Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-30-2023, 04:23 PM   #1
Dammann

Default Gen Con and GURPS?

I had the fortune to play DFRPG at Gen Con a few years back with Kromm. It started an annual tradition for me and my partner, but GURPS is never really represented in games or at the trade show.

I am curious whether it is ok to get an event (game) listed for players at Gen Con. I don’t think I’d want to do it this year, anyway, but my perception is that SJG is more cautious about how they are presented than the many, many D20 games out there. I want to promote GURPS, enjoy it with others, and see it in the world, but I also don’t want to violate any policy against it.

What’s the attitude toward Gen Con GURPS games? I’m happy to declare “I am just this guy who likes this game, not a canonized GURPS representative (MiB?) or anything.”
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 03:56 PM   #2
mburr0003

Default Re: Gen Con and GURPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammann View Post
What’s the attitude toward Gen Con GURPS games? I’m happy to declare “I am just this guy who likes this game, not a canonized GURPS representative (MiB?) or anything.”
As far as I understand it, as long as you're not trying to pass yourself off as a representative of SJG, just run a GURPS game and have fun.

I've run and played in lots of GURPS games at cons over the years and SJG's black helicopters have never come for me.

Hang on, a group of blackclad paramilitary types just burst through the windows...
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 06:03 PM   #3
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburr0003 View Post
Hang on, a group of blackclad paramilitary types just burst through the windows...
Just toss your handy copy of Tactical Shooting in their direction. You'll then have plenty of time to escape while they recover. (It's tactical!)
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 08:10 AM   #4
Rolando

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburr0003 View Post

I've run and played in lots of GURPS games at cons over the years and SJG's black helicopters have never come for me.
They did, don't worry nor try to remember, everything will be fine.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 07:32 PM   #5
Nose66

Nick Coffin and I are hoping to run a few sessions at this years Gen Con. We just represent ourselves... and will be trying to show off the game of GURPS.
Nose66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 08:00 PM   #6
InexplicableVic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose66 View Post
Nick Coffin and I are hoping to run a few sessions at this years Gen Con. We just represent ourselves... and will be trying to show off the game of GURPS.
Pretty cool, man! I've never been out there, probably can't do it this year. Maybe one day in the future. My son has run a number of DFRPG games at small conventions (since he was one of the authors of Crypt of Krysuvik, he runs that "tournament-style" which is basically the last part of the adventure...no spoilers. I haven't even gotten a chance to run through it yet, but it is "on our list").
InexplicableVic is offline   Reply With Quote