Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 01-27-2015, 04:26 AM   #21
Jonas

Default Re: Chacteristic foods of your campaigns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Ironic considering how humans are essentially fragile herbivores with an "unnatural" taste for meat.
...I am not sure if you are actually serious or if I failed my spot check for the joke.
----
Per ardua ad astra "Through hard-work to the stars."
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:36 AM   #22
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
...I am not sure if you are actually serious or if I failed my spot check for the joke.
This is actually a nearly religious point among some radical vegetarians (warning, vegetarianism is an issue that gets threads locked quite often).

Human anatomy is somewhat transitional - and many other apes are obligate herbivores. It's actually not that unusual for species to show signs of being adapted to eat something else, or a less than perfect fit to what they are currently eating. Changing your diet is apparently not a particularly hard thing to do evolutionarily, but it takes a while for your dental anatomy and digestive system to catch up.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:29 AM   #23
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Rancke-Madsen View Post
I see synthetic food as being cheaper than "real" food, but also less popular. In my SF game setting, that is.
Hans
Makes sense for a sci-fi setting with a realistic cost to get material into orbit - anything actually grown on a planet is likely to be at a premium (or in the limited volume available in space colonies).

Conversely I never understood how Firefly, with every other stop being a touch-down in low tech farming communities found fresh food hard to come by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Latrans View Post
Last monster the party killed, seasoned with garlic. On a stick.
Someone's been playing NetHack again?
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:25 AM   #24
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Conversely I never understood how Firefly, with every other stop being a touch-down in low tech farming communities found fresh food hard to come by.
Part of that, I think, was the overly long roundabout routes that Mal constantly had Wash program into Serenity's navcomp in order to avoid Alliance patrols, meaning that their fresh food ran out faster than the pre-packaged stuff.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:08 AM   #25
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
Part of that, I think, was the overly long roundabout routes that Mal constantly had Wash program into Serenity's navcomp in order to avoid Alliance patrols, meaning that their fresh food ran out faster than the pre-packaged stuff.
That would probably make sense - it's just that there's a certain amount of dissonance from what's visible on screen where it appears that fresh food is rare and expensive as opposed to running out quickly.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:23 PM   #26
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
So basically he needs to convert some of that useless free volume (which all on screen ships and spacecraft have lots of, you want to be able to get more than one character into a shot) into a bigger freezer?
Old 01-27-2015, 03:31 PM   #27
cbower

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I run a fantasy city police campaign a couple of times a year, in a not-too-serious manner, for murder mysteries. I noticed that it has a couple of characteristic foods - bacon sandwiches and take-away pies - which aren't surprising for street-level policing, although the latest murder victim's pie-buying habits did supply a clue.

A THS campaign I played also had characteristic cuisine - the newest Chinese restaurant in town, whatever it served - but that was a PC's hobby.

Do your campaigns have characteristic food?
Eel and kidney pie. A pasty of fresh eel and pork kidney in a fishbone jelly.

I like to watch my players squirm sometimes. I'm a bad man.
cbower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:44 PM   #28
johndallman
Night Watchman

Eels do worry some people. A group of characters once did a quest for the Temple of the Eel, which was on a fantasy version of the Isle of Ely. One of the players still twitches a lot if it comes up.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:45 PM   #29
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
Physiologically, we're still quite herbivorous; long intestine, ability to chew, stomach acid pH of 4.5 rather than carnivore's 1.5, etc. Our intelligence merely allows us to make meat, and many other items, more digestible and safe, in a sense overriding our frailties. And for the past near million years we've evolved with that level of food preparation getting a bit frailer in some ways and tougher in a few others.
I consider it an amazing form of adaptability, not a call for some silly back to nature veganism.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:56 PM   #30
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbower View Post
Eel and kidney pie. A pasty of fresh eel and pork kidney in a fishbone jelly.

I like to watch my players squirm sometimes. I'm a bad man.
Why do they refer to meats like that? Shouldn't it be pig kidney? Pork is the meat of a pig, but I feel that referring to specific organs should require the use of the blasted animal name. - End weird opinionated rant.

I find it ironic that I am the least easily food disgusted person I've ever met, yet have the strictest dietary requirements.
Born lactose intolerant - Non dairy formula invented in the 20th century.
Diabetic with some odd triggers - why does jalapenos blow up my readings?
No mammals - my one voluntary restriction.

I've gleefully eaten things that made others gag or even get sick. 6 people eat out; 5 get sick.

Tags
campaign, food