Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-27-2010, 11:16 AM   #1
Phaelen Bleux
World Traveler in Training

Default HALO Vehicles

UNSC M12 LRV "Warthog" (TL9)
The M12 uses 10.4 gallons of liquid hydrogen per hour at routine usage. A full tank of fuel costs $5.40. Ammo costs $15,000.

Subassemblies: Body +3, Open Mount -1 [Body:T]; 4 Off-Road Smartwheels +1.
Powertrain: 61-kW all-wheeled drivetrain with 61-kW HP MHD, 2,500-kWs rechargeable power cell.
Fuel: 54 gallons liquid hydrogen in a 54-gallon standard tank (Fire 11).
Occupancy: 1 XNCS, 1 XNPS, 1 XNPS (standing room)
Cargo: 4 cf.

Armor:
All: 4/100
OM: 4/100 F

Weaponry:
12.7mm 3-barrel Minigun/M41 Vulcan Chaingun [OM:F] (10,000 rounds.)

Equipment:
Body: Medium-range radio (1,000 miles); PESA (5-mile; +2/+4 Vision bonus), inertial navigation system, two crashwebs for sitting stations, hitch. OM: Full stabilization, universal mount, gun shield.

Statistics:
Size: 20'x10.5'x9.75' Payload: 1.57 tons Lwt.: 3.25 tons
Volume: 201 cf. Maint.: 50 hours Price: $159,941

HT: 12. HPs: 450 Body, 77 each Wheel, 13 OM.

gSpeed: 78 gAccel: 3.5 gDecel: 20 gMR: 1.5 gSR: 4
Ground Pressure High. ¼ Off-Road speed.

Design Notes:
Body is 125 cf; wheels are 25 cf, open mount is 1.65 cf. Structure is Heavy, Standard. Armor is Expensive Composite. Electronic Controls. Power plant kW was reverse-engineered from the given top speed (78 mph) and vehicle mass (3.25 tons). gSR was arbitrarily lowered by one to reflect the vehicle's tendency to flip. The power plant is supposed to run on 12 liters of water converted to hydrogen "on the fly." This amounts to 3.2 gallons of water, which would produce 5 gallons of liquid hydrogen (see p. VE71). This amount of fuel would last for only 30 minutes of drive time with the given powerplant. Thus, it was elected to simply choose a hydrogen fuel powerplant and hydrogen fuel tanks. Fuel capacity was estimated based on a rough calculation of the given range at cruising speed (30% top speed at 25% fuel consumption). The main armament is the TL7 GAU-19/A; no exact TL9 gun fit the bill, and the 12.7mm GAU-19/A was mentioned in the source material as the gun of inspiration in any event. The firing rate for the M41 was given as 450-500 or 900 rounds per minute; this equates to RoF 7.5-8.3 or 15. Suitable TL9 standard upgrades could include the caseless 12.7mm Heavy Chaingun (p. UTT51) or 3.8mm Gauss HMG (p. UTT53).

Variants:
The M12A1 LAAV (Light Anti-Armor Vehicle) sports a rear-mounted 102mm SC-HE rocket turret.
The M12G1 mounts the M68 Gauss cannon.
The M831 TT (Troop Transport) eliminates the support weapon in favor of four side-facing passenger seats. It can carry up to seven marines.
The M864 A is camouflaged and outfitted for arctic expeditions (enclosed passenger compartment and treads in place of wheels).
The M868 T is camouflaged and outfitted for tropical expeditions.
The M914 RV (Recovery Vehicle) is a faster, stripped down version of the Warthog built for troop and equipment recovery. It is equipped with a towing winch and heavy-duty motor and gear system.
The "Hog" or Yellow Warthog is a civilian version. A flatbed version features no seating or weaponry in the rear.
The Warthog APC is used by the United Rebel Front. It is a M12 modified to include a heavily armored passenger section capable of carrying troops and supplies.

M274 ULATV Mongoose (TL9)
The vehicle is designed at TL9. It burns 1.1 gallons of hydrogen per hour at routine usage. A full tank of fuel costs $1.10.

Subassemblies: Body +0, 4 wheels -3.
Powertrain: 6-kW Standard MHD Turbine with 6-kW All-Wheeled drivetrain, 900-kWs rechargeable power cell.
Fuel: 11 gallons liquid hydrogen in a Standard fuel tank (Fire 11).
Occupancy: 1 Cycle CS, 1 Cycle PS
Cargo: 0 cf.

Armor
All: 4/25

Equipment:
None.

Statistics:
Size: ? Payload: 0.2 tons Lwt.: 0.45 tons
Volume: 4 cf. Maint.: 338 hours Price: $3,493

HT: 12. HPs: 79 Body, 14 each Wheel.

gSpeed: 60 gAccel: 3 gDecel: 15 gMR: 1.25 gSR: 2
Ground Pressure High. ¼ Off-Road speed.

Design Notes:
Body is 3.25 cf; wheels are 0.65 cf. Structure is Extra Heavy, Very Cheap It has improved brakes. Armor is Cheap Metal. Electronic controls. Empty weight is 821 lbs. Design gSpeed was 58 mph; design loaded weight was 903 lbs. (over by 1%). The "historical" values for speed and weight are shown above. gSR was arbitrarily lowered by one to reflect the vehicle's tendency to flip.
This design ended up very light. Because I used a Component First design path, the body volume ended up being very small, and so the frame and armor were used to consume a lot of the needed weight. I could have arbitrarily added empty space to the frame, but in the end I decided that the SM was about right for a motorcycle/ATV, and increasing size to decrease the need for a heavier frame would only balance out in the end in terms of HP (but halve DR, although I could choose a lighter material and maintain the above value). Finally, given that this is a military recon vehicle, a heavy, durable ATV able to take a lot of abuse was essentially correct anyhow. In GURPS, just as in HALO, if you want to disable the vehicle, shoot the driver.
Similarly, the design originally featured improved suspension and smartwheels. I stripped the suspension to make the vehicle more unstable (as it is in the game), and ultimately decided that the UNSC was going for a very cheap vehicle, so I lowered price by almost 30% by using normal wheels. Players wishing to upgrade their vehicle would do well to simply add those features to the design. Improved suspension increases gSpeed to 66mph, adds +1 to gSR, +0.25 to gMR and costs $450. Smartwheels add +5 to gDecel, +0.25 to gMR, and cost $2,000.

