Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 05-17-2021, 09:33 AM   #691
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

Getting distance from the circle is only partially effective: the demon is following, though the distance between them is dropping... how far is far enough?*

Please make a roll to keep the horses from spooking.

* It will take about four seconds for Peter to mount with his bruised foot, and a third to get away.

EDIT: I will address the comment about sharing the information after they've gotten away.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 05-17-2021 at 09:41 AM.
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:03 AM   #692
the_matrix_walker

If the demon is advancing faster than they are able to retreat, he'll immediately get on the horse. No point in waiting if he's losing ground.

OOC: Roll of 2+4+1=7
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 02:08 PM   #693
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

They keep the horses calm, and the distance between the horses and the demon slowly grows. Peter is able to get a stand of foliage between the two groups, and then they quickly mount the horses.

Anil is quiet for the first two minutes, and then he says "Thank you for finding my birthright. If it is my birthright. The creature wouldn't listen to me at all."

"I want to try and figure this out before telling the Mr. Pundell. This is, after all, my heritage, not his."

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 05-17-2021, 03:29 PM   #694
the_matrix_walker

Peter keeps his eyes on the span between them and the circle, carefully watching for movement.

"With that thing looking like it was spoiling for a fight, I thought about making another Karana to give it what it wants, but I was afraid we'd have two monsters to deal with... and if the first one wasn't under my control, no good reason to think another would. It might be a crazy idea, but we could try to get close enough again to see if you can control the smoke and form a Karana... if it does most of the work for you like the first one, maybe you can do it without practice. Could it be that you have to beat it to take control of this place, ya think? Of course, if it doesn't work the way we want, we could end up with two hostile demons..."
Old 05-18-2021, 10:30 AM   #695
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

"Perhaps we should come back with more people with weapons. The demons can be killed, its just difficult to do so. Though that didn't seem to be a highly skilled killer."

"I can certainly try to make a Karana. I hope the bloodline matters. That would be the easiest way. I'll want to do a little practice first though."

"So we return the camp, have me brush up on Karana, and then come back here tomorrow afternoon with some armed folks I trust and have me try to make a Karana for the demon to either control or have fight the other one. Does that sound right?"

Old 05-18-2021, 11:30 AM   #696
the_matrix_walker

"I feel really bad for making that first one... I'll follow your lead from here. I can show you what I've learned about making Karana, but the guys who play the game at the fire pit will be able to help too I think, I'm still pretty new at it.

Do you not trust Mr. Pundell? I keep thinking that the stone he has is important!
Old 05-18-2021, 02:57 PM   #697
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

"You made the Karana? You shaped that demon? what exactly happened? You do not seem like you did that intentionally."

"Which Karana practitioners would you consider discrete?"

"I don't know Mr. Pundell's motives in all of this. He's holding something back. Perhaps its that stone you keep talking about. He knows things I don't, and he's not sharing them with the expedition. I think he wants the ruins for himself. And he doesn't have to discover them himself to get them. If the expedition as a whole discovers the ruins, he can leverage his connections and my youthful stature to gain control over the ruins. I'm really here to control the damage. Until you showed up."

Old 05-18-2021, 03:09 PM   #698
the_matrix_walker

"I started trying to make something different, and the smoke had a mind of its own and turned it into the demon.

I have no idea how discrete they are, but they seemed happy to give me tips... If you are worried, I wouldn't tell them why you are learning, just tell them you want to try it.

If you think it will help you solidify your family claim, you can tell people you found it yourself without my help, I don't mind.
Old 05-19-2021, 07:51 AM   #699
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
"I started trying to make something different, and the smoke had a mind of its own and turned it into the demon.
"so you started it, but did not finish? interesting."

Quote:
I have no idea how discrete they are, but they seemed happy to give me tips... If you are worried, I wouldn't tell them why you are learning, just tell them you want to try it.
"That's good enough advice. I will do that. "

Quote:
If you think it will help you solidify your family claim, you can tell people you found it yourself without my help, I don't mind.
"Its not enough to have found the site: I need to control it or explain it in some way. We still have a lot of work to do. speaking of which: how are you with a gun?"

They get back around noon. Peter is given more typical work, mostly shoveling dung. Some of his fellow grooms ask him what Anil was up to.

What will he do that evening?

Old 05-19-2021, 10:56 AM   #700
the_matrix_walker

Since Peter was assigned to Anil for the day, he doesn't go back to work with the grooms, he sticks with Anil to help him learn Karana. They stop short of returning to the camp to build a fire and get him started.

(Noon seems a bit early for after 20 miles of travel through the jungle...)

Peter replies "I've practiced a little bit, but I haven't done a lot of shooting. I'm pretty good with a bow tho'."

In the evening, Peter will take Anil to the fire for more Karana tips and practice. When he goes to bed, he will concentrate and try and cast his dream sight back to the circle to see if the demon is still there. (Roll is a fail at 12, is a repeated attempt possible?)

Tags
lost in dreams