Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 01:32 PM   #681
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)
 
Mark Skarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Somewhere high up.
Default Re: Art for games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
I'd make the distinction between twigs vs slender at where the knees on your models look thicker than their thighs, that makes them too skinny, or they have knobby knees.

Which they don't btw, nice knees, they just need at least another inch around the thighs and biceps, and a half as much on the calves and forearms. Jillian's feet are thicker than her calves and as thick as her thighs. Jillian's wrists are as thick as her biceps, she looks like she'd have trouble leveling that shotgun since she has the arms of a six year old.
Jillian, a test, fresh out of LUX, was always intended to be skinny. Not quite emaciated, but getting there.

Aurora, after 12 hours became the final version as when I networked MonkeyFist's computer with mine, it went all pear-shaped.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:02 PM   #682
Bruno
 
Bruno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Canada
Default Re: Art for games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
Aurora, after 12 hours became the final version as when I networked MonkeyFist's computer with mine, it went all pear-shaped.
I've heard about that on one of the Reality threads at DAZ 3D. I can't find the post now, but IIRC it has to do with a memory or network problem on the secondary PC resulting in not all of the textures transferring.

Does MonkeyFist's computer have as much RAM as your main PC, and did it have as much free? If so, I'd squint suspiciously at the network connection. Check the log file for error messages.

Unfortunately, once one of the two computers has bad data, the swapping back and forth means bad data gets integrated into the main render and it's all FUBAR. As you've found out.
__________________
All about Size Modifier; Unified Hit Location Table
A Wiki for my F2F Group
A neglected GURPS blog
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:29 PM   #683
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)
 
Mark Skarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Somewhere high up.
Default Re: Art for games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I've heard about that on one of the Reality threads at DAZ 3D. I can't find the post now, but IIRC it has to do with a memory or network problem on the secondary PC resulting in not all of the textures transferring.

Does MonkeyFist's computer have as much RAM as your main PC, and did it have as much free? If so, I'd squint suspiciously at the network connection. Check the log file for error messages.
He and I have identical computers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Unfortunately, once one of the two computers has bad data, the swapping back and forth means bad data gets integrated into the main render and it's all FUBAR. As you've found out.
Yeah, bummer. I'll have to re-do that render from the start. And take a look at our network.

Well, I did have a new image of Jillian, but Photobucket decided it violated their terms of service. So, I don't have it posted anymore.

Last edited by Mark Skarr; 12-03-2010 at 12:46 PM. Reason: To remove a broken link.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:41 AM   #684
Bruno
 
Bruno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Canada
Default Re: Art for games

Another thing that occured to me - does the secondary machine have enough harddrive space for all the images? Does it have write permission to the LUX directory? The LUX directory is where all the files go temporarily.
__________________
All about Size Modifier; Unified Hit Location Table
A Wiki for my F2F Group
A neglected GURPS blog
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #685
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)
 
Mark Skarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Somewhere high up.
Default Re: Art for games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Another thing that occured to me - does the secondary machine have enough harddrive space for all the images? Does it have write permission to the LUX directory? The LUX directory is where all the files go temporarily.
That could be it. I don't think it does. I'll have to share that directory on his computer and give it another try.

Here's an updated Pink after 9.5 hours in the rendering engine. It's only at 741 S/px. But, I turned the 5 fluorescent tubes in the scene into lights, so I could get the lighting shades.

And, apparently, that image of Jillian violated Photobucket's Terms of Service . . . though I can't imagine why. It's not the most risqué picture I have in there.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:14 PM   #686
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)
 
Mark Skarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Somewhere high up.
Default Re: Art for games

Well, I went back and changed a few things on Pink's picture. This is after about 18 hours of rendering at 1,520 S/px.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:36 PM   #687
robkelk
Untitled
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: between keyboard and chair
Default Re: Art for games

Hope this isn't too off-topic for this thread - if it is, my apologies.

I'm just starting to play with DAZ Studio. I've found this page of public-domain 3D NASA models. I want to use this one as a background element in an image. It doesn't have an auto-installer. Anybody know how to load it into DAZ Studio? (For that matter, can I load it into DAZ Studio?)
__________________
Rob Kelk
“Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.”
– Bernard Baruch,
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:42 PM   #688
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)
 
Mark Skarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Somewhere high up.
Default Re: Art for games

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
Hope this isn't too off-topic for this thread - if it is, my apologies.
At one point I had a thread in the Network section for DAZ help, but it's gone now, due to being so old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
I'm just starting to play with DAZ Studio. I've found this page of public-domain 3D NASA models. I want to use this one as a background element in an image. It doesn't have an auto-installer. Anybody know how to load it into DAZ Studio? (For that matter, can I load it into DAZ Studio?)
I was afraid of that. It's a 3DS file, so it's for 3D Studio Max. DAZ can't load it. I was looking to see if I could fake it through an import, but no such luck. I also couldn't find you a free shuttle anywhere else. Vanishing Point has one that's soon to be released at Renderosity, but I don't know what they're going to charge for it.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:52 AM   #689
RogerBW
 
RogerBW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: near London, UK
Default Re: Art for games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
I was afraid of that. It's a 3DS file, so it's for 3D Studio Max. DAZ can't load it.
Being painstakingly fair, 3DS format was for 3D Studio (pre-Max), and is supported by pretty much every 3D modeller I've used; I'm very surprised any modern software can't handle it. (As opposed to MAX format, which is a whole different game.)

What can DAZ load? I might well be able to convert it.
RogerBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #690
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)
 
Mark Skarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Somewhere high up.
Default Re: Art for games

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
What can DAZ load? I might well be able to convert it.
It'll handle BioVision, Collada, Poser and Wavefront objects.

Here's the import list:
.bvh; .dae; .pz3; .pz2; .cr2; .lt2; .cm2; .pp2; .fc2; .hd2; .hr2; .pzz; .p2z; .crz; .ltz; .cmz; .ppz; .fcz; .hdz; .hrz; .obj; .obz
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
art

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.