and cheap to train with.
If you're implying that I'm giving the PC group a slight advantage, when it comes to encounters with elements of the mook army, well all I can say is that I resemble that remark [wink]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
But making metal cartridge, and especially mass producing those, is something else.
Totally agree, which is why I like the idea of percussion cap primed revolver style weaponry.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:52 AM   #52
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Bunyip View Post
Totally agree, which is why I like the idea of percussion cap primed revolver style weaponry.
I'll bring up the Chassepot rifle again. It uses a paper cartridge with the primer inside. Think of it as a bridge between muzzle-loading percussion and breech-loading cartridge rifles

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/cha...needle-rifles/

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com

Last edited by copeab; 05-04-2020 at 08:11 AM.
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:47 AM   #53
copeab

Quote:
Now that's a nice differentiation. Ta muchly.
As an example, the Huot, based on the Canadian Ross rifle:

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/huo...oes-full-auto/

Old 05-04-2020, 07:57 AM   #54
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab View Post
I'll bring up the Chassepot rifle again. It uses a paper cartridge with the primer inside. Think of it as a bridge between muzzle-loading percussion and breech-loading cart rifles

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/cha...needle-rifles/
I apologise for missing it the first time round. Yup, a no brainer for this scenario.

EDIT: Just realised that I did notice it, and then promptly forgot about it. I blame the government, the position of the stars and planets in the firmament, and my recent bout of gout.

Last edited by Luke Bunyip; 05-04-2020 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Forgettery
Luke Bunyip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:59 AM   #55
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
The sort of skirmishes you're going to have in AtE "warfare" may not call for a lot of shooting from each participant, such that 5 shots may be well sufficient (particularly if most of your opposition are using muzzleloaders). Additionally, you can use loose powder and shot, avoiding the need for cartridges, yet still have something of a repeating design. Of course, revolvers are best with percussion caps, which increases demands on ammunition manufacture (not quite as much as needing cartridges, but still an increase). Flintlock revolvers are possible, of course.
For those who are interested, Forgotten Weapons has a video on them (a bit over fourteen and a half minutes long).

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:26 AM   #56
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
For those who are interested, Forgotten Weapons has a video on them (a bit over fourteen and a half minutes long).
"This thread has been sponsored by Gun Jesus".
Old 05-04-2020, 08:33 AM   #57
copeab

Quote:
"This thread has been sponsored by Gun Jesus".
What would you expect from a gun thread? :)

Old 05-04-2020, 09:54 PM   #58
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab View Post
... the Chassepot rifle ...
Can find stats for the Dreyse, but not the Chassepot.

EDIT: Gentlefolk of the Hivemind, thank you for your input and suggestions. I know that a lot of my responses have been predicated by my nascent setting's cultural constraints. I trust that there has been sufficient in this thread for any of you wishing to apply what has been discussed to other settings.

Ta muchly all.

Last edited by Luke Bunyip; 05-07-2020 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Thanks for all the fish
Luke Bunyip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:08 PM   #59
Keampe

I'm just gonna leave this one right here...

Forgotten weapons poacher guns

And for those with better facilities....

Forgotten weapons improvised and craft built guns

Just some thoughts.

- Shane
Keampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:29 PM   #60
Keampe

One other thought - cased ammo is easy to make. Making modern thin walled highly engineered casings is hard.

If you want to make a 9mm parabellum that fits into your Glock you'll have a hard time doing this, but if you are developing a gun from the ground up (like I think your Warlord is doing) then designing a straight walled cartridge with an inside diameter of your bore just requires some tubing and an end cap that you can just weld, solder or glue together. Especially true if you don't mind the cartridge weighing more that modern ones.

Primers are also not that hard - Mercury Fulminate and Lead Azide are not that hard to make. If your Warlord has a chemist, these can be made. They are less stable and not quite as good as modern primers, but they'll do the job.

If not, maybe you have access to batteries. In this case the primer can be replaced with steel wool or another filament and the trigger pull brings the leads from a battery into contact. Another way is to line the bottom of the cartridge with paper or thin plastic to cover the torch hole and replace the firing pin with a miniature soldering gun. A needle in the middle of a circuit would do. You would first flip the switch to "on" - thus this acts like the safety for the gun - then when the trigger is pulled the firing pin (now red hot) goes forward and punctures the paper or plastic on the bottom of the cartridge igniting the powder.

Just some thoughts.
- Shane
Keampe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ate, high-tech