Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-06-2021, 10:45 AM   #21
Gollum

Default Re: Don't cats do damage?

To summarize what have been said above, but not necessarily put together, and to see if I really understood everything well enough, 1d-6 and 1d-5 first appear to be no damage but…
  1. These are cutting damage, which means minimum 1 point (x1,5, it is still 1).
  2. 10 blows like that and an average man risks to fall unconscious. It may sound harsh for a mere cat, but we must remember that these cute pets rarely scratch their beloved master to really harm them. Even when they are frightened or when they suffer pain, they usually pay attention to avoid doing too much harm to us (their attack are more warnings than true attacks). Here, we are talking about a cat who fight to death!
  3. We also must take into account that all-out attack (strong) is always an option, especially if the cat is angry. Then, she inflicts 1d-4 or 1d-3, which means up to 4 points of damage in only one blow (after applying the x1.5 damage modifier). And that is probably what cats do when they want to kill a mouse or when they have to fight against something like a dangerous rat.

Several other thinks have not yet been said (sorry for the repetition if they have)…

Cats’ favorite targets when dealing with a big animal (maybe a man, but more often a dog) are eyes and nose. With 1 to 4 points of damage, they can easily blind their victim or inflict a wound that hurts enough to trigger a HT roll to avoid a knock down and stunning.

Finally, for animals in combat (not only cats), there is an awesome article in Pyramid, Combat II (issue #3/111, January ’18), pages 26-29: Animal Combat Styles by Rory Fansler. I warmly recommend it to all those who want to make their attacking animal NPC much more living and memorable.

Last edited by Gollum; 11-06-2021 at 10:51 AM.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 11:04 AM   #22
kenclary

Also worth noting that it's common advice to have wild animals (or perhaps most animals) always use AoA or AoD.
kenclary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 12:10 PM   #23
Pursuivant

Remember that cat bites are notorious for causing infected wounds (about 30-40% chance vs. about half that rate for dogs) and claw attacks can also become septic. Additionally, symptoms of infection from a cat bite typically start to show in just 4-12 hours.

The way that GURPS works, 1 HP of damage from an untreated cat bite/claw attack could represent effects of the attack itself plus minor toxic damage from quickly multiplying infectious bacteria.

Bandaging to remove that 1 HP of "potential" damage means flushing the wounds with antiseptic or clean water, or just encouraging minor puncture wounds to bleed in order to carry infectious material away from the wound and allow the body's white blood cells to do their good work.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 12:21 PM   #24
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenclary View Post
Also worth noting that it's common advice to have wild animals (or perhaps most animals) always use AoA or AoD.
Small, fast animals like cats facing large predators like humans will typically do AoD, possibly with Acrobatic Dodge, followed by an attempt to Evade.

Arboreal critters like cats & squirrels will have Skill Adaptation (Acrobatic Dodge based on Climbing or Jumping) which allows them to use Acrobatic Dodge by jumping onto foes or climbing convenient nearby objects on their way out.
Old 11-06-2021, 05:01 PM   #25
RGTraynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
After that, we would occasionally encounter kobold villages with vegetable gardens in which Brussels sprouts featured prominently, and usually prepped molotov cocktails.

Alright, but here's what I really want to know: how much damage does a housecat that's been force fed Brussels sprouts inflict?

"Call me old-fashioned, but after you're dead, I don't think you should be entitled to a Dodge any more." - my wife

It's not that I don't understand what you're saying. It's that I disagree with what you're saying.
RGTraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 06:08 PM   #26
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTraynor View Post
Alright, but here's what I really want to know: how much damage does a housecat that's been force fed Brussels sprouts inflict?
During the feeding, or during the subsequent barfing?

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 01:42 AM   #27
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTraynor View Post
The same. But flatulences does count as major distraction for the foe.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 08:22 AM   #28
quarkstomper

I used to play in a CHAMPIONS group years ago when I lived in Darkest Iowa. In situations where an NPC's attack did high damage, but the PC's defenses were strong enough that none of it got through, our GM used to say: "You take no damage... but it STILL HURTS!"
Old 11-07-2021, 06:44 PM   #29
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
During the feeding, or during the subsequent barfing?
I'd go with the latter, at least in the financial sense. Cats seem to have a perverse gift for puking on fragile or expensive things like antique rugs or delicate electronics.
Old 11-08-2021, 04:56 AM   #30
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
I'd go with the latter, at least in the financial sense. Cats seem to have a perverse gift for puking on fragile or expensive things like antique rugs or delicate electronics.
"I call myself Hairball. My scientist father injected me with feline DNA and gave me the power of super-barfing."

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bite, cat, kick, thrust damage