Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-01-2018, 11:25 AM   #11
GlennDoren

Default Re: TFT Map Maker

What dev platform/framework are you using for this? Nice work, btw :)
GlennDoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:32 AM   #12
GlennDoren

I may have overlooked it, but I quickly found myself wishing for an erase/clear function (per hex, not the whole map), and also would be great to have some basic map items like doors, objects/chests, maybe a way to add notes/comments... I'm sure there will be many more ideas as people play with it.

And yes, I realize this is a POC, but I'm guessing you'll continue to add functionality based upon your interest in the game and fan response :)
Old 09-01-2018, 11:48 AM   #13
larsdangly

There is an erase function; you just replace a hex with a clear one.

I agree that the coolest next step would be to add features like traps, etc. Perhaps a nice place to start would be to replicate all the mapping icons and functions from ITL, which I always really liked.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:26 PM   #14
GlennDoren

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
There is an erase function; you just replace a hex with a clear one.

I agree that the coolest next step would be to add features like traps, etc. Perhaps a nice place to start would be to replicate all the mapping icons and functions from ITL, which I always really liked.
Maybe early morning blindness. Didn’t see a clear hex anywhere. Will check again when I’m at my laptop.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:27 PM   #15
GlennDoren

Being able to print in 1.5” scale would be golden.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:05 PM   #16
Shadekeep

Woo, go away for a weekend and the comments stack up! ^_^

I'm so glad folks are finding this useful, and I definitely plan to put more work into it. One thing that struck me is that it would be useful to have a "monochrome" mode, where you could build maps in pure black-and-white. I'd need to look into adding crosshatching and textures to the materials in order to differentiate them in that mode.

Now on to some of the questions, and sorry if I missed any. If I did, please ask again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
This looks very promising. Would it be possible to have icons or images for map features such as; mountains, castles, rivers etc.
Yes, I have latitude for adding symbol sets. Right now it's geared towards building dungeons, but I do want it to support large-scale overland maps as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherro View Post
I quickly found myself wanting the two missing “bulk” tiles. And then the rotations of the half-hex tiles. I wonder if it would be better to be able to separately select a rotation instead of having to have up to six copies of each type.
That's a really good idea. I probably could build in rotation instead of hardcoding six versions of everything. I'll put that on the research list as well, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennDoren View Post
What dev platform/framework are you using for this? Nice work, btw :)
Thank you. Right now it's purely in Javascript, with the HTML5 Canvas component doing all the graphical heavy lifting. I'm toying with putting it inside of a PHP framework. That would allow me to build it more intelligently, and would make it a doddle for folks to save their maps online with a simple account, since database integration in PHP is so easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennDoren View Post
I may have overlooked it, but I quickly found myself wishing for an erase/clear function (per hex, not the whole map)
It's mixed in with the hex brushes, which in hindsight isn't the most intuitive thing I could have done. It's the Eraser brush next to the Whole brush. It removes all the Components on the active Layer (Ground/Wall). There is no partial erase feature, so it's all-or-nothing right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Another good suggestion, and I'll do some more research in my old ITL copy for the iconography.

Thanks again to everyone who has tried it out and posted feedback! I'd love to make this a truly useful tool for TFT GMs.

Last edited by Shadekeep; 09-02-2018 at 04:07 PM. Reason: typo
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:29 PM   #17
Leonidas
Banned

Very nice tool. Great work!
Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:21 AM   #18
zot

Nice job, dude!
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:03 AM   #19
tomc

Great tool! Thanks for doing all that work!

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:06 AM   #20
Shadekeep

Thanks again for the comments! I've pushed out an update with the following changes:
  • The cursor now shows the current hex you are painting with.
  • There is one level of Undo, it undoes the most recent paint operation.
  • As suggested, I've added the remaining hex rotations and replaced the crowded buttons with a single button for each type. There are new buttons for Rotate Right, Rotate Left, and Flip, which allow you to rotate any of the basic shapes instead.
  • I rearranged the buttons slightly, moving Clear Map back up with the basic paint options.

More changes ahead, including symbology hexes for Dungeon and Terrain maps.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote