Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default Advice/Help Creating Powers

I'm requesting more help with the powers that I've had trouble building.

Amaterasu I: Short-range Burning Death (Magic, pg. 76).
Amaterasu II: Short-range fiery defensive ability.
Tsukuyomi I: Short-range hypnosis-type Affliction.
Tsukuyomi II: Short-range "healing slumber" Affliction.
Susanoo: No idea yet.

Amaterasu and Tsukuyomi are meant to be short-ranged, require concentration, and have the backlash of the One Eye disadvantage or the Blindness disadvantage if used together. They could easily have limitations like Takes Recharge or Limited Use on top of that. Also, the two abilities that have the same names will also be Alternative to save on some points. None of these powers have been built and polished yet. These five abilities are being built for a 255 (including disadvantages) point character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Healing Slumber
Causes the target to fall asleep and if the sleep is deep enough he gains supernatural recuperative powers for the duration. This can be set for any length of time the caster desires.
Statistics: Affliction 5 (Affliction Sleep +150% with Permanent Duration +150%; Secondary Effects +98%: Metabolism Control 10 (Only while sleeping, -50%), Rapid Healing (Only while sleeping, -50%), Regeneration (Regular, Only while sleeping, -50%), Very Fit (Only while sleeping, -50%)) [249]

Pricey but there are no limitations on it yet, as I don't know your campaign or goals well enough. As it is this is a powerful attack that can put a target to sleep with a HT-5 to resist. If critically fail or fail by 5 or more then the secondary healing powers take effect. Metabolism Control changes the sleep to Hibernation and lets the caster specify a time to wake up.
Refplace's idea is great, but too pricey and it only needs to be able to heal HP. It also needs to follow the guidelines for my powers above. I am by no means an expert in building Afflictions. In fact, I'm terrible at it.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Advice/Help Creating Powers

As I mentioned in the other thread, give us more to work with. For example how many points do you want one of these to cost?
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
Anaraxes

The place to start is usually the game-mechanical effects you're looking for. "Defensive ability" is a bit broad. Combat Reflexes? Enhanced Dodge? A damage shield? Retributive Strike? Fire resistance? All kinds of things are "defensive" and could be justified as "fiery".

So tell us more about the character. What's his schtick? What cool things do you want him to do in-game? Theme, personality, something to narrow down the near-infinite number of choices.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:52 PM   #4
vierasmarius

If the sleep effect itself is not intended to be able to force targets into unconsciousness, but instead help ease them into a restful sleep, I'd drop the Affliction entirely. Instead you could use a Perk - basically, a "sleeping drug" Accessory that can help a willing subject fall asleep, perhaps giving a slight bonus against things like Nightmares, Light Sleeper, that sort of thing. In place of Afflicted Regen, it could be a "delayed" Healing power (Kromm's got a suggested build for Healing that restores its HP over an extended period) limited to only affect sleeping targets. Of course, this would give a power that can put someone to sleep for not much longer than their normal sleep cycle would be. If the power is supposed to drop someone into a weeks-long healing torpor, you'd still need Metabolism Control, in which case the Affliction build would make sense.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:56 AM   #5
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Preferred point cost total: 120
This brings is to a cost of ~35 each with the alternative abilities ending up at ~7.

The character is based off of Izanagi from Japanese mythology. These are his five signature abilities based off of the three deities that come from him when he washes his face after escaping the underworld. Amaterasu comes from the left eye and is the goddess of the sun. Tsukuyomi comes from the right eye and is the god of the moon. Susanoo comes from the nose and is a powerful warrior-god of storms. The character will be a Japanese-themed warrior (more or less a samurai, but not that good). The setting is a quasi-Eberron setting. Think TL 3+2, but technology has little impact on the specific continent the characters are on now.
Related TV Tropes: Type II, Disney Anti-Hero, Martyr Without a Cause, The Leader, Combat Medic, The Red Mage.

All of the abilities should require Concentration to be held out. This is important concerning the Temporary Disadvantage the abilities are supposed to impose. Each ability is supposed to work at a short range too. No more than 10 yards away. None of the abilities need to be super powerful, but they do need to be potent enough to get by until he can buy more levels.

Amaterasu I: Burning Death (Magic, pg. 76) as an Innate Attack. This power should be extremely similar to the spell, but be able to work at a short range and be held out by concentration rather than continue touch. The power will have my special -25% limitation which imposes the One Eye disadvantage, but turns to Blindness if used with Tsukuyomi. Applicable limitations would be: All-Out, Backlash: Irritant: Moderate Pain, Costs Fatigue, and Limited Use.

Amaterasu II: Fiery defensive ability. As far as what type of defense, I'm not too sure. I'm almost thinking of having it be a wall of flames Burning Innate Attack. The power will have my special -25% limitation which imposes the One Eye disadvantage, but turns to Blindness if used with Tsukuyomi. Applicable limitations would be: Backlash: Irritant: Moderate Pain, Costs Fatigue, and Limited Use.

Tsukuyomi I: Mind-altering Affliction. While I was originally thinking of some kind of hypnotic affliction, madness would also be fitting of the moon theme. It should be something that will stop an enemy from attacking. The power will have my special -25% limitation which imposes the One Eye disadvantage, but turns to Blindness if used with Amaterasu. I feel like it should also require the target to have eye contact and maybe a certain level of IQ to work. Applicable limitations would be: Costs Fatigue, and Limited Use.

Tsukuyomi II: Healing slumber-type Affliction. I am considering going one of two ways: 1) the combat-effective second-by-second slow-heal sleep, or 2) the not combat-effective, minute-by-minute, fast-heal sleep. It only needs to be able to heal lost health. The power will have my special -25% limitation which imposes the One Eye disadvantage, but turns to Blindness if used with Amaterasu. Applicable limitations would be: Costs Fatigue, Limited Use, and Reverse Vision-Based.

Susanoo: No concrete idea yet. I was thinking of letting this attack "summon" the Three Sacred Treasures of Japan. The sword Kusanagi could be made of lightning to preserve the storm theme. The mirror Yata no Kagami could be made into a shield that deflects/reflects all missile attacks. The jewel Yasakani no Magatama could be used to call down a powerful storm of wind and rain. I'm sure they could each be created as an Ally, or maybe someone has a completely different idea of what this ability could be.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
affliction, innate attack, moon, powers, sun