Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-28-2022, 07:37 AM   #111
Icelander

Default Re: Thompson/Center Contender as a takedown rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajardoor View Post
I remember someone reading a novel written around late-1990s on a different forum, where an assassin uses a Contender to murder a senator. The assassin does indeed use the Contender's easy assemble-dissemble to conceal it (along with a prepared change of clothes and hat and hairstyle, IIRC). I think the assassin hid the dissembled Contender parts under her shirt, along her back.
I love scenes like that, which highlight the preparation and knowledge of skilled characters. Part of having high adventuring skills is knowing exactly what equipment is needed for a given task, even a task with a very esoteric set of requirements.
Old 04-28-2022, 06:56 PM   #112
fredtheobviouspseudonym

Default Re: Takedown Rifles (1990s)

Another option might be the Remington XP-100. It was compact for its size/accuracy, and fired a short .223 round. Probably not accurate much beyond 200 yards or so, but compact and could probably be machined to have a detachable barrel to make it more compact. Appeared in the early 1960s. I'm not a conspiracy buff but if you think that about the JFK assassination, I think that the assassin could be a mistreated former lover of JFK (no shortage of possibilities there; read The Dark Side of Camelot for examples), said assassin firing an XP-100 from the Grassy Knoll & dropping the weapon into a large purse and fleeing the scene with the others in the panicked crowd. (I doubt that Texas State/Dallas Police of the time would immediately suspect and search a woman.) Makes more sense than most of the theories.
fredtheobviouspseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 06:11 AM   #113
Icelander

Default Remington XP-100 and XP-100R

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtheobviouspseudonym View Post
Another option might be the Remington XP-100. It was compact for its size/accuracy, and fired a short .223 round. Probably not accurate much beyond 200 yards or so, but compact and could probably be machined to have a detachable barrel to make it more compact. Appeared in the early 1960s. I'm not a conspiracy buff but if you think that about the JFK assassination, I think that the assassin could be a mistreated former lover of JFK (no shortage of possibilities there; read The Dark Side of Camelot for examples), said assassin firing an XP-100 from the Grassy Knoll & dropping the weapon into a large purse and fleeing the scene with the others in the panicked crowd. (I doubt that Texas State/Dallas Police of the time would immediately suspect and search a woman.) Makes more sense than most of the theories.
After a 1980s redesign (which changed the grip and lengthened the barrel), it could chamber normal .223 Remington, as well as some other lower power rounds, like the .35 Remington. Once it was redesigned again in the 1990s, as the XP-100R, it could fire .308 Win or several efficient long-range rounds like 6 BR Remington, 7-08 Remington and eventually even the .260 Remington, as well as the .350 Remington Magnum if any large animals needed putting down. The XP-100R model had an internal magazine of several rounds.

I've featured the Remington XP-100 in a campaign before.

Last edited by Icelander; 04-29-2022 at 06:17 AM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 08:01 AM   #114
Varyon

Default Re: There was an arms cache accessible to the PCs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
... They ended up not taking the time to find the cache, dig it up, ready all the gear for use and the risk being arrested with unlicensed firearms,

Entirely reasonable, motivated by a healthy fear of legal consequences and completely out of character for nearly all PCs, even those who are not Murder Hoboes.

Now the PCs are in another world where the locals seem to have TL0, there is a wrecked TL4 sloop and while they PCs have scavenged some archaic weaponry, they'll run out of lead for shot and powder to fire it quick.
An outstanding reminder to everyone reading of one very important rule of GM'ing - no plan survives contact with the players...
Old 04-30-2022, 06:24 AM   #115
Icelander

Default Re: There was an arms cache accessible to the PCs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
An outstanding reminder to everyone reading of one very important rule of GM'ing - no plan survives contact with the players...
Heh.

I wouldn't so much say it was a plan, so much that from prior experience of some of the players, I was fairly sure that they'd ask their employer for a way to get their hands on weaponry if they saw any hint of danger.

Which... turned out to be true, in a way, in that they explored the possibility, just when they were immersed in events on the island with the luxury resort, they didn't want to take several hours out of their day to sail to the next island and obtain weapons. Especially not if that would expose them to legal risks if the police came over, as some players were contemplating calling the cops.

But it is a good reminder that if you want to have coherent worldbuilding whereever the players choose to focus, you need to prepare a lot of stuff that never gets used.

Tags
guns, high-tech, monster hunters, tactical shooting