Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-04-2021, 11:34 AM   #11
Phantasm

Default Re: Don't cats do damage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
The solution is simple. Stop sending housecats to attack the PCs!
But what if I want to make them question whether it's an Earth housecat ... or a Flerken? :)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 12:50 PM   #12
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
But what if I want to make them question whether it's an Earth housecat ... or a Flerken? :)
Or you're playing GURPS Deathworlders, and someone is playing a non-Deathworlder and encounters a Gricka. The Deathworlders setting is certainly something that would call for better resolution, seeing as most of the aliens have quite low ST.
Old 11-04-2021, 01:04 PM   #13
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
That cat probably wasn't actively trying to kill you, it was just lodging a complaint to the management.
Yeah, cats can and if provoked will inflict a lot of very superficial scratches to get a message across. In some cases the surrounding social messaging is extremely obvious, in other cases it might not be.
Old 11-04-2021, 07:06 PM   #14
fchase8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
This was the content I read this thread for...
fchase8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 07:05 AM   #15
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
But yes, GURPS damage scale is focused primarily on human size vs human size combat with numbers at a scale that's easy for most people to comprehend at a glance. Which obviously breaks things when you scale one party down a lot.

DF Fairies cause similar issues in damage calculations.
Frankly, it becomes a minor issue if you're trying to do something like dungeon fantasy kobolds, with ST down in the 6-7 region, let alone less; you wind up with a lot of 1 point scratches and not much else, even there, and more to the point, half-decent full body armour is going to let humans wade through them with an air of disdain.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 07:08 AM   #16
Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
Frankly, it becomes a minor issue if you're trying to do something like dungeon fantasy kobolds, with ST down in the 6-7 region, let alone less; you wind up with a lot of 1 point scratches and not much else, even there, and more to the point, half-decent full body armour is going to let humans wade through them with an air of disdain.
But some of them might attack vitals in torso and get lucky or AoA extra damage or make a crit.
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 07:13 AM   #17
Phil Masters

An occasionally puncture air of disdain. Very occasionally.

They probably do better to try various sorts of grapple or whatever, and maybe GURPS needs a note somewhere on what's involved in wrestling a helmet off someone, but still, the poor things will have a tough time of it. (Yes, they should be relying on traps and incendiaries.)
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 02:00 PM   #18
mr beer

Quote:
I give them spears. ST 7 goes to 1d impaling and has Reach allowing many attacks from the kobold swarm. Then combine with Targeting unarmoured areas or going AO Extra Damage. Yeah 250 CP Delvers will just wade through them but then they should.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 02:13 PM   #19
Anthony

Quote:
This has more to do with unrealistic coverage levels for armor than tiny people being actually able to penetrate armor, though. Targeting weak points in armor shouldn't be a -8 to halve DR.
Old 11-05-2021, 02:41 PM   #20
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr beer View Post
I give them spears. ST 7 goes to 1d impaling and has Reach allowing many attacks from the kobold swarm. Then combine with Targeting unarmoured areas or going AO Extra Damage. Yeah 250 CP Delvers will just wade through them but then they should.
In an old "house-rule" AD&D campaign run by a friend of mine, kobolds kept boiled Brussels sprouts on cords around their necks. When things inevitably started to turn against them, the kobolds would pop the sprouts into their mouths, and bite down.

And promptly go screaming berzerk.

The first time we encountered this ghastly phenomenon, we barely escaped with our lives.

In response to our shocked and appalled inquiries, Andy grinned and said, "Have you ever tried to get a little kid to eat Brussels sprouts?"

After that, we would occasionally encounter kobold villages with vegetable gardens in which Brussels sprouts featured prominently, and usually prepped molotov cocktails.

Lot's of 'em.

Last edited by tshiggins; 11-05-2021 at 02:44 PM.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bite, cat, kick, thrust damage