Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-19-2015, 08:02 PM   #71
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: [Mass Combat] Discipline, Law, Order and Preventing Atrocities

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Actually eccentricity is an affectionate term. It is seldom pined on anyone rich or poor if they are blatantly dangerous except as gallows humor. Mad King Ludvig was eccentric. Napoleon was not.
The guy that thinks he's Santa Claus is eccentric. The guy you don't trust around your pets is not.

Reminds me of a Designing Women episode. (Shut up. I loved weird sitcoms as a kid.)
They were dealing with an estate by a known eccentric/crazy woman. But after researching with a friend of the deceased every strange feature had a rational explanation.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:40 AM   #72
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRoach View Post
Presuming they got the lifestyle they were most adapted to.
How many of those street thugs were only one SL from being upstanding citizens? How many of your nobles were a couple SL into the range of "affluenza", as opposed to being mere sociopaths.
You know the one about Eccentricity being Insane, but with Money.

Of course, in a society with strong economic mobility, it's nice to imagine the serious jerks and psychopaths move down the economic ladder while the good, stable, and wholesome move up...instead of vice versa much of the time.
It doesn't matter whether the pirates and street thugs were born more violent and aggressive than the baseline in the society. The qualities are selected for in their particular cultural milieu and it's not as if psychological makeup is fixed. Spend fifteen years in a kill-or-be-killed environment and you'll probably develop some pretty strong influences of that nature.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:50 AM   #73
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
The guy that thinks he's Santa Claus is eccentric. The guy you don't trust around your pets is not.

Reminds me of a Designing Women episode. (Shut up. I loved weird sitcoms as a kid.)
They were dealing with an estate by a known eccentric/crazy woman. But after researching with a friend of the deceased every strange feature had a rational explanation.
That's kind of what I was getting at, yeah. Man King Ludvig, or Emperor Norton, or the guy that thinks he's Santa Claus are a little off but they seem to be enjoying life more-or-less and helping me to enjoy life and they wouldn't hurt my pets.

Tags
forgotten realms, mass combat, social engineering