Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-12-2006, 03:35 PM   #21
Anthony

Default Re: IT: Diffuse: Can you be crippled and dismembered? (This may need errata)

I'd go with No.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 03:41 PM   #22
NineDaysDead
Banned

Default Re: IT: Diffuse: Can you be crippled and dismembered? (This may need errata)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads
I'd be for the "No": OK, if you are diffuse there's nothing inside your arms that could be crippled (such as muscles, bones, etc.), but if I cut them off... well, they're gone. Think of a blob with pseudopods: if you cut into them, they are still working, because they lack any internal structure that you could damage enough to cripple them; if you cut them, they're on the ground.
I'm confused, given your argument don't you mean "Yes" to the question: Can a diffuse being be dismembered?

Yes. Immunity to crippling applies only to crippling, not dismemberment.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 03:50 PM   #23
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead
I'm confused, given your argument don't you mean "Yes" to the question: Can a diffuse being be dismembered?

Yes. Immunity to crippling applies only to crippling, not dismemberment.
Uh, well, you're right: I misred the options. I am for the "Yes"! :P
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 03:50 PM   #24
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Behold!!! The answer!!!
Have you submitted this to errata@sjgames.com? You should.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 04:00 PM   #25
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads
I'd be for the "Yes": OK, if you are diffuse there's nothing inside your arms that could be crippled (such as muscles, bones, etc.), but if I cut them off... well, they're gone. Think of a blob with pseudopods: if you cut into them, they are still working, because they lack any internal structure that you could damage enough to cripple them; if you cut them, they're on the ground.
Well, a blob is more homogeneous than difuse, but most the blobs I imagine can extend pseudopods from any part of their bodies, and if you cut one, well, you've hurt them, but they can just form another. It's not like the arm had any internal structure. This is why I could think at giving the blob IT: Difuse. Not only they don't have a fixed internal structure, they don't even have a fixed EXTERNAL structure. It can extrude pseudopods, and as such, it has manupulators, but cutting one isn't going more than reduce the total mass of the blob (as represented by general injury -> read HP damage) but it's not going to cripple that manipulator.

Now a blob could be modeled with Homogeneous instead of Difuse, and given Regrouth and Regeneration with appropriate modifers, to get the same effects...
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 06:30 AM   #26
blacksmith

Quote:
You’re the 3rd person to raise this issue, it’s been answered and it’s still irrelevant.
How odd, I was not aware that no manipulators had been cut from 4ed. I remember seeing it in my copies.
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 06:34 AM   #27
blacksmith

Why can say a living being of fire with arms, get the arms crippled by dammage? It takes dammage from physical stuff, if you wanted it to be more immune make it insubstantial with a perment aura that effects the material. Then it could still be crippled but it would be harder.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:50 AM   #28
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith
How odd, I was not aware that no manipulators had been cut from 4ed. I remember seeing it in my copies.
Who said "no manipulators had been cut from 4ed"? Where did anyone say that in this thread?

You've missed the point completely. It's got nothing to do with "no manipulators". Yes, if have "no manipulators" that means they can't be crippled. But even if you have manipulators, they still can't be crippled, if you have IT: Diffuse. In future, I suggest you take the time to read all the posts in a thread, as the issues you raise have already been covered.
Quote:
Why can say a living being of fire with arms, get the arms crippled by dammage?
If they have IT: Diffuse, they cannot be crippled.
Quote:
It takes dammage from physical stuff,
Yes.
Quote:
if you wanted it to be more immune
No.
Quote:
make it insubstantial with a perment aura that effects the material. Then it could still be crippled but it would be harder.
Again, if they have IT: Diffuse, they cannot be crippled.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:38 AM   #29
blacksmith

So any being with diffuse must be able to reform any part of itself? That then compleatly fails to describe a being that can not reform arms, and if it can reform arms why is it limited to 2?

Diffuse with that makes it not able to describe a certain class of being. If you wanted that, buying no manipulators and a version of TK is a better fit anyway.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:09 AM   #30
Gollum

Quote:
The problem I have with this, is that it says "immune to crippling injuries", but an explosive or area attack could still cripple them, so that isn't really immune. If page 60 didn't say "Immune" then your reasoning makes sense.
As it has been explained above, there is a difference between crippling injury and dismemberment.

You cripple a limb when you injure a bone, a muscle, or something else that prevents the creature to use its limb (at least for a while).

But diffuse creatures are "immune" to crippling injuries because they have no bone, no muscle, or nothing else similar. Their whole body is made with the same "diffuse matter".

So, you can't cripple their limb. But you can still dismember them, if you do enough damage to destroy the whole part of their body that forms the limb you are aiming at...

An example? OK.

If I cut just a little ligament on a human's arm (the good ligament), the human in question won't anymore be able to move his arm.

If I destroy one part of a swarm elemental's arm, whatever this part, there will still remain enough insects to allow the elemental swarm to move its arm. To prevent the swarm elemental to move its arm, I must destroy all the insects that forms the arm in question. And I can only do it with an area effect weapon.

So, you can dismember a diffuse creature but you can't cripple it.

And to the question "So any being with diffuse must be able to reform any part of itself?", I answer no. Only creatures with the appropriate advantage can do it.

Does it make sense or am I completely wrong?

Last edited by Gollum; 06-13-2006 at 08:28 AM.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crippling, diffuse