Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2020, 11:28 AM   #151
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
hmm... That is indeed what you said. I read it wrong.

You will need to hit each of the breakfast, lunch, and dinner cooks in the hours when they are on duty rather than at night.

We can apply the failed roll to a table buddy or to a pair of chefs. you can choose.
Let's say a table buddy, I'll hit the chefs separately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Daymar was also on deck 19 when this all went down. What will he do when the fire alarms go off?
We haven't got there yet, but if there's gambling to be had, that's where Daymar will be. When the alarms go off, assuming Pothi is with him, he'll say, "Let's see if they need a hand dealing with this!" If possible, he'll get one of the firefighting suits, but if not he'll be content helping out however he can, possibly using Suggestion to steer anyone who looks to be trying to save the flour to another task.
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 01:57 PM   #152
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I'll try to get assigned to moving things, based on being in transportation.

Is there anything inconspicuous I can do to try and help things along?

No vehicles are handy (And they are mostly stored 16 floors up), and there is a lot of stuff to move. Hua gets in moving things (that are not food) away from the fire rapidly. Not too rapidly though: she doesn't want to draw too much attention. She ends up moving a lot of laser cartridges, which are large, heavy, and you do not want to drop and break, along with a decent number of Hydrogen bricks.

Quote:
Let's say a table buddy, I'll hit the chefs separately.
ok, he won't be able to hit all 6 people at the table: in fact he only gets one, and his moment is in front of four who have not been effected. I'll need some sort of roll to defuse/pass over the weird situation (the momentary wrath and the sudden tiredness)

Quote:
If possible, he'll get one of the firefighting suits
Roll against spacer. DX based or Per-based if you want to.

Daymar suddenly realizes he has a real stake in the fire: one of the plasma emmiters he and Pothi maintains is just as close to the fire as the flour! Its going to be in really bad shape afterwards, and he'll end up working extra because of it!

Diagram of the Fire on deck 19.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:13 PM   #153
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
ok, he won't be able to hit all 6 people at the table: in fact he only gets one, and his moment is in front of four who have not been effected. I'll need some sort of roll to defuse/pass over the weird situation (the momentary wrath and the sudden tiredness)
Day will try Fast-Talk to defuse the situation. "Did I touch a nerve with my fortune telling? I guess I'm out of practice, maybe I'll call it a night." He plays it off as embarrassment, and retreats to his bunk. OOC: So he only affected one tablemate? Who did he affect with the three prior successes (by 7, 10 (critical success) and 6)?

[98] 20-09-26 00:07:32 CEST

Fast-Talk to defuse the situation from the failed Mental Surgery

3d6 <= 14
5 + 1 + 4 = 10 ... success

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Roll against spacer. DX based or Per-based if you want to.

Daymar suddenly realizes he has a real stake in the fire: one of the plasma emmiters he and Pothi maintains is just as close to the fire as the flour! Its going to be in really bad shape afterwards, and he'll end up working extra because of it!
[99] 20-09-26 00:09:00 CEST

Spacer

3d6 <= 16
4 + 5 + 5 = 14 ... success

It's a success, if not a great one. Not wanting to put in extra work on the plasma emitters is excellent motivation to try to combat the blaze!
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:01 AM   #154
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Day will try Fast-Talk to defuse the situation. "Did I touch a nerve with my fortune telling? I guess I'm out of practice, maybe I'll call it a night." He plays it off as embarrassment, and retreats to his bunk. OOC: So he only affected one tablemate? Who did he affect with the three prior successes (by 7, 10 (critical success) and 6)?
The Two dinner cooks and one table mate.

Quote:
It's a success, if not a great one. Not wanting to put in extra work on the plasma emitters is excellent motivation to try to combat the blaze!
Its not enough of a success to get a suit.

Daymar goes to the food reclamation area to help move food that isn't flour. The items are trickling through an impromptu emergency airlock over a hatch, so movement is slow and no one is prioritizing flour... yet.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:59 PM   #155
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
you need to hit 6 cooks: you've made those rolls, though two haven't been processed yet. You also need to effect around 6 fellows eating with you-- the ship's quarters are cramped, and they sit 8 to a table most of the time. Pothi and you are of course already accounted for.

skin contact doesn't need to be rolled for, but the mental surgery rolls really do: its dangerous to do, but yields potentially large rewards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The Two dinner cooks and one table mate.
Okay, so Day has succeeded with 2 of the 6 cooks and 1 of 6 tablemates. Over Wednesday and Thursday, he tries to get the other 9 at opportune moments, preferably when there are few witnesses around.

[100] 20-09-26 20:57:36 CEST

Mental Surgery for cooks and table-mates, same delusions as before.

3d6 <= 16
1: 2 + 4 + 1 = 7 ... success
2: 1 + 5 + 2 = 8 ... success
3: 5 + 5 + 1 = 11 ... success
4: 2 + 5 + 2 = 9 ... success
5: 2 + 2 + 3 = 7 ... success
6: 3 + 5 + 3 = 11 ... success
7: 4 + 5 + 6 = 15 ... success
8: 6 + 6 + 1 = 13 ... success
9: 6 + 4 + 3 = 13 ... success

The first six attempts are pretty good, with margins of success of between 5 and 9, the last three not so much, which means he may need to take other measures to deal with discovery.
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:36 PM   #156
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
She ends up moving a lot of laser cartridges, which are large, heavy, and you do not want to drop and break
What kind of "don't want to drop and break"? Blow your shins off or douse yourself in gasoline?
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:20 AM   #157
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Okay, so Day has succeeded with 2 of the 6 cooks and 1 of 6 tablemates. Over Wednesday and Thursday, he tries to get the other 9 at opportune moments, preferably when there are few witnesses around.

The first six attempts are pretty good, with margins of success of between 5 and 9, the last three not so much, which means he may need to take other measures to deal with discovery.

Daymar works through his list of targets fairly quickly, and while some of the rewriting makes him nervous, none of his subjects resist again, nor suspect what's going on. Day has fashioned a small psi-suppressant-free pocket for himself.

OCC: the dice settled down and decided to give you an easy time of things, a muted mirror of your highs and lows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
What kind of "don't want to drop and break"? Blow your shins off or douse yourself in gasoline?
Bad chemical burns plus extremely flammable, so similar to gasoline, but slightly worse because of the chemical burns.


Do either of you have significant actions to take before the night of fires, umm, "progresses"?
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:21 AM   #158
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Do either of you have significant actions to take before the night of fires, umm, "progresses"?
If I could "Jenga" the laser cartridges such that the next person to take one would cause a collapse, then maybe, but probably not.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:00 AM   #159
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
If I could "Jenga" the laser cartridges such that the next person to take one would cause a collapse, then maybe, but probably not.

That's possible... but not without making yourself look either like an idiot or guilty.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:21 AM   #160
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Daymar works through his list of targets fairly quickly, and while some of the rewriting makes him nervous, none of his subjects resist again, nor suspect what's going on. Day has fashioned a small psi-suppressant-free pocket for himself.

OCC: the dice settled down and decided to give you an easy time of things, a muted mirror of your highs and lows.
Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Do either of you have significant actions to take before the night of fires, umm, "progresses"?
No, Day is content, for the moment, with the progress he's made. Knowing that Hua was planning the fire, he will wait until they meet up to plan his next steps.
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.