Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 02-15-2017, 10:19 AM   #631
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

The bread starts out good, but he ends up with mouthfuls of smoke much of the time. The blocks are interesting to play with -- does he try any special materials?

OCC: wow. What a thought.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:56 PM   #632
the_matrix_walker

He tries different food, trying to see if he can make different flavors and textures. He experiments with seeing if he can give them odors as well... He giggles a bit at the thought of one of those arena critters with a fart attack!

Once he gets bored with that, he tries to work on extending the time his constructs last.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:53 AM   #633
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Flavors and textures are interesting: it seems the more familiar he is with the effect, the closer he gets*.

Making things last is tricky, but he puts some good work into it, and he thinks he's making progress. After a while of doing it though, he starts struggling to get the smoke to hang together at all, though that which does hang together is sticking around longer.

How long will he do this for? and what will he do afterwards?

* if you want, give examples of stuff he does well and poorly at.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 04-12-2021, 05:13 PM   #634
the_matrix_walker

Peter concentrates and creates various foods he enjoys with varying success.

He tries to start with making bread and trying to smear it with imaginary peanut butter but his first few tries result in his bread vanishing before he can create the peanut butter, and once he finally manages it, the results are awful, and he's afraid he's going to choke himself with the thickness of his concotion until it begins smoking out of his mouth.

He can't remember the last time he had one ad tried to create himself a cheeseburger, and remembering the trouble he had with the bread, he attempted to create all the different layers at once, but again the results were disappointing. There was no separation between the pieces and it all had the same off-flavor and texture throughout. He tried making the ingredients one at a time, but the only thing that came out at all palatable was the tomato.

But the tomato was remarkably good. It wasn't perfect, but he was thinking about his uncle's Italian yellow tomatoes, and how being so near the ocean gave them this salty flavor that he just loved, and when he bit into his creation, he could almost believe it was the real thing.

As he continued to experiment, he found that his facsimiles of fruits were by far his best creations, and he was soon happily eating blueberries and strawberries and belching up smoke with giggles.

He would offer all of his creations to Goliath as well, and see if his more sensitive nose would go for it... he does love fruit!
Old 04-13-2021, 12:36 PM   #635
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Goliath sniffs the berries, then takes them into his mouth. When they vanish into smoke the dog wrinkles his nose, pulls back, and barks in excitement and confusion, smoke trailing from his mouth. He keeps eating them though, and the dog eventually becomes mostly accustomed to the experience.

How long will he do this? And what will he do afterwards?

Old 04-13-2021, 02:33 PM   #636
the_matrix_walker

Peter spends some time at the fire making smoke foods before getting bored with burping and starts to wipe his hands on his pants, only to realize there is no mess from smoke-fruit, but the idea of cleaning his hands makes him decide to try something a little different.

He imagines the hand soap squirting out of the pump at the sink and "pumps" it out of the smoke, he tries gathering it in his hands to see if he can blow soap bubbles with imaginary suds.

After about an hour of smoke-crafting and people watching, Peter will move off to the side of the encampment and train and play with Goliath for a bit. He's still keeping a lookout on the goings-on of the camp and getting a feel for this group. He's keeping an eye out for an "in" where someone is looking for a job to get done, or maybe for an opportunity to fill their bellies with some real food.
Old 04-14-2021, 02:22 PM   #637
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The smoke circles and moves similarly to the soap, but it never congeals into anything, merely pouring off of his hands. He's not sure if this is because he doesn't understand the soap, or if its something about the soap itself, or if its related to the way the smoke generally struggled to stick together after the first few minutes of smoke-crafting.

The camp is quite large: there are probably over 200 people here. The main activity seems to be making the camp more permenant: people are cutting down trees, setting up large and bulky canvas tents, digging holes, and setting up a few impromptu corrals for animals.

of course, a large camp is smaller than a small town, so Peter does eventually see everyone there. If he wants to help with a task, he most certainly can...

From some time back, and unresolved:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
He's going to go through the fool line and see if he gets away with it.

Peter sees a line of people waiting for food. He gets in it, and goliath dutifully waits behind him. He's there for a short while when someone says:

"Young Lad, who is your Father?"

The man is a tall lanky European with a large mustache but no beard. He's got vegetation all over his clothes, and a little dirt, but not much sweat. He's standing behind Peter.

Old 04-14-2021, 05:46 PM   #638
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
If he wants to help with a task, he most certainly can...
Peter will try and help with putting up tents and trying to figure out ways for Goliath to fetch stakes and pull lines to be useful (with varying degrees of success) but tries his best to be helpful and friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
"Young Lad, who is your Father?"
Peter says "I'm not that young, I'm almost 15." and turns to the man. His eyes brighten and widen at the sight of him. He flashes him a Disarming Smile and launches into a stream of speech...

"Wow! What great camo! Are you a ranger? That's like a hunter, plus, plus! I'm pretty good with a bow, need an assistant? My dad's name is David, but he's not here. He's not as outdoorsy as me and Goliath! We're here looking for work, aren't we boy?" prompting a hrumph of approval from the big dog. Goliath does a short hop with his front legs for emphasis that he knows to do in such circumstances.

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 04-14-2021 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:42 AM   #639
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Peter will try and help with putting up tents and trying to figure out ways for Goliath to fetch stakes and pull lines to be useful (with varying degrees of success) but tries his best to be helpful and friendly.
The men are quite grateful for an extra pair of hands setting up the tents. There is plenty of rope pulling, stake pounding, and post holding to do. The dog isn't terribly useful, but he does stay out of the way and harvest a large number of smiles.

Quote:
Peter says "I'm not that young, I'm almost 15." and turns to the man. His eyes brighten and widen at the sight of him. He flashes him a Disarming Smile and launches into a stream of speech...

"Wow! What great camo! Are you a ranger? That's like a hunter, plus, plus! I'm pretty good with a bow, need an assistant? My dad's name is David, but he's not here. He's not as outdoorsy as me and Goliath! We're here looking for work, aren't we boy?" prompting a hrumph of approval from the big dog. Goliath does a short hop with his front legs for emphasis that he knows to do in such circumstances.

"camo? In what way am I wearing a camus? I'm not a ranger, I'm an archeologist and scholar. I suppose I hunt, but I hunt old stones rather than beasts. I have plenty of assistants, I'm afraid. Do you not have an official role here yet? I'm not sure how you got all the way from Ladihr without one, but here you are. we did have an accident recently though: how are you with handling horses?"

Old 04-16-2021, 01:09 PM   #640
the_matrix_walker

"What's a 'camus'? I was 'camo', short for camouflage because you look like you would just disappear in the woods!"

Peter is excited by the mention of horses...

"I've ridden them a few times, but I've never trained one. I'm really good with animals and training dogs, look!"

With a gesture, Goliath spins around in a quick circle and sits up with his front paws in the air, and lets out a bark.

"I bet I could train horses too!"

As Peter waits for his food, if there are any items that are being kept hot, he will imagine making the smokey objects and see if he can make one out of steam...

Tags
lost in dreams