Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-07-2021, 08:45 PM   #21
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: How should i run monsters?

Pretty much, use DR or Injury Tolerance if you want to reduce damage from a source.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:40 PM   #22
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I would generally start out the characters with a few barroom brawls (or the like), with enemies who really do want to avoid killing the characters. For example, have them deal with a common room of brawling soldiers. Just give the soldiers ST 12, DX 12, IQ 10, HT 12, Brawling-14, and Wrestling-12 (they will likely not be using their weapons or armor in a barroom brawl, so they can be ignored). They will have Punch-14 (1d-1 crushing damage) and Kick-12 (1d+1 crushing damage because of boots), and they will stop hitting anyone who falls down and will leave if they fall below HP/2 (it is all in fun, after all), and will have two parris at Parry-11.
Pretty flash soldiers, and pro-brawlers (probably have spent most of their life in the pub...). Anyway, you've got their damage too low: it should be 1d for the punch, and 1d+2 for the kick. I assume you forgot the bonus from a high Brawling skill.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:23 PM   #23
AlexanderHowl

Brawling gives a maximum of +1 at DX+2. At ST 12, you do 1d-1 thrusting. Punches get -1 damage, reducing it to 1d-2, but the Brawling damage bonus bumps it back up to 1d-1 crushing. Kicking would be unmodified damage, +1 for Brawling and +1 for boots, so the final damage is 1d+1 crushing.

Professional solders will likely have Brawling at a minimum of DX+2, as they will have fought in a number of situations where killing people would be frowned upon (or outright illegal). Anyway, it is better than nothing when your weapon breaks or when you are grappling an enemy and need to knee them in the groin. Amateur brawlers can develop that level after around a decade of drinking (which is why going into a strange bar without any friends was often a bad idea before the contemporary era).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 01:41 AM   #24
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Professional solders will likely have Brawling at a minimum of DX+2, as they will have fought in a number of situations where killing people would be frowned upon (or outright illegal).
I don't think there are very many situations where professional soldiers are expected to use unarmed combat skills while on-duty. MPs, sure, but most soldiers aren't MPs.

They still get training in it, and an extracurricular interest in brawling is probably not unusual...
Old 02-08-2021, 04:02 AM   #25
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
They still get training in it, and an extracurricular interest in brawling is probably not unusual...
I think the main reason that soldiers get training in unarmed combat is to encourage them to be aggressive.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 04:32 AM   #26
Rupert

Quote:
Brawling gives a maximum of +1 at DX+2. At ST 12, you do 1d-1 thrusting. Punches get -1 damage, reducing it to 1d-2, but the Brawling damage bonus bumps it back up to 1d-1 crushing. Kicking would be unmodified damage, +1 for Brawling and +1 for boots, so the final damage is 1d+1 crushing.
You are correct. For some unknown reason I kept reading that stats as ST14...

Quote:
Professional solders will likely have Brawling at a minimum of DX+2, as they will have fought in a number of situations where killing people would be frowned upon (or outright illegal).
For that work historically soldiers have used clubs and the butts of spears and rifles.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 05:25 AM   #27
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
That pretty much doesn't do anything. Resistant does not block damage, it assists in passing resistance rolls.
Ah I was reading "immune" as the way GURPS uses it not as it is generally used.

Quote:
Pretty much, use DR or Injury Tolerance if you want to reduce damage from a source.
That still wouldn't result in something being "immune" (take no damage at all) from fire.

For that Magery (racial -40%) Resist Fire-20 works better. Throw in Mana Enhancer 2 so the ability works in No mana.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:58 AM   #28
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
It can indeed, but if time is short, their disadvantages and quirks are often the most important thing for playing them. Those shape their behaviour and reactions.
Even then, a clear description of their behavior is probably more useful application of effort than figuring out whether that behavior is better modeled with Vow (Kill all the things) or Compulsive Behavior (Murder).
Old 02-08-2021, 09:45 AM   #29
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
That still wouldn't result in something being "immune" (take no damage at all) from fire.
It would if you have enough to fully block the damage of the strongest possible fire. Which is the canonical solution to this problem, for all that it's a bit awkward.
Old 02-08-2021, 11:26 AM   #30
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
It would if you have enough to fully block the damage of the strongest possible fire. Which is the canonical solution to this problem, for all that it's a bit awkward.
FIrst, given how flexible GURPS is I wouldn't say there is a "canonical solution" to any problem.

Second, Armor Divisor effectively kicks the idea of loading up on DR in the head. Allowing this to have enough DR withstand 6dx10(3) burn at maximum damage (180) is kind of ridiculous.

Besides Magery (racial -40%) Resist Fire-20 is "canonal" as well (Racially Innate Spells under Racial Magic, B453)
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new gm, opponents