http://aerodrome.hamish.tripod.com
Phaelen Bleux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:19 AM   #2
Phaelen Bleux

Default HALO Vehicles 2

AV-14 Hornet VTOL
The AV-14 burns 52 gallons of liquid hydrogen per hour of routine usage. A full tank of fuel costs $20. A full load-out of munitions costs $4,200. Prism reloads are $80 (for four).

Subassemblies: Body +2, two Engine Pods +1; two CAR rotors +0, two Skids +1.
Powertrain: Two 250-kW HP MHD with two 250-kW CAR rotor drivetrains, 2,300-kWs Rechargeable Power Cell.
Fuel: 200 gallons H2 (Fire 13) in Standard Self-Sealing tank [Pods] (Fire -3).
Occupancy: 1 NCS, 4 ESPS.
Cargo: 0 lbs.

Armor: 4/25 overall (Radiation PF 2)

Equipment:
Body: 2x Long-range radios with scramblers (10,000-mile); autopilot; navigation instruments; military GPS; IFF; thermograph (10-mile); HUDWAC with pupil scanner; advanced radar detector; digital recon camera; small dedicated targeting computer (Complexity 3) with Targeting programs (Complexity 1); IR jammer (-3); 10x LLTV; electronic controls; 1-man/day limited life support system; NBC kit; crashweb; two decoy dischargers with two Prism reloads, universal mounts and full stabilization for miniguns.

Weaponry:
2x 3-barrel Miniguns [Pods:F] (2,500 rounds Solid each).*
2x 60mm Mini Launchers [Body:F] (2 60mm Lt. SRGM missiles).
*Linked.

Statistics:
Size: ? Payload: 5.18 tons Lwt.: 9.99 tons
Volume: 325 cf Maint.: 32 hours Price: $381,924

HT: 11. HPs: 138 Body, 141 each Rotor, 44 each Skid, 61 each Engine Pod.

aSpeed: 192 aAccel: 3 aDecel: 32 aMR: 8 aSR: 5
Stall speed 0. -7 aSpeed per Exposed Passenger.

Design Notes:
Body is 60 cf; pods are 50 cf, rotor is 12 cf; skids are 30 cf. Structure is Medium, Standard with Fair streamlining. Armor is Standard Composite. Electronic controls. Sealed. Empty Weight is 2,416 lbs.
The skids use ½ of a Standing Exposed Passenger station for each soldier they are meant to support. The "wings" were treated as pods and provide no lift in the design. A Combat Helicopter Package (p. VL27) was used to select the electronics to be included and then upgraded to TL9. The miniguns are TL7 GAU-19/As (p. VL23); the missile launchers are TL9 (p. VE44).

Old 01-27-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Default Re: HALO Vehicles

Threads merged as there doesn't really need to be multiple separate threads for what is essentially just episodes in the same story.
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
Phaelen Bleux

Sorry! Thought there was too much text for 1 post (I remembered having that problem before).

Old 01-27-2010, 03:27 PM   #5
Ubiquitous

Reading the Warthog thing...did I read it right when you said it had the SM of an ATV or Motorcycle?

It's 5-6 feet high and almost 15-20 long, if I recall flipping the stupid thing correctly; that sounds a bit bigger. Or is the SM for the ATV and Motorcycle kinda a lump-sum deal with the SMs in the same ballpark?
Ubiquitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:12 PM   #6
Phaelen Bleux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubiquitous View Post
Reading the Warthog thing...did I read it right when you said it had the SM of an ATV or Motorcycle?

It's 5-6 feet high and almost 15-20 long, if I recall flipping the stupid thing correctly; that sounds a bit bigger. Or is the SM for the ATV and Motorcycle kinda a lump-sum deal with the SMs in the same ballpark?
The Warthog is SM +3, the Mongoose is SM +0. That should be about right for a car in the case of the Warthog. . .

Old 01-27-2010, 06:48 PM   #7
Ubiquitous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaelen Bleux View Post
The Warthog is SM +3, the Mongoose is SM +0. That should be about right for a car in the case of the Warthog. . .
Oooh, alright. Yeah, SM +3 would cover it (SM +4 maybe, but I think that's like, a small cabin in size. Maybe too extreme).

I only brought it up because the way I read it it looked like SM 0 for the Warthog and...yeah...

EDIT: Oh, since we're getting all the details out of these little write-up things, did you happen to catch the caliber of the UNSC chainguns? Was it .50 or no?
Old 01-27-2010, 09:22 PM   #8
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubiquitous View Post
Oooh, alright. Yeah, SM +3 would cover it (SM +4 maybe, but I think that's like, a small cabin in size. Maybe too extreme).

I only brought it up because the way I read it it looked like SM 0 for the Warthog and...yeah...

EDIT: Oh, since we're getting all the details out of these little write-up things, did you happen to catch the caliber of the UNSC chainguns? Was it .50 or no?
Yeah it's a 12.7mm chaingun on the original warthog.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:39 PM   #9
Ubiquitous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm View Post
Yeah it's a 12.7mm chaingun on the original warthog.
Eyyy, thanks.

Tags
3rd edition, halo, vehicles