Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-10-2010, 12:36 PM   #41
blacksmith

Default Re: Diffuse + DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
So... no Damage Reduction Force Fields? How would you cost one if they were allowed?
IT:DR(effects others, melee, area effect)
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #42
blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by B9anders View Post
Force field doesn't really apply here.

Damage reduction might, might, be applicable for affects others+area effect (though I'd demand a really creative in-game explanation for that kind of effect), but a force field is a protective barrier, not a zone of transformation. That means whatever traits you apply to a force field applies to the barrier itself (and thus protects what it inside it), not to the people inside per se.
Seems to fit well into concepts of buffing aura's in video games.
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:44 PM   #43
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
Given your experience as a GURPS GM, RPK, would it cause a lot of problems if one changed the rule so that FF could be used with IT?
The main benefit of FF is that your gear is protected as well. I think it would be reasonable to do that with IT(DR), but I wouldn't call the enhancement "Force Field" because that might confuse people into thinking that IT(DR) was having some sort of pre-DR effect.

The way I'd envision such a thing would be a field that bestowed the IT(DR) advantage upon everyone and everything (i.e., everyone's gear). That's easily done with Affects Others and Area Effect already, plus a +20% custom enhancement "gear also gains IT(DR)". The result would be that everyone around you, and their stuff, would take reduced injury when damage penetrated their DR.

That's well within the scope of the RAW -- Injury Tolerance is one of the advantages that can be granted to objects. Most of 'em already have either Homogenous or Unliving, after all, and IT(DR) is cumulative with either.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:17 AM   #44
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty
The main benefit of FF is that your gear is protected as well. I think it would be reasonable to do that with IT(DR), but I wouldn't call the enhancement "Force Field" because that might confuse people into thinking that IT(DR) was having some sort of pre-DR effect.
"Only the names have been changed..." :)

This is the kind of effect I was envisioning. All we are doing is ignoring the secondary benefit of FF, that it applies before armor, to get the part that we really want, which is extending the defensive benefits over an area.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damage resistance, diffuse, swarm