Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-30-2014, 08:32 PM   #1
Winters

Default [Supers] Making a Marvel-616 Asgardian archer

Hey guys,

I'm helping a friend make an Asgardian character for a supers game themed on the Marvel-616 universe. The Marvel wikia has been very helpful in providing a lot of the stats to work from and I'm pretty happy with it so far, but the strength has me stuck.

Please forgive my ramblings; I want to explain my thought process!

The Marvel wikia mentions that a typical Asgardian guy can lift (press) about 30 tons (short, not metric) under optimal conditions; to be able to do this without too much trouble the character would need ST! 193, but we can infer from the use of the word 'optimal' that ST! 150 is more appropriate, and the Lifting skill can be used to make up the difference

Given how tough Asgardians are meant to be, it might be appropriate to actually buy ST 150 and get the extra HP, but that's a bit expensive.

Instead, let's use Super-Effort:
  • ST+11/+150 (Super-Effort, +300%) [440]
I don't want him to have expend fatigue all the time. I know that there is a rule in Supers that allows you to remove the fatigue cost, but I'm not sure how to add it. Do I add Cosmic and Reduced Fatigue Cost to the ST itself, or to the Super-Effort modifier?
  • ST+11/+150 (Cosmic: Can Take Reduced Fatigue Cost, +50%; Reduced Fatigue Cost, +20%; Super-Effort, +300%) [517]
    or
  • ST+11/+150 (Super-Effort (Cosmic: Can Take Reduced Fatigue Cost, +50%; Reduced Fatigue Cost, +20%), +510%) [671]
Sorry if that's a really dumb question, but it seems to me that it's not the ST itself that costs fatigue, but the Super-Effort modifier, and thus that's the bit that needs to be altered.

Anyway, next question: what's the best way to handle weapons for very high ST characters? In this particular case, he'd like to use a bow and carry an Asgardian shortsword (both presumably made from some nice Asgardian materials), thus they should be appropriate for a race of very strong people.

On first glance, a bow could have it's ST value set as normal and derive it's damage in the usual manner, but I'm worried that may be a trap and that I might have missed something.

As for a shortsword, I looked up PK's rules for heavier weapons and gave it a go, but I felt that the shortsword didn't end up doing as much damage as I would have expected (maybe I did the math wrong through!).

Would it be easier to just make the weapons as Innate Attacks with Accessibility requirements? Is it okay to just raise the ST value of a weapon, provided that it comes from Asgard?

Thanks in advance!
Winters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asgard, asgardians, marvel, supers