Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-15-2016, 05:00 PM   #241
Eukie

Default Re: GURPS Powers: Enhanced Senses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
However, the physics of how scent travels is decently known (though complex; the math for vision is way easier), the unknown part is mostly what detection thresholds are for various chemicals.
There are certain realms within which the math for vision is way easier (stationary target with grayscale contrast in daylight conditions with no clutter and a narrow search field), but the math for colour contrast of a moving target in a cluttered, foggy scene with partial sky illumination in the mesotopic spectrum with a wide search field is not all that more simpler than smell.
Eukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:49 PM   #242
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
...the unknown part is mostly what detection thresholds are for various chemicals.
This is what I ran into while trying to sort out smell before ES came out. What really complicated matters was that what little research I could find all indicated that detection thresholds varried greatly not just between chemicals but also between people.

A (bad) visual analogy would be if all people see, but different people detect different colors more clearly than others or just comoletely lack them. Frex, I might suck at seeing blue and be awesome at spotting yellow, but you're completely blind to yellow and see orange awesomely. So I wouldnt even know a yellow duckling was two inches from my face, but you could spot a life vest from three miles away.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:44 AM   #243
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I have been told that smileys convey emotions, but I have never been able to figure out what emotions are meant.
There are translation tables. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_emoticons

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:17 AM   #244
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
There are translation tables.
That doesn't surprise me. But I wasn't actually making an appeal for help; I was remarking on a peculiarity of how my brain processes information.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:19 AM   #245
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I was remarking on a peculiarity of how my brain processes information.
There are certainly some weird quirks like that floating around.

I'm OK with smilies usually, but I definitely don't have pareidolia to the degree I'm "supposed to". Cars don't have faces, there is no man in the moon (or rabbit), and I've never been able to see things in clouds. But power sockets do look like faces, more or less.

The dedicated "circuit" for facial identification and/or interpretation in the brain is complicated and has a lot of potential points of failure.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:49 AM   #246
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
The dedicated "circuit" for facial identification and/or interpretation in the brain is complicated and has a lot of potential points of failure.
I mostly get "looks like a face." But I don't find it easy to interpret what emotion a face conveys, not even an actual human face.

Old 07-04-2017, 11:05 PM   #247
Phantasm

Finally got the cash flow to afford this and a few other items which were on my to-get list, and just taking a quick glance through it, I can say this:

I will definitely be digging into this for quick re-works on several of my extant enhanced/animal senses characters, and as a guide for future ones.

Bill, a belated "you've outdone yourself." :)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:29 PM   #248
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
I will definitely be digging into this for quick re-works on several of my extant enhanced/animal senses characters, and as a guide for future ones.

Bill, a belated "you've outdone yourself." :)
Thank you. I had a wonderful time doing the research; this was one of the most research-intensive books I've written. I'm glad to see you benefitting from it.

Old 12-09-2022, 12:29 PM   #249
awesomenessofme1

I know this is an old thread, but it's still the best place to ask this. What exactly is the difference between Hypersensory and Sense-Based, Reversed? I've been going around in circles in a conversation over this and gotten nowhere. Hypersensory is worth so much more points for seemingly a fairly similar limitation, and the book includes both of them on Detect in different abilities.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 12:57 PM   #250
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
I know this is an old thread, but it's still the best place to ask this. What exactly is the difference between Hypersensory and Sense-Based, Reversed? I've been going around in circles in a conversation over this and gotten nowhere. Hypersensory is worth so much more points for seemingly a fairly similar limitation, and the book includes both of them on Detect in different abilities.
IIRC, Hypersensory is a Power Modifier, with the subcomponents of it outlined in the book; I'll have to wait until I get home to check my copy to see what all went into it.

Tags
powers