Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-10-2021, 01:18 PM   #41
Farmer

Default Re: Don't cats do damage?

A video many have probably seen, but it's reasonably illustrate how a cat that is really trying to attack will try to get it's back claws into the action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1k4wNXfDB8

As Varyon says, that's what they practice when playing (and with our cat, I can put my ugg-booted foot in to play and she'll go for it with her back legs - it's how they kill prey.

My wife knows all too well that if those rear claws extend, they can leave deep wounds. She was holding our cat 10 or so years ago when the cat was startled by a loud noise and leapt from my wife, rear claws out for traction. Took about 7 years for the scar on my wife's chest to disappear and that was a single movement.
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 03:03 PM   #42
RGTraynor

Actually, in college I had a friend who'd rescue alley cats (this being in Boston). She'd dragoon me into helping more than once, but anyway. Her first rescue was a mean ol' alley cat she named Itzhak. Most of the time Itz was alright -- he taught me a lot about how to move around skittish cats -- but every now and then ...

Anyway, Tena and I were up close and personal with Itz, not even touching him, but within inches. And out of nowhere Itz lashed out at her, something of a lightning strike. Far too fast for us to react, and we weren't prepared for it in any event. If Tena hadn't been wearing glasses, Itz would have bid fair to taking her eye out.

"Call me old-fashioned, but after you're dead, I don't think you should be entitled to a Dodge any more." - my wife

It's not that I don't understand what you're saying. It's that I disagree with what you're saying.
RGTraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 04:41 PM   #43
Plane

There basically seems less reason to use stuff like AOA:strong or mighty blows for +damage if you'll usually inflict it via the "minimum 1" in most cases, better to opt for Defensive Attack
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 06:34 PM   #44
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
There basically seems less reason to use stuff like AOA:strong or mighty blows for +damage if you'll usually inflict it via the "minimum 1" in most cases, better to opt for Defensive Attack
Against an unarmored target, AoA:double pretty much always outperforms AoA:Strong (the only exception is crushing attacks of 1d6-3 or less).
Old 11-12-2021, 01:11 PM   #45
Flyndaran
Untagged

In my limited experience with cats that were attacking with intent to injure and escape no holding back... they all went Barry Allen in speed. It truly is amazing just how fast some can slash, literally faster than I could blink.
Old 11-13-2021, 04:41 AM   #46
Anders

Cats are the DF Martial Artists of the animal world.

Author of Winged Folk.

The GURPS Discord. Drop by and say hi!
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 04:10 AM   #47
Racer

Dare I mention Pinky The Cat of YouTube fame ?

UK's Channel 4 / E4 repeat the pet episode of Rude Tube the other night
.. 8-O
Think the pet shelter officer's vital bits/tender bits or upper inner thigh experienced significant damage ...
Alex Zane's commentary on this clip is absolutely hilarious :-D

( I won't be posting any links : original clip contains the 'b' word & Rude Tube version has lots of swears , so be warned )

Seem to recall a semi stray cat severing a tendon on Episide of Judge Judy ? Plaintiff sued one of the two ladies that had been feeding it . Other (elderly) lady had died & obviously couldn't be sued . I missed conclusion of case - basically a neighboring women had the cat fall on her out of a tree & claw & bite her all over - so I can't recall injures or locations on body . Severed tendon & skin/hair were peeled of scalf IIRC ?
Big medical bills anyway .
#OuchAndDoubleOuch
Old 11-18-2021, 11:05 AM   #48
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
A video many have probably seen, but it's reasonably illustrate how a cat that is really trying to attack will try to get it's back claws into the action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1k4wNXfDB8
I hadn't seen that video; interesting.

I don't know if the family had that cat from a kitten, or what the cats it was raised with were like, etc. So I admit I'm largely speaking in ignorance.

But having raised and trained cats and dogs, many of the assumptions in the comments are I believe incorrect. For one thing, if that dog was not in its own territory (which I'm almost certain it wasn't) and had not already interacted with that boy, its behavior would be quite odd. But that's assuming that boy hadn't just hurt that dog or at least "invaded" its territory. It's possible that dog had been trained to attack, and trained poorly. But my suspicion is the boy had just done something to that dog, which very likely included having just gone into its territory.

In any case, the dog almost certainly knew it was not in its own territory when it bit the boy, which is why it ran away from the cat instead of attacking back.

My suspicion is that the cat was female and wasn't protecting her "owners," as many commenters posted, but her "kitten." That fits both her behavior with the dog, and how she interacts after that in the video when the boy touches her--she's reacting much like a mother to a kitten that's slightly annoying her. I believe she was also protecting her territory. The video doesn't show it, but I suspect once she chased the dog off from her territory, she stopped chasing it, watched it for a bit, then returned to her territory.

Most cats have an extremely strong sense of territory. I once had a cat that I only fed in the kitchen. I used to have fun taking one step into the kitchen, and hearing the cat yowl for food. One step out, it ignored me. One step in, it yowled. Etc. (When I did that I fed it of course--in the kitchen.)
Pyramid #4/4: Fantasy/Magic II! Add Sparkle To Your GURPS Game.
Top 12 Clues You're a Role-Playing Old-Timer My humorous (I hope) article that also promotes SJGames/GURPS
GURPS Fantasy Folk: Elves My first GURPS supplement

Last edited by Alden Loveshade; 11-18-2021 at 12:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 01:13 PM   #49
Farmer

Yeah, I tend to agree the cat is protecting its territory and possibly the child it sees as its kitten. The rest, no idea - as you say, speculative as we don't have the details, but it makes sense.

I posted mainly for the display of the cat trying to involve it's back legs in the "attack", which are far more powerful and indicate an attempt to genuinely injure.
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bite, cat, kick, thrust damage