Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-08-2021, 10:10 AM   #31
Alden Loveshade

Default Re: Don't cats do damage?

As I've worked with hundreds of cats, I was hoping to come on here and wow everyone with my feline facts. But you all beat me to it!

Seriously, there's the factor that I don't believe I've ever had a cat try to attack me more than once or twice during the same incidence. Cats generally give a warning, and typically only attack a relatively large opponent when necessary. So in real life a cat doing 10 points in damage is extremely unlikely to happen.

And cat scratch disease is a real thing. When I've worked with animals I didn't know, I had hand sanitizer within a few feet of me. GURPS is realistic that you can catch something even with 0 points of damage (I once didn't sanitize an iguana bite because it caused no bleeding, and had an iguana-mouth shaped infection for a few days).

As for the 1 point minimum for cutting and impaling attacks by standard GURPS rules, I admit I get Third and Fourth Edition rules mixed up in my head. I often have to look things up to see which is which. Anybody have a handy page number for the Fourth Edition rule that successful cutting and impaling attacks do a minimum of 1 point of damage?
Pyramid #4/4: Fantasy/Magic II! Add Sparkle To Your GURPS Game.
Top 12 Clues You're a Role-Playing Old-Timer My humorous (I hope) article that also promotes SJGames/GURPS
GURPS Fantasy Folk: Elves My first GURPS supplement
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 10:16 AM   #32
Tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden Loveshade View Post
As for the 1 point minimum for cutting and impaling attacks by standard GURPS rules, I admit I get Third and Fourth Edition rules mixed up in my head. I often have to look things up to see which is which. Anybody have a handy page number for the Fourth Edition rule that successful cutting and impaling attacks do a minimum of 1 point of damage?
Basic Book p.378
DAMAGE ROLL
You usually make your own damage
rolls, and the GM rolls for NPCs.
Damage rolls are expressed as a number
of dice, sometimes with a modifier;
e.g., “6d-1” or “1d+2.” A negative
modifier can’t reduce damage below 0
if the attack does crushing damage, or
below 1 if it does any other type of
damage.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 12:47 PM   #33
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
Basic Book p.378
DAMAGE ROLL
You usually make your own damage
rolls, and the GM rolls for NPCs.
Damage rolls are expressed as a number
of dice, sometimes with a modifier;
e.g., “6d-1” or “1d+2.” A negative
modifier can’t reduce damage below 0
if the attack does crushing damage, or
below 1 if it does any other type of
damage.
Thanks for that! I had done a quick search, but was looking for phrases like "cutting damage," "impaling damage," "minimum damage."
Pyramid #4/4: Fantasy/Magic II! Add Sparkle To Your GURPS Game.
Top 12 Clues You're a Role-Playing Old-Timer My humorous (I hope) article that also promotes SJGames/GURPS
GURPS Fantasy Folk: Elves My first GURPS supplement
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 05:11 PM   #34
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky View Post
This means that it has a 2 in 3 or 5 in 6 chance, respectively, of doing no damage at all, even if it hits.
Actually because Basic Damage for all but Crushing Damage is a minimum of 1, the issue is moreso that cats do too much damage.

I'd be fine using 0.1 as the minimum amount for non-crush attacks and find some other system that gives us variable decile amounts, but it's extra-crunchy.

I was thinking a non-charty means of calculating thrust from ST, like STd/10
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 11:16 PM   #35
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Actually because Basic Damage for all but Crushing Damage is a minimum of 1, the issue is moreso that cats do too much damage.
I don't know... But as always, in GURPS, things become more realistic when you play them more realistically.

As said by Alden Loveshade and others above, when fighting something big, a cat usually strikes once and then flees.

1 or 2 points of damage is realistic then. That hurts but as soon as you apply first aid, it disappears.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 02:54 PM   #36
fredtheobviouspseudonym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden Loveshade View Post
. . .And cat scratch disease is a real thing. When I've worked with animals I didn't know, I had hand sanitizer within a few feet of me. GURPS is realistic that you can catch something even with 0 points of damage (I once didn't sanitize an iguana bite because it caused no bleeding, and had an iguana-mouth shaped infection for a few days).
Friend of mine got bitten badly on the hand by a friend's cat. Got infected.

After a couple of days, the infection was worse, so she went to the ER. Medical types there said "another 24 hours, you'd have lost your arm." So in a medieval setting, ol' Moggy could wrack up a body count.
fredtheobviouspseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 04:19 PM   #37
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtheobviouspseudonym View Post
Friend of mine got bitten badly on the hand by a friend's cat. Got infected.

After a couple of days, the infection was worse, so she went to the ER. Medical types there said "another 24 hours, you'd have lost your arm." So in a medieval setting, ol' Moggy could wrack up a body count.
I was vaguely aware of that, but not at that level. So, the D&D meme of cats killing commoners has a basis in fact. Interesting.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 06:06 PM   #38
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
I was vaguely aware of that, but not at that level. So, the D&D meme of cats killing commoners has a basis in fact. Interesting.
I mean, anything that can cause a dirty puncture wound is a potentially-lethal threat without near-modern medicine. Lotta people died of Tetanus back in the day, in addition to your more 'basic' wound infections.
Old 11-09-2021, 09:46 PM   #39
Mark Caliber

During slow news days in the very distant past . . .

I've read of a handful (possibly up to three) incidents where domestic cats have killed burglars during night time break in's.

No details, other than the fact that Law Enforcement suspect that the cats snuck up on their victims and attacked (decisively).

Being newspapers, they didn't publish any details on how a lowly house cat took out an unsuspecting burglar.

I suspect some sort of a vital wound and possibly a lot of bleeding.

And perhaps some luck.

Related (but separate) I met a Bobcat/Feral cross breed who was social enough to beg and the blasted tom delighted in drawing blood!

In order for me to try to 'safely' interact with this large house cat, I found it necessary to don my heavy leather work gloves (DR2) and that made it impossible for that cat to inflict any damage.

That angered him quite a bit and since he couldn't bully me anymore, he took off and I never saw him again.

Not even the promise of food would entice him to return.
Old 11-10-2021, 09:16 AM   #40
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Caliber View Post
Being newspapers, they didn't publish any details on how a lowly house cat took out an unsuspecting burglar.

I suspect some sort of a vital wound and possibly a lot of bleeding.

And perhaps some luck.
When I was younger, I used to volunteer at a local no-kill, non-profit animal shelter. When there wasn't a lot else to do, I would sometimes spend some time in the Cat Room, to help socialize the cats. Some of them found it great fun to grab my hand or elbows with their front legs to grapple it, then just absolutely go to town with their hindlegs on my arm. As they were playing, they generally didn't even draw blood, but after something like that I looked like I'd tried to kill myself for a few hours with a dull knife.

A cat that was seriously trying to cause as much damage as possible, who did something like that, I feel would have a decent chance of cutting into an artery. Alternatively, they might be able to do something similar to the neck while grappling the skull. Either way, I could absolutely see a sufficiently-large - and sufficiently-angry - cat managing to kill a burglar like that, particularly if their blood vessels happened to be closer to the surface than average (I know alcohol can cause such an effect, and wouldn't be surprised if there were other recreational drugs that did so).

Tags
bite, cat, kick, thrust damage