Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
Hilary_155

Default Help Modern Cars

Hello.
I am looking for modern cars statistics. Car wars seems to have its own genre of vehicles. I am looking for real life cars and their stats: top speed, handling, etc..

I hate asking because I am positive that someone else posted this somewhere in the forums. I just can't seem to work with the search tool. Maybe we need a new search tool with multiple tags AND boolean options, priority assigning, synonym search words and so on. If I put in "modern" it would also search for "contemporary"

Anyway, if someone could point the way to the car stats, I would appreciate it.
Hilary_155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
Anaraxes

Default Re: Help Modern Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilary_155 View Post
a new search tool with multiple tags AND boolean options, priority assigning, synonym search words and so on.
Try Google, and use "site:forums.sjgames.com" as your first search term. Some tips on advanced Google searching can be found here: http://support.google.com/websearch/...&answer=136861
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilary_155 View Post
Hello.
I am looking for modern cars statistics. Car wars seems to have its own genre of vehicles. I am looking for real life cars and their stats: top speed, handling, etc..
Search real world literature, not GURPS. And if they don't just list a max, which they might, be tolerant of somewhat ugly math; the way you determine actual the top speed of a vehicle is by looking up its torque vs rpm curve, convert it into a force vs velocity curve (requires knowing tire radius and gear box ratio), and compare it with the vehicle's drag curve (requires knowing the rolling resistance of the tires on the surface involved, the effective drag area of the vehicle, and the atmospheric density); the max speed is the point where those curves cross, or the speed at which the engine redlines, whichever comes first.

Last edited by Anthony; 06-03-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
Sam Cade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
the max speed is the point where those curves cross, or the speed at which the engine redlines, whichever comes first.
Most modern automobiles are electronically limited to a given speed for efficiency,liability,safety or government requirements and don't get anywhere near their maximum mechanical top speed.

Late model Mustangs and Camaros are both electronically limited to 155mph but both are capable of MUCH MUCH higher speeds.

http://www.jpfo.org/
كافر
Sam Cade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Cade View Post
Most modern automobiles are electronically limited to a given speed for efficiency,liability,safety or government requirements and don't get anywhere near their maximum mechanical top speed.
That may be true for modern performance cars. Plenty of cars simply aren't capable of higher speeds, however.
Quote:
Late model Mustangs and Camaros are both electronically limited to 155mph but both are capable of MUCH MUCH higher speeds.
I wouldn't bet on MUCH MUCH. In fact, I'd be suspicious about claims that factory versions can even reach that speed -- ignoring rolling resistance, it would take 540 horsepower for a car with Cd*A of 2 m^2 (sports car range tends to be 1.9-2.1) to even reach 155 mph at STP.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
Sam Cade

Quote:
That may be true for modern performance cars. Plenty of cars simply aren't capable of higher speeds, however.
Heck, most full size trucks are governed to keep them at safe speeds. My Duramax would shut down at 95 mph.

Quote:
I wouldn't bet on MUCH MUCH. In fact, I'd be suspicious about claims that factory versions can even reach that speed -- ignoring rolling resistance, it would take 540 horsepower for a car with Cd*A of 2 m^2 (sports car range tends to be 1.9-2.1) to even reach 155 mph at STP.
MUCH MUCH faster. Dude, the big V8 in the mustang makes 650hp.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...o-bonneville-2

Quote:
While the Camaro ran into a wall of aero drag at 174.4 mph, the GT500 bumps up against its redline, supercharger screaming, at 184.7 mph. The late Ford GT, with sleeker bodywork but only 10 more horsepower, is good for 200 mph, so it seems logical that the Mustang has a few more miles per hour to unlock. Given longer gearing, I'll bet this thing could hit 190. Still, I'm impressed: If you had this car on the autobahn, you could pull up behind a Porsche 911 (top speed: 180 mph) and flash your headlights in the international signal for "get out of my way, slower car." That's a rapid Ford.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vQHA...eature=related

كافر

Last edited by Sam Cade; 06-03-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #7
Fred Brackin

Quote:
I would be very leery of trying to push a conventionally-bodied Mustang much beyond 185. Somewhere between 190 and 200 is where cars without downforce start to lift off.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #8
Sam Cade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Somewhere between 190 and 200 is where cars without downforce start to lift off.
I like the guys with the trunk lid spoilers and nothing on the chin.

Somewhat on topic, I've had my lightly warmed over R6 lasered at 172.

In daily drive mode:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/153/dsc04681g.jpg/

كافر
Old 06-03-2012, 07:46 PM   #9
Celti

Collective Restraint has put together a large number of modern cars (all 2008 model year) here.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #10
ClayDowling

If there are specific models you're interested in, you can get a lot of information from the manufacturer and from fan forums. Pretty much every vehicle has fan forums.

Congrats on the R6 top speed. So did you become a member of the century club, or was this at a track day?

Tags
car, contemporary, modern, statistics, vehicle