Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-28-2016, 11:58 PM   #1
hoganbball23

Default Assassins going after player characters how to?

Hi all. In my upcoming fantasy campaign the players will have a chance to engage in a month of training time to join a racially diverse adventurers supergroup. As part of the training they will have assassins come after them of steadily increasing skill. The assassins aren't actually tryong to kill them, just to leave their trademark on them. My question is how to do this? In general I let players roll their own perceptions but asking players to role a perception for no apparent reason is often a good way to wreck the meta of what they were doing. Any thoughts?

Also I assume for my assassins I would role stealth and then pickpocket to give them the mark. Yes?
hoganbball23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:07 AM   #2
Leynok

Default Re: Assassins going after player characters how to?

My group also likes to let the players roll their own Per instead of the GM doing it all behind the scenes. First, don't let the players know there is anyone after them, unless the Character themselves know (in which case then them on the lookout for assassins makes sense). Second, find creative other uses for Per rolls, to notice something interesting in the area for instance, make the rolls feel like something they would have rolled even if there wasn't an assassin after them. Third, if they are actively on the lookout for the assassins occasionally make fakeout Per rolls, ask them to roll Per for things that are otherwise meaningless, this keeps them on the edge and always second guessing if their roll was good enough, or if there was anything to see.
Leynok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:08 AM   #3
DanHoward

Start with harmless prank-traps:

A bag of flour that drops from an ajar door on their heads.
A dye in their drink that stains lips/teeth a bright colour.
A harmless snake or spider in their bedding
A tripwire that activates a loud noisemaker
A candle or lamp that emits a noxous smell when lit

When they are good and paranoid, get some suspicious-looking people to follow the PCs around town for a few days but not actually do anything.

Mechanics-wise, the GM has to roll Perception if you don't want to spoil the mood. I roll all the time, even while talking, so the players have no idea which rolls count and which just are me fiddling with the dice.

Last edited by DanHoward; 03-29-2016 at 12:22 AM.
DanHoward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:47 AM   #4
(E)

Another one to mess with players is the "make a roll" then follow it with how well the character has handled the effects of the emetic or laxative the assassins spiked their food with.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:26 AM   #5
Boomerang

The other suggestions are good, all I would like to add is: I like shared rolls for perception.

The player rolls two dice and the GM rolls the third. The player will have an idea of how perceptive they are (which I believe is realistic) but they won't know for sure.
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:28 AM   #6
Wavefunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
The other suggestions are good, all I would like to add is: I like shared rolls for perception.

The player rolls two dice and the GM rolls the third. The player will have an idea of how perceptive they are (which I believe is realistic) but they won't know for sure.
That's a fascinating idea...

Of course you still have the problem that if you ask a player to roll Per, even if they fail you let them know that there was something to be seen in the first place, which puts them on guard. Even if they're really good at not letting out of game info impact their in game performance you still changed the atmosphere for the player.

Which brings me to my next point, sometimes I will make a player roll Per, simply to generate that change in atmosphere, when a feeling of tension is more valuable to me than the player being unaware of any potential threat.
Wavefunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:42 AM   #7
Maz

I have used Passive Perception in the past, (from D&D 4e/5e).

Instead of having the players roll a Perception check, I let the assassin take a penalty to their stealth equal to the targets Per-10.

So someone with Perception 14 have a -4 to attempt to use stealth around them.

This way only I, the GM have to roll. However I also use it for when PC's sneak up on NPC's.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:15 AM   #8
whswhs

I just about always have players roll Per for their characters. But one trick I use, which you may find helpful, is that sometimes, if a player rolls Per, and succeeds, I take them out of the room and privately tell them what they've just noticed, while the other players wonder what's going on. And then I take them back in and either ask them what their character is doing, or tell the other players what they perceive the character doing.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:14 AM   #9
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoganbball23 View Post
Hi all. In my upcoming fantasy campaign the players will have a chance to engage in a month of training time to join a racially diverse adventurers supergroup. As part of the training they will have assassins come after them of steadily increasing skill. The assassins aren't actually tryong to kill them, just to leave their trademark on them. My question is how to do this? In general I let players roll their own perceptions but asking players to role a perception for no apparent reason is often a good way to wreck the meta of what they were doing. Any thoughts?
One good technique is to ask the players for a sense roll whenever they seem too relaxed, are getting distracted with side chat, etc. Most of the time it is nothing, sometimes it is a chance to spot the ninjas getting ready to burst through the paper windowpane. I also rolled most things like that myself.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:17 AM   #10
Curmudgeon

A method I've used with success is to have the players make and record a number of rolls (minimum two dozen) and record them on a 3 x 5 index card with the player's name on top. As a situation requiring a perception or other secret roll comes up, I consult the cards, determine whether the player's roll failed or succeeded and cross that roll off. When all the rolls have been used (or sometimes when I'm down to the last half-dozen), I have the players make and record more die rolls.

My players have been happy with the process as they still make the die rolls but don't gain a "what did I miss?" effect and don't have to waste time on false rolls, which is good since making die rolls momentarily takes the player out of character.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote