Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 10-08-2021, 11:10 AM   #1
Magesmiley

Default [Rules] Mines

So... the rules for mines (Dropped Weapons Pack, back of rules page) seem like they might need some clarification on what takes the penalties when another car or obstacle is pushed into a mine.

For example, if my car pushes an obstacle into a mine, clearly my move ends. However does my car take the damage/control/fire effects? Or should the obstacle? Keep in mind that my car doesn't have a side touching the mine and that the control loss doesn't indicate a side of the car touching, but that damage and fire do.

What about if it is another car that is getting pushed instead of an obstacle that can take damage? Who takes the mine effects? (And don't forget that this could be a pile-up.)

The example indicates that it is the car that hit the mine takes the effect, although the section above doesn't actually say that. Which suggests that the one doing the pushing doesn't take any penalty when this occurs, but it doesn't spell that out clearly.

As worded, it's also less clear on the effect when a non-car obstacle is pushed into a mine (as the mines section specifically refers to cars). Any damage or effect on the pusher? What about the obstacle?

And yes, we've already had these things happen in games I've been in.

Also... another minor question related to mines (which hasn't come up yet, but its always good to have these things squashed before they come up): as hitting a mine is very specifically not a collision (again, same section as above), which means that the rules for collisions don't apply. So what order are they resolved in if you touch multiple mines simultaneously? Or a mine and an obstacle simultaneously?

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 12:24 PM   #2
Philip Villarreal
Warehouse 23

Default Re: [Rules] Mines

I poked Sam and Randy about this.

"That section should have been worded better. Here is how to resolve them:

Let's imagine your car pushes an obstacle into a mine. This obstacle could be another player's car or any other non-car obstacle.

1) The moment the mine is touched, you stop and lose the remainder of that particular movement point. If you have additional movement points remaining, they will be spent after the mine is resolved.

If the obstacle that touched the mine is another player's car, THAT PLAYER loses 1 control token for each control token pictured on the mine.

If it is a non-car obstacle, no control tokens are lost.

2) If the mine shows a [star] icon, the obstacle that touched the mine takes damage equal to the amount shown in the icon.

If the obstacle that touched the mine is another player's car, that car takes the damage on the side that is touching the mine. Resolve it just as you would any other incoming damage.

If it is a non-car obstacle that has a durability icon, the obstacle takes the damage. Place damage tokens directly on the obstacle, and remove the obstacle from play once the number of damage tokens equals the obstacle's durability.

If it is a non-car obstacle that does NOT have a durability icon, no damage is dealt.

3) If the mine shows a [fire] icon, a fire starts on the obstacle (if possible).

If the obstacle that touched the mine is another player's car, a fire starts on the side of that car that is touching the mine. If that side is already on fire, the fire icon changes to a [1 star] icon, dealing damage as described in step 2.

Non-car obstacles cannot be set on fire, so the [fire] icon changes to a [1 star] icon, dealing damage as described in step 2.

If the obstacle is a non-car obstacle and does NOT have a durability icon, the [fire] icon has no effect on the obstacle.

4) Remove the mine from play once all effects are resolved — that movement point is over.

NOTE: In the event of an obstacle touching multiple mines/obstacles at once, the player that caused the impacts chooses the order in which they are resolved (like simultaneous collisions)."

Last edited by Philip Villarreal; 10-11-2021 at 12:27 PM. Reason: typos
Philip Villarreal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rules