Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 04-16-2013, 10:37 PM   #1
the_dude

Default Lots of questions

Hi! I love playing munchkin but it's a bit confusing. So I have very many questions.

1) When you trade out a race/weapon/bonus etc. do you put the old one back in your hand, or throw it out? Also, can you only trade them out at certain times because some people are really uncool about trading things out for convenient times.

2) When can you play a go up a level card, and when can you sell items for 1,000 gold and go up a level? Last time I played, I was at lvl 7 and I drew a monster, then I played "go up a level" card, and then I sold some weapons out of my hand for 1,000 gold, and THEN I beat the monster, so that I was at lvl 9 when I killed it. And I won. Was that legal? Also was it legal for me to sell weapons I was currently using?

3) This is a more specific question than a general one, but I was fighting the plattycore, and I really wanted to gain the extra level for killing it without help or bonuses, but that started a dispute over what counted as a bonus or not. Weapons? Pretty balloons, and other similar usable once only cards? Berserking? (I was a warrior)

4) If you are cursed, or for any reason must lose items, do you lose them from your hand, or what your character is currently using? Or can you pick whichever one you want?

Thanks in advance.
the_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:40 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Lots of questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dude View Post
1) When you trade out a race/weapon/bonus etc. do you put the old one back in your hand, or throw it out?
Unless a card specifically says otherwise, once you play a card it NEVER goes back into your hand.

Classes and Races are discarded when you want to get rid of them; you can never have them on the table if you aren't using them.

Items (cards with a Gold Piece value or the phrase "No Value" on the card) may be turned sideways to show that you are not using them, as long as you are not in combat. You can only have one Big item at a time, whether you are using it or not, unless you have a card (such as Dwarf or Cheat!) that lets you break that rule.

Quote:
Also, can you only trade them out at certain times because some people are really uncool about trading things out for convenient times.
You may discard a Class or Race at any time. Items were discussed above. You may play a new Class or Race at any time on your turn, or immediately after getting one (for instance, as part of Charity). You may play a new Item at any time on your turn or immediately after getting one, as long as you are not in combat at the time.

Quote:
2) When can you play a go up a level card, and when can you sell items for 1,000 gold and go up a level? Last time I played, I was at lvl 7 and I drew a monster, then I played "go up a level" card, and then I sold some weapons out of my hand for 1,000 gold, and THEN I beat the monster, so that I was at lvl 9 when I killed it. And I won. Was that legal?
GUAL cards may be played on any player at any time. You can sell Items for a level at any time on your turn except during combat. So no, your play was not entirely legal.

Quote:
Also was it legal for me to sell weapons I was currently using?
Sure, as long as you aren't in combat.

Quote:
3) This is a more specific question than a general one, but I was fighting [Pukachu], and I really wanted to gain the extra level for killing it without help or bonuses, but that started a dispute over what counted as a bonus or not. Weapons? Pretty balloons, and other similar usable once only cards? Berserking? (I was a warrior)
That card is a bit confusing. You get an extra level if you're already Level 7 or higher, or use a negative Monster Enhancer like Baby, so you don't have to use any other bonuses.

Quote:
4) If you are cursed, or for any reason must lose items, do you lose them from your hand, or what your character is currently using? Or can you pick whichever one you want?
Cards in your hand are immune to Curses and Bad Stuff unless the card text specifically mentions them.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:45 AM   #3
the_dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Unless a card specifically says otherwise, once you play a card it NEVER goes back into your hand.

Classes and Races are discarded when you want to get rid of them; you can never have them on the table if you aren't using them.

Items (cards with a Gold Piece value or the phrase "No Value" on the card) may be turned sideways to show that you are not using them, as long as you are not in combat. You can only have one Big item at a time, whether you are using it or not, unless you have a card (such as Dwarf or Cheat!) that lets you break that rule.
Okay, what about bonuses that aren't items? (e.g. the really impressive title, spiky knees, etc.) And also, can I play more items from my hand during combat?
Old 04-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Okay, what about bonuses that aren't items? (e.g. the really impressive title, spiky knees, etc.) And also, can I play more items from my hand during combat?
You can't play "normal" Items from your hand during combat without the use of a card that breaks that rule. One-shot Items (Items that say "usable once only"), can be played to any combat, from in play on the table, and from your hand, and this is stated in the rules in at least two different places. Spiky Knees have a Gold Piece value on them, so they are Items. In the original Munchkin set, the only two Treasures that are not Items and give a persistent combat bonus are Hireling and Really Impressive Title. I'm looking to check to see if Andrew or I have covered this before, but given that they aren't Items, one could assume it is safe to play either of those two cards, even while in combat, until I can find evidence we've said otherwise.

Here are some relevant rules quotes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rules, Combat, p. 2
One-shot items, such as potions, may be played directly from your hand during combat. You can also use one-shot items that you already had in play. One-shot items say “Usable once only.” Discard these cards after the combat, whether you win or lose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rules, Combat, p. 2
While you are in combat, you cannot sell, steal, equip, unequip, or trade items, or play items (except for one-shots)from your hand. Once you expose a monster card, you must resolve the fight with your equipment as it stands, plus any one-shot items you choose to play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rules, Other Treasures, p. 5
Other Treasure cards (like Go Up a Level cards) are “specials.” You may play these at any time, unless the card itself says otherwise. Follow the card’s instructions, then discard it, unless it has a persistent bonus like an Item.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
the_dude

Oh wow, then we've been playing way wrong. That explains why almost every time we fight, bad stuff doesn't happen. So can I trade any cards during combat? Or any sneaky way to get around this like, "hey if you play this card on my combat, I'll pay you later?
Old 04-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
MunchkinMan

The one rules snippet I quoted says that you can't trade while you're in combat, and then trading is only limited to Items you have in play. I.e., you can't trade cards from your hand, regardless of what they are. You could ask a player to play a specific card for some kind of reward from you, but it has to be something you can legally do, like play a GUAL on the player, or trade him an Item from those you have in play when you are not in combat. You can't give a player a Level from the combat, or cards from your hand, normally, so these are not rewards you could offer.

Now, an important thing to note is that while any player is in combat, no one can trade with him, but the players not in combat may trade with each other.
MiB #1029
Old 04-17-2013, 10:29 PM   #7
the_dude

Ok, last question, can you switch which weapons you have in use during combat?
Old 04-17-2013, 11:26 PM   #8
Clipper

Quote:
No you can't.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:26 AM   #9
MunchkinMan

Quote:
No, and that would be covered with the part of the rule that says you cannot equip or unequip Items during combat:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rules
While you are in combat, you cannot sell, steal, equip, unequip. . .
MiB #1029

Tags
bonuses, combat, gameplay, munchkin, selling