Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 06-21-2019, 12:59 PM   #1
MikMod

Default Defending - on behalf of someone else?

Skarg: "non-polearm friends of a ranged weapon user could also defend the ranged weapon user before the polearm charge if they are in reach and have higher DX"

If I read this rightly, the implication is that some bystanders can somehow defend someone standing next to them against an attack, even if they themselves are not the target? Is that a house rule, or something I haven't picked up on because I use ITL and not Melee?
MikMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 12:00 AM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: Defending - on behalf of someone else?

No, I meant defend the friend by attacking the foe charging the friend.

But, if could be a house rule. You can do it in GURPS, but GURPS has active defenses where it makes more sense.

As a house rule, I might want it not to be as effective as someone actually defending themself. Such as giving a -2 to hit someone who's being defended by someone else.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:41 AM   #3
larsdangly

I'm not aware of any provision in TFT for having your defensive capabilities (shield protection, Defend action) applied to another figure. I feel like the level of granularity in TFT handles this issue through movement and engagement. If you want to defend a friend, then put yourself between them and their foe and do your thing, or 'distract' them by placing yourself in such a way that this foe needs to turn toward you instead of your friend. If you can't manage either of those things, then you failed to defend your friend.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:57 AM   #4
Tywyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I'm not aware of any provision in TFT for having your defensive capabilities (shield protection, Defend action) applied to another figure. I feel like the level of granularity in TFT handles this issue through movement and engagement. If you want to defend a friend, then put yourself between them and their foe and do your thing, or 'distract' them by placing yourself in such a way that this foe needs to turn toward you instead of your friend. If you can't manage either of those things, then you failed to defend your friend.
I think you are right, though I would love a 'Bodyguard' talent that lets you interpose yourself for an adjacent ally or something. Some ability that lets you push a friend out of the way or literally stand in the way (something the rules don't allow since you can't move through occupied hexes).
Tywyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:43 AM   #5
RobW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tywyll View Post
I would love a 'Bodyguard' talent that lets you interpose yourself for an adjacent ally or something.
A related idea is a "shield wall" talent, been suggested a few times around here, where your shield benefits adjacent allies (in some way).
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:03 AM   #6
MikMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tywyll View Post
I think you are right, though I would love a 'Bodyguard' talent that lets you interpose yourself for an adjacent ally or something. Some ability that lets you push a friend out of the way or literally stand in the way (something the rules don't allow since you can't move through occupied hexes).
Kind of a reverse shield-charge against someone who isn't resisting?

Combined with a sort of anti-dodge, where you WANT to be hit!
Old 06-24-2019, 08:54 AM   #7
kjamma4

Where you have to roll to miss the defender in order to actually hit your target?
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:42 AM   #8
MikMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
Where you have to roll to miss the defender in order to actually hit your target?
Yup, on 4D. Maybe 5D if you have 'Expert Bodyguard'

;)

Bodyguard. IQ 9 (1). Ability to shield rush a friend to the ground, or back one hex so that you can stand between them and a foe. If protecting against a ranged attack, you may try to 'catch the projectile' forcing the attacker to roll on 4d vs DX to miss you.

Expert Bodyguard. IQ 11 (2pts). As Bodyguard except ranged attackers must roll 5D to miss you, and you can defend against melee attacks on behalf of your VIP as long as you are adjacent to your VIP and the attacker. Includes the uncanny ability to produce a freshly pressed black suit under any circumstances.

Master Bodyguard. IQ 12 (1). Able to detect unusual movement in crowds and identify weapons concealed under clothing on 3D vs IQ. Gets +1 to initiative rolls. Has a 'sixth sense' which may, on 4d vs IQ, give a single turn of warning before a surprise attack.

Last edited by MikMod; 06-24-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:31 AM   #9
Tywyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMod View Post
Yup, on 4D. Maybe 5D if you have 'Expert Bodyguard'

;)

Bodyguard. IQ 9 (1). Ability to shield rush a friend to the ground, or back one hex so that you can stand between them and a foe. If protecting against a ranged attack, you may try to 'catch the projectile' forcing the attacker to roll on 4d vs DX to miss you.

Expert Bodyguard. IQ 11 (2pts). As Bodyguard except ranged attackers must roll 5D to miss you, and you can defend against melee attacks on behalf of your VIP as long as you are adjacent to your VIP and the attacker. Includes the uncanny ability to produce a freshly pressed black suit under any circumstances.

Master Bodyguard. IQ 12 (1). Able to detect unusual movement in crowds and identify weapons concealed under clothing on 3D vs IQ. Gets +1 to initiative rolls. Has a 'sixth sense' which may, on 4d vs IQ, give a single turn of warning before a surprise attack.
These are a really good start but how do they work with the combat round? Are they your action? Do you declare them ahead of time? Can you still attack while bodyguarding?
Tywyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:06 AM   #10
Axly Suregrip

Several different points to make:

- In response to Skarg saying the shieldman will attack first: With a pole arm charge, even if you want to attack the pole man to save your archer, the charge goes first regardless of DX (unless the shieldman also has a pole arm).

- if you want to defend archers, you merely need to stand in front of them and engage foes before they get to the archer. Your presence and front hexes block movement. No new talent needed.

- if you want to protect someone from archery by being in between, you may be better off dodging. If the enemy archer tries to miss you, and fails the roll (which is harder when you dodge) you do not get hit. Rolling to miss a foe fails results in the projectile hitting the ground. Rolling to miss a friend fails results in the friend getting hit. The dodging back fires if they instead try to hit you. In any case, by dodging you may pick off the first arrow.
Axly Suregrip is online now   Reply With Quote