Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 05:36 PM   #11
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: [OOC] Monster Mash

Would something like the Svartálfar or Dvergar from Norse mythology be acceptable? Although they are technically elves and dwarves, respectively, they are rather distinct from that depicted in certain fantasy rpgs.
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:58 PM   #12
ErhnamDJ
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: OK
Default Re: [OOC] Monster Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Would something like the Svartálfar or Dvergar from Norse mythology be acceptable? Although they are technically elves and dwarves, respectively, they are rather distinct from that depicted in certain fantasy rpgs.
Those were actually exactly what I was thinking of when I mentioned elves and dwarves. Tolkien did those in. And those are more fairy tale creatures than monsters. And we've all played those characters in a hundred different games. They don't inspire stilted dialog in all they meet like The Creature From The Black Lagoon. Crazy old bats don't come out of the woodworks to hunt them down.

I'm looking for monsters. Something a 1930's studio bigwig would consider scary, not something he'd put in a Coca-Cola commercial.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #13
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: [OOC] Monster Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDJ View Post
Those were actually exactly what I was thinking of when I mentioned elves and dwarves. Tolkien did those in. And those are more fairy tale creatures than monsters. And we've all played those characters in a hundred different games. They don't inspire stilted dialog in all they meet like The Creature From The Black Lagoon. Crazy old bats don't come out of the woodworks to hunt them down.

I'm looking for monsters. Something a 1930's studio bigwig would consider scary, not something he'd put in a Coca-Cola commercial.
Fair enough. I'm having trouble thinking of something that fits in with that mindset that I would want to play, so perhaps I'll sit this one out. Best of luck with the game.
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:01 PM   #14
ErhnamDJ
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: OK
Default Re: [OOC] Monster Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Fair enough. I'm having trouble thinking of something that fits in with that mindset that I would want to play, so perhaps I'll sit this one out. Best of luck with the game.
Okay :)

Feel free to post anything else you think of, though, if something comes to mind.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:23 AM   #15
vitruvian
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: [OOC] Monster Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDJ View Post
One more thing: nothing too human. I am willing to make exceptions. A nine foot tall giant is out. A cyclops... probably out too.
This bit puzzles me... vampires are very human in appearance, wolfmen are human most of the time, the Invisible Man is a human, albeit a crazy invisible one. This would also let out Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde.

And here I was going to suggest Chick Young or Wilbur Grey types with a lot of Luck and Serendipity...
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:04 PM   #16
ErhnamDJ
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: OK
Default Re: [OOC] Monster Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
This bit puzzles me... vampires are very human in appearance, wolfmen are human most of the time, the Invisible Man is a human, albeit a crazy invisible one. This would also let out Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde.
Right you are. I need to make up some sort of explanation here.

I'm having a wee bit of trouble doing so.

With the movie monsters, they have a defined set of qualities that make them monstrous.

They have special rules that govern their existence. Dracula can do all sorts of vampire stuff, and he has special rules for killing him.

The wolf man can only be killed by silver, and the moon has something to do with his abilities.

Frankenstein's monster... just look at him.

The mummy is a mummy. There's all sorts of magic involved. Or something.

My primary concern here is that each character have a set of tropes available that easily defines them as being monsters. That can either be because of some set of attributes they possess (being a giant fish-man) or because they've entered the collective consciousness as such (the wolf-man).

Maybe I should have given out a list of acceptable 'monsters' to choose from. Or made my criteria something along the lines of 'can reasonably be expected to be seen chilling out at Dracula's castle.' Something like that.

Quote:
And here I was going to suggest Chick Young or Wilbur Grey types with a lot of Luck and Serendipity...
Sorry. I don't know who those are.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:10 PM   #17
vitruvian
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: [OOC] Monster Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDJ View Post
Maybe I should have given out a list of acceptable 'monsters' to choose from. Or made my criteria something along the lines of 'can reasonably be expected to be seen chilling out at Dracula's castle.' Something like that.



Sorry. I don't know who those are.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbott_...t_Frankenstein
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:19 PM   #18
ErhnamDJ
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: OK
Default Re: [OOC] Monster Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
I'll do some investigating. Maybe I can come up with a copy of the film.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:07 PM   #19
vitruvian
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: [OOC] Monster Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDJ View Post
I'll do some investigating. Maybe I can come up with a copy of the film.
Don't bother if you don't feel like it... it was more of a joke than anything else. I'd probably be more interested in playing the Golem, although I'm undecided between the 1915 and 1920 German version or the 1936 French version.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:12 PM   #20
ErhnamDJ
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: OK
Default Re: [OOC] Monster Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
Don't bother if you don't feel like it.
No, I want to see it. Had been meaning to, actually. It's just always slipped my mind. Besides, I know one of those guys that owns every DVD ever.

Quote:
I'd probably be more interested in playing the Golem, although I'm undecided between the 1915 and 1920 German version or the 1936 French version.
There's some more I need to watch :)

Last edited by ErhnamDJ; 09-12-2010 at 09:47 AM.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